La Fauvette Steam Yacht

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

Let's get together up there !!

But would it be really relaxing :rofl2:

CC

Not until we had poured enough single malt down you.

Martian Harsh but Fair 👽

• Thanks 1

The last couple of days have felt like I am running just to stand still. Mostly this is due to me working on all the attachment points for the rigging. This has involved improving the appearance of the tiny cleats supplied in the kt and having to relocate the frames that take some of the standing rigging. I have also scratched some plates for the shrouds, the kit items being blob of plastic, and drilled holes to take the chain wales. Also very time consuming was fabricating the frames that take belaying pins that sit just aft of the masts. I would like to add the pins themselves and tie off the rigging in the approved manner, although I have a suspicion that that might be pushing it a bit in this scale. I will see what the finest thread I can lay my tentacles on is, add the belaying pins from fine Albion Alloys' brass stock and take it from there.

I have drilled out a couple of hole for the hawser pipes, the kit failing to provide any and will add some reinforcement to them during my next session on the boat.

Thanks for looking

Martian 👽

030.jpg

031.jpg

032.jpg

033.jpg

• Like 11

A quick second update for all you lucky Earthlings. I decided that I needed to get the booms attached to the masts in order to get the final layout of the main deck sorted; in particular where the davits are going to be fitted so that the lifeboats do not foul the ship's rigging. I initially boobed with the foremast by gluing on the boom too square. Fortunately I cottoned on that it was fitted at a much more acute angle on the vessel before the glue had set, at least tube cement does have it's occasional advantage. Having got the booms fitted, I then flooded the joints with super goo so that everything will be good and strong. We don't want anything to one adrift when I start bunging string at the model. Assuming that the kit lifeboats are more or less the correct size, I can now see that the vessel must have been fitted with radial davits as have the boats resting on the main deck would have left precious little room for the owner and his guests. We can ask General Melchett but I can't see ladies or members of the Imperial General Staff wanting to have to climb around such encumbrances in the long dresses of the period. On a pleasure vessel as much unencumbered deck space as possible would be desirable.

Time to start thinking about the yardarms soon.

Thanks for looking (again)

Martian 👽 

034.jpg

035.jpg

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Only if you remember the bottle opener

I am never without my trusty Swiss Army Knife. I remember an IPMS Nationals at Stoneleigh one year when every one had remembered to bring beer along but nobody had remembered a bottle opener. We ended up having to wrap a clean snot rag around the top of the beer bottles and levering the tops off with our teeth.

Martian 👽

• Haha 4

Gidday, I didn't know martians had teeth.

I like your additions to the vessel, and I think the rails for the belaying pins could be called 'Fife rails'.

Regards, Jeff.

Edited by ArnoldAmbrose
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, I didn't know martians had teeth.

I like your additions to the vessel, and I think the rails for the belaying pins could be called 'Fife rails'.

Regards, Jeff.

A mistake many have made to their cost!

Thanks Jeff, this is the sort of thing I am hoping to learn from this build.

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

Super progress and what a fine looking vessel B)

Rob

Thanks Rob, I'm looking forward to getting some paint on her.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

I was looking at the yardarms I bought from Master last night and decided that they were in fact, too flimsy for this scale. No matter, they can be used on my 1/350 HMS Agamemnon kit instead. Looking through my box of plastic stock, I found some thickish plastic rod which looked like it might form the basis of a set of yard arms. Much whittling of plastic and a surrounded by a sea of shavings later, I found that I had managed to produce the required parts much more easily than I had expected. A small rebate was then filed in the centre of each yardarm to take the mast and the parts cemented in place with tube cement. When the cement had begun to grip, the joins were reinforced with gap filling CA. From the paintings it would appear that the yardarms it seems that they were held n place with some sort of square lashings. These will be added after the mast and yards have been painted. There seem to have been some platforms on the masts and these were scratch build form .40 'thou plastic card. Having been allowed to set overnight, everything seems to be nice and secure this morning.

Thanks for looking 

Martian 👽

036.jpg

037.jpg

• Like 13

Hello Dear Green Alien !!

Nice fife rails :whistle:  I'm learning fast....

You will have me down with single malt ??? :cheers:

I know that you are an alien of great taste !!

Do not forget to paint these white line on the bridge...

It's a leisure ship after all !

Great job !!

CC

• Haha 1

Sorry, just recovering after a monumental birthday bash for one of the senior officers at the weekend, which involved much merriment, an eighteen-wheeler of single malt, a great deal of crude graffiti in the Victory Garden, a garden hose and serious (but careful) scrubbing of the regimental Rothchilds Porcupine. What passes for normal service has resumed here at M Towers now that the mopping up teams have done their best with the NBC chemicals at their disposal....though how we'll get the stains out of the dog's kennel is way beyond me.

Mrs Martian would have to sit on the roof of the car all the way back to Pool. I can't see her going along with that one. 

I'm sorry, is there an issue here, where is her esprit d'aventure?

Drove through Waddo the other day. You really should get Darling to remove the April fools Regimental flag from the East wing tower.

I mean, A Unicorn rampant wearing pink bloomers on a shield verde? The colour clash alone could mean cashiering or even a posting to India!

And the motto! My Latin is a bit rusty but, I mean, Fnar!

Oh dear, has he been at it again? he only did this because he wasn't invited to the shindig on Saturday night...in fairness, he was a little miffed when I dismissed him immediately after he'd unstacked the chairs, rearranged the lace doilies and unloaded the paper clips in preparation for the onslaught to come. The unicorn was Bladricks idea and the pink bloomers, Lieutenant George, (apparently, something to do with his uncle Rupert, Minister of War, I didn't ask). As for the colour clash, you're obviously forgetting that Darling's a card-carrying member of the colourblind Hedgehog Workshop of Sienna...

Great progress, the whole shooting match's starting to come together nicely..well done that Martian,

We can ask General Melchett but I can't see ladies or members of the Imperial General Staff wanting to have to climb around such encumbrances in the long dresses of the period.

Obviously, you don't know the sort of women I hang out with...they'll hoik a skirt with the best of us and thank you for it!

Edited by general melchett
  • Haha 3

Gidday Martian, your model continues to improve. I think the correct term for the horizontals supporting square sails are 'yards', and you have tapered them very well. The 'yard arms' are the ends of the yards I believe. The horizontals (or near horizontals) supporting fore-and-aft sails are booms or gaffs, and the whole lot, masts yards and booms are collectively 'spars'. If you know any Master Mariners then please check with them, and don't blindly take the word of an ex-part-timer like me. And please carry on - I'm enjoying following this. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Dear Green Alien !!

Nice fife rails :whistle:  I'm learning fast....

You will have me down with single malt ??? :cheers:

Seeing as you are not actually here, I will have to drink yours for you. Hang on, I'll just go and get it. That's better, its going down well. The sacrifices I have to make for fellow Britmodellers! 

7 hours ago, general melchett said:

I'm sorry, is there an issue here, where is her esprit d'aventure?

Great progress, the whole shooting match's starting to come together nicely..well done that Martian,

Thanks General. I' not sure where Mrs Martian's spirit of adventure has got to but I have sent her out and told her not to come back before she has discovered what she did with it.

4 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Martian, your model continues to improve. I think the correct term for the horizontals supporting square sails are 'yards', and you have tapered them very well. The 'yard arms' are the ends of the yards I believe. The horizontals (or near horizontals) supporting fore-and-aft sails are booms or gaffs, and the whole lot, masts yards and booms are collectively 'spars'. If you know any Master Mariners then please check with them, and don't blindly take the word of an ex-part-timer like me. And please carry on - I'm enjoying following this. Regards, Jeff.

Thanks Jeff, I shall try and remember all those technical terms, especially as I intend to build more of these types of kit.

4 hours ago, Courageous said:

With the 'sticks' on, she's looking rather elegant, good show.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart, am I to understand that sticks is another technical term I have to learn?

Martian 👽

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Courageous said:

You have a large enough vocabulary to worry about my 'technical' terms :rofl:.

Stuart

Well, I have never been accused of being at a loss for words if that's what you are getting at. 

Shrinking violet of Mars 👽

• Haha 1

Gidday Martian, I forgot about 'sticks', a nickname for the masts. If you want any more technical terms I'm sure Bandsaw could invent a few for you.

And sending Mrs Martian off, telling her not to come back until she finds her Spirit of Adventure? You martians are braver than us earthlings. This earthling anyway.

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Martian, I forgot about 'sticks', a nickname for the masts. If you want any more technical terms I'm sure Bandsaw could invent a few for you.

And sending Mrs Martian off, telling her not to come back until she finds her Spirit of Adventure? You martians are braver than us earthlings. This earthling anyway.

Regards, Jeff.

10 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Its alright Jeff, we are on a very small island so she can't go far and I have the keys to the spaceship. All I have to do is to stand at the door of the cottage and shout Whisky! That usually does the trick.

There we go, just typing the word seems to have worked!

Martian 👽

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Yes, the correct nautical term for ‘sticks’ is ‘cobbledodgers’ 🤔

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, longshanks said:

She's starting to look a classy lady!

Kev

Thanks Kev. I had not expected to get this far so quickly and am now kicking myself that I did not bring my book on rigging model ships with me so I could make a start on fabricating the rigging attachment points for the cobbledodgers. I guess the final couple of days will be spent carving blocks and tackle, a tedious job in this scale if ever there was one.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

As a result of having returned home to a properly equipped work room, I have got quite a bit more done over the last couple of days. First lesson, don't forget the liquid cement when going away, you can make much quicker progress if you have some of the stuff. That said it was quite nostalgic using tube cement again and to be reminded that it still has it's uses.

Anyhow, I began by adding the rubbing strakes to the hull from .20 x .20 plastic strip. Next up, belaying pins were added to the fife rails from Albion Alloy's tubing. I don't know if I will be able to tie the rigging off in the approved manner but at least I now have the opportunity to have a go.

I have also added some cross tees to the  masts cobbledodgers and started adding attachment points for the standing rigging. The main effort though has been to completely rebuild the attachments for the shrouds and the associated chain wales, the kit parts being shapeless blobs and involved twenty four parts per mast thus far. It really strained my concentration but I think the result was worth the effort.

I now need to decide if the model needs cat heads. I really can't decide from the paintings if the real ship had them fitted or not. My gut reaction is that she probably did have them as the more I get into this model, the more I get the feeling that she was just an ordinary top sail schooner with an auxiliary engine fitted. This however is one of these situations where I need advice from those far more knowledgeable than me before I commit myself one way or the other.

I have also added a tiny rail around the edge of the compass platform and stairs from .10 x .10 plastic strip to give the railings a bit better grip when they are attached later in the build.

Thanks  for looking

Martian 👽

041.jpg

038.jpg

039.jpg

040.jpg

• Like 9