La Fauvette Steam Yacht

4 hours ago, general melchett said:

Football...what the deuce is going on....ball's the wrong shape, pullovers for goalposts, any proper physical contact considered a foul and to top it all, Oxford!!...good lord tell me it isn't so

I fear it is so, I am a life long fan. You also forgot the oranges at half time bit.

39 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

You forgot "amateur dramatics" and "comedic acting".

Ian

You seem to be confused Ian, that's Swindon Town! :hanging:

Martian 👽

• Haha 4

In a desperate, though probably futile attempt to drag this thread back on topic, I thought I best let you Guys know what has been occurring on the plastic front. Closer examination of the paintings indicate that Fauvette had two separate deck houses and that the aft mast is wrongly located in the kit, along with the lifeboats. I finally decided that I could do a cut and shut job on the kit deck house parts and that it would be easier all round if the deck house roof was ditched altogether. Maybe Heller had some reference for this kit that is not generally available, if not then I would like to know what they were taking at the time. Perhaps we could feed some to General Melchett to try and calm him down a bit when he gets a bit over excited. :frantic:

Anyway here is where we are at now. The deck heads look a bit wonky a I am waiting for the tube cement to dry so I can trim them to shape.

Thanks for looking

Martian 👽

015.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, longshanks said:

Lovely looking boat. Good to see you overcoming the tribulations.

I'm assuming it's alright to comment on the modelling?? 😉

Kev

Thanks Kev, you can comment on whatever you like really, the usual suspects (of which I have to admit to being one) won't take any notice of me anyway. I just feel some token fettling ought to form part of a thread now and again.

As to the kit, it seems that every attempt to correct something, opens up a new can of worms. :worms: Trying to do the job with three paintings that may or may not be accurate is a bit difficult as well.

Martian 👽

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Ah, Oxford, dreaming spires, Of course the University is known as the Latin quarter.

--- .. ... --- --- -- sorry, that's Morse.

I'm Town and Mrs Martian is gown, historically an explosive combination.  :repuke:  https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/10/day-1355-university-fracas-ends-93-dead-birth-600-year-long/

It's amazing we got together in the first place rather than going down the mutually assured destruction route. 

1 hour ago, longshanks said:

Fettling such an evocative word to describe 🤬  🤧😞 and self abuse :banghead:

Kev

You seem to have written that from bitterly learned experience Kev. I had never thought about it that way before but upon reflection, I find myself heartily agreeing with you.

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I fear it is so, I am a life long fan. 

It's beyond all reasoning...

In a desperate, though probably futile attempt to drag this thread back on topic, I thought I best let you Guys know what has been occurring on the plastic front...........I am waiting for the tube cement to dry 

Never mind all that, what in the name of Thor's sainted Y-Fronts is 'Tube Cement'...this isn't the 1800's man... an abomination dredged up from the modelling pre-dawn of time, or is it something you found lying dormant, amid piles of dried up Humbrol tins and clapped out paintbrushes at the bottom of your spaceship hobby desk prior to leaving Mars for Auld Reekie?

Fettling, such an evocative word to describe self abuse 

'Fettling' isn't a dirty word Kev.....(dangerously close to being one without actually being one...) now, 'fiddling' is positively disgusting...

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, general melchett said:

It's beyond all reasoning...

Never mind all that, what in the name of Thor's sainted Y-Fronts is 'Tube Cement'...this isn't the 1800's man... an abomination dredged up from the modelling pre-dawn of time, or is it something you found lying dormant, amid piles of dried up Humbrol tins and clapped out paintbrushes at the bottom of your spaceship hobby desk prior to leaving Mars for Auld Reekie?'

Humbrol? Go and wash your mouth out you naughty general you. I haven't used that muck for decades, mostly on the grounds that it has long since stopped doing what it says on the tin. In fact the best sort of Humbrol enamel is the dried up sort, that way it can't harm lovingly fettled styrene anymore. I did use some of their coloured snot (acrylic) a couple of years ago when there was no other way to get the colour I needed but even thinned to the Nth degree and sprayed at very low pressure it gave a pebbledash effect.

I do have a plan to do a nostalgia build using Airfix tube cement and enamels but then they always worked as advertised.

Shocked of Mars 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

There has been more progress on the build.  decided that I was not happy with the look of the after deck house and cut it back some more. This done, I trimmed back the deck house roofs. The mizzen mast was very floppy in the hole that I had drilled in the main deck for it. Looking at the kit part for the deck house roof, I decided that I could recycle the bit that contained the rebate for the mast. I cut this from the kit part and glued it into an enlarged hole in the main deck. Now the mast more or less stays where it is meant to go. On the subject of the masts, I noticed that the boom for the aft main sail was way too thick as supplied in the kit and the same boom for the foremast was absent entirely. Fortunately the kit sprues are thick enough for me to whittle them into some replacement booms. I feel that I am getting close to the layout of the real ship now.  At least, there is not much left of the kit for me to have to change to match the paintings.

I have also got the funnel together, blanked off the inside to allow for some extra detail and fitted the vents that go either side of it. These have now been glued to the roof of the forward deck house. Thinking ahead, I have glued the lifeboats together. Here we seem to have another conundrum. The kit would have you glue the boats to the roof of the deck house whereas all three pictures of the vessel show them slung out board from their davits between the two deck houses. Is this likely to be the usual method of stowage? I would have thought they would have been vulnerable to swinging about like this or is there a way of rigging them so that they don't? The opinions of those far more learned than I are most welcome here.

Another matter that is exercising the Martian grey matter is what to do about the railings that surround the top of the forward deck house. If they were made of wood, then the kit parts will probably do at a pinch. If however, they were metal, does anyone know of a source of 1/200 railings that does not cost the earth? All the etch I have looked at seems to be part of much larger sets for capital ships. Upwards of £30 for about five inches of railing seems a tad extravagant. 

I now need to try and  think of a way to attach the shrouds to the masts so that the join is strong but does not look too toy-like. I now wish that I had brought my box of spare etched parts along with me as I fee sure that the answer lies there.

Incidentally, I must apologise for any incorrect terminology used in this thread. My experience is totally on motor boats and although I love looking at sailing vessels, my knowledge of them and how they work is sketchy at best. Please feel free to correct me when I get things wrong; its the quickest way for me to learn.

Thanks for looking

Martian 👽

018.jpg

019.jpg

• Like 9

Gidday Martian, She's coming along nicely. As for your questions I first have to state that my knowledge of this type of vessel is very limited (read 'almost zilch'). These are simply my impressions. Sailing warships such as HMS Victory stowed their boats on tiers well inboard, although some may have had quarter boats on davits. They had to operate in all weathers and had large crews to manage them. Your vessel to me appears more of a pleasure craft, more likely to sail in more moderate weather. I don't think there would be much pleasure when the sea's fury is at it's worst. Therefore, in your case the davits might be the way to ship the boats. Particularly as all three paintings seem to support this.

I stress again that these are my thoughts only. If more learned modelers respond then certainly take heed of them. I think the bottom line here is, however, that this is your model so do what you think looks the best. HTH. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎02‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 13:51, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Martian, She's coming along nicely. As for your questions I first have to state that my knowledge of this type of vessel is very limited (read 'almost zilch'). These are simply my impressions. Sailing warships such as HMS Victory stowed their boats on tiers well inboard, although some may have had quarter boats on davits. They had to operate in all weathers and had large crews to manage them. Your vessel to me appears more of a pleasure craft, more likely to sail in more moderate weather. I don't think there would be much pleasure when the sea's fury is at it's worst. Therefore, in your case the davits might be the way to ship the boats. Particularly as all three paintings seem to support this.

I stress again that these are my thoughts only. If more learned modelers respond then certainly take heed of them. I think the bottom line here is, however, that this is your model so do what you think looks the best. HTH. Regards, Jeff.

Thanks Arnold, I think you are probably right. I found a painting of the Fauvette's successor, the rather unimaginatively named Fauvette II and that also shows the boats suspended on davits facing outboard. It will be interesting to see what others think, especially as to how one goes about rigging the boats so that they are not swinging about all over the place.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

The answer to your lifeboat stowage is both in and out. :hypnotised:

I think you're looking at Radial Davits. So when stowed they would be on the deck house roof. They are then swung out as per description

P1060850 (Copy)

P1060851 (Copy)

My suggestion would be swung out at anchor, abandoning ship etc.

So if at sea they would be stowed.

HTH if you need more I'm on call ... 😉

Kev

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, longshanks said:

The answer to your lifeboat stowage is both in and out. :hypnotised:

I think you're looking at Radial Davits. So when stowed they would be on the deck house roof. They are then swung out as per description

P1060850 (Copy)

P1060851 (Copy)

My suggestion would be swung out at anchor, abandoning ship etc.

So if at sea they would be stowed.

HTH if you need more I'm on call ... 😉

Kev

Thanks Kev, Looking at the kit parts, radial davits would seem to fit the bill. There is no deck house on the part of the ship where they are fitted but something along the lines of the insert in your picture looks like a good bet for when they are stowed.

Martian 👽

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

although I love looking at sailing vessels, my knowledge of them and how they work is sketchy at best.

It's all to do with wind. (F'nar).

BTW, Does the cottage where you are staying have stone flagged floors? 'Cos if the mizzen mast goes mizzen you can't blame the carpet monster!

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

does anyone know of a source of 1/200 railings that does not cost the earth?

Hi Martian have you had a look on the Atlantic Models site Peter Hall has a set of generic 1/200 scale railings for about £15 in the Misc section of the PE sets but if this is too much to be left over after what you need let me know how much you need and I might have some spare I can send you in the post

Beefy  Trying to be helpful for once  :angel:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Strewth, all these wonderful nautical terms are just too good to ignore...I mean 'frapping rope', 'rove parbuckles', 'staghorn bollards' and 'tackle for hauling gripes taut'!....(and does that really say 'pudding')...good lord, it sounds like some floating medieval pleasure-palace, (either that or characters from the fertile mind of JRR Tolkien).

To my decidedly limited nautical mind, but having built quite a few floaters now, I'd agree with Kev's idea of having them 'tackle out ' when at anchor, abandoning ship or even in local coastal waters and stowed when fully at sea. To be honest there's not a lot of info on this old crate to be sure with any certainty. Most of the online images of steam yachts portray later boats (circa 1905 on) and the lifeboats look to be carried in the stowed 'inward'position, would they be much different in earlier vessels? Not sure if that helps...probably not!

Does the cottage where you are staying have stone flagged floors? 

All depends on which flags Pete...D is a safe bet!

1-a078d16ce65826208ec2230a6751e69e-001.j

• Haha 5

36 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

Hi Martian have you had a look on the Atlantic Models site Peter Hall has a set of generic 1/200 scale railings for about £15 in the Misc section of the PE sets but if this is too much to be left over after what you need let me know how much you need and I might have some spare I can send you in the post

Beefy  Trying to be helpful for once  :angel:

Thanks Beefy, I have emailed Peter to see if he has a set.

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

It's all to do with wind. (F'nar).

BTW, Does the cottage where you are staying have stone flagged floors? 'Cos if the mizzen mast goes mizzen you can't blame the carpet monster!

Careful, you are turning into @CedB and if that happens we shall have to get the BM vet in!

The cottage has wall to wall grey carpeting which has managed to swallow a carefully crafted part. I hope the midges get this particular specimen.

Miffed of Mars 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, general melchett said:

To my decidedly limited nautical mind, but having built quite a few floaters now, I'd agree with Kev's idea of having them 'tackle out ' when at anchor, abandoning ship or even in local coastal waters and stowed when fully at sea. To be honest there's not a lot of info on this old crate to be sure with any certainty. Most of the online images of steam yachts portray later boats (circa 1905 on) and the lifeboats look to be carried in the stowed 'inward position, would they be much different in earlier vessels? Not sure if that helps...probably not!

Thanks General, it does help somewhat as we seem to be closing in on radial davits and that seems to chime with the kit parts. That just leaves me to decide whether to have them rigged inboard or outboard.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

I had not intended to do much, if any, interior detail on the deck houses but closer examination of the forward house indicates that I need to at least add the funnel casing as that is going to be very visible through the windows. Fortunately, I did bring a good supply of plastic stock along with me, so it was a simple matter to find a tube of suitable diameter. A small bit of tubing was also added to the inside of the top of the funnel casing. 

The kit supplies a box type binnacle, which seems believable enough for the period we are talking about. The kit instructions would have you glue this to the stern of the vessel, whereas the paintings clearly show the wheel and binnacle situated on the top of the forward deck house. It was no big deal to drill a hole in the top of the deck house and to glue it in place.

Study of the paintings failed to reveal any sort of ladders leading to the forward deck house roof. Logically, if the paintings are accurate and there is no external access, then the roof/compass platform must have been accessed from inside the deck house. My thoughts turned to Heller's instructions which draw out attention to the internal staircase. It occurred to me that the owner of a luxury yacht might well want a more comfortable access to the compass platform than a ladder. OK he would have had a crew to operate the vessel for him but it would not have been unreasonable for him to want to steer his own vessel from time to time. Following this logic, I carefully cut a hole in the deck head and glued the kit stairs in place. Some sort of communication between the compass platform and the engine room would have been necessary so I now have to decide between a telegraph or voice pipes. Plenty of time for that though.

A set of 1/200 railings should be wending their way to Martian Towers which should make for an effective platform. I might have a root around to see if I can find some suitable benches to adorn the main deck with, although I don't want to get too carried away with the fine detail on the model. (I know, famous last words!)

Thanks for looking 

Martian 👽

Edit: I seem to have accidentally ordered some suitable 1/200 benches. What was it that I was saying about famous last words! :oops:

020.jpg

021.jpg

022.jpg

023.jpg

• Like 7

I like the way your mind is working    :rofl2:   I can't believe I just said that :banghead:

I was thinking on the lines of Sherlock. If only it was all elementary my Dear Martian

Keep up the good work

Kev

PS I do think it would be more appropriate on you next sabbatical to the Western Isles to scratch build a Scottish sailing fishing boat e.g. a Zulu or a Fifie. I do have the plans 😉

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, longshanks said:

I like the way your mind is working    :rofl2:   I can't believe I just said that :banghead:

I was thinking on the lines of Sherlock. If only it was all elementary my Dear Martian

Keep up the good work

Kev

PS I do think it would be more appropriate on you next sabbatical to the Western Isles to scratch build a Scottish sailing fishing boat e.g. a Zulu or a Fifie. I do have the plans 😉

You noticed that my mind is working: some feat!

Scratch building a sailing fishing boat; away foul temptress! I do however have another 1/144 scale puffer kit in the stash. :hmmm:A very famous puffer photograph was taken literally 50 Yards from where I type these words.

101-0045.jpg

Martian 👽

• Like 5

Very nice I like it. OK perhaps a puffer on your next visit.

A random thought . . . You like Heller. Heller do a 1/24 tractor thats the image of the above. 66 foot puffer @ 1/24 = 840mm /33" . :whistle:

Kev

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, longshanks said:

Very nice I like it. OK perhaps a puffer on your next visit.

A random thought . . . You like Heller. Heller do a 1/24 tractor thats the image of the above. 66 foot puffer @ 1/24 = 840mm /33" . :whistle:

Kev

I'll tell Mrs Martian that you suggested that, the results should prove entertainingly gruesome!

As to the tractor, I have the kit and by lucky hap, there is one parked just opposite the cottage. I have often thought about building a model of it.

Martian 👽

• Like 2