La Fauvette Steam Yacht

16 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

So this is where you're hiding. I won't tell the others. Anyway, they're busy re-arranging your rose garden & pruning the peonies.

Oh, and one of them was making a right mess of rewinding a starter motor armature. I told him knit one pearl three, but do they listen?

Comparing the kit to the paintings they even got the chimbley at the wrong end! Perhaps there were copyright problems.

I could have sworn a transom was a part of a Horse? And as for Bulwarks, I do not want to know!

The lack of liquid cement. Could you not boil down a Sheep or something?

Enjoy your relaxing break your Aliennnesss.

Delighted to hear that my SM.79 thread I in good hands, Melchett said that he would give it his best attention. :worry:

As to what Heller are doing, the best thing I can do is to provide a translation of what the instructions say and let you good people pick the bones out of that.

"Historically there have been many Fauvettes, some at the same time but in different ports. The Heller model is more a representation of a luxury yacht of the 19th century than an exact replica. The main inspiration is to be found in the Fauvette built at le Havre in 1869 by the yard of Nillus and son. A topsail schooner, with an iron hull, she sailed until 1893, fitted with a two cylinder compound engine, driving a propeller. Fauvette was the first really important French steam pleasure vessel. One may note the access to the upper deck by an interior staircase."

So you can see that Heller contradict themselves in their own instructions. Confusing isn't it?

12 hours ago, robgizlu said:

OOooh Nice.

Definitely something a bit different

Watching with interest

Rob

Thanks Rob, even though the instructions are confusing, it should be fun. I am currently sanding the living daylights out of the hull. I wonder if Heller mean that the hull was both iron frames and plating or, as was common at the time wooden planking on iron frames?

Martian 👽

• Like 2

Delighted to hear that my SM.79 thread I in good hands, Melchett said that he would give it his best attention. 

No good hiding in here Martian....you can't get away that easily! Nice little floater, look forward to all the lighting, seascape diorama and electric motor, etc, etc....should be done by the time you get back...

• Haha 4

On 3/28/2019 at 2:21 PM, longshanks said:

Got to love it when  'The devil comes home to roost'  :devil:

That will be candles then. Interesting mix naked flame and plastic :rofl2:

I thought you were supposed to be relaxing

Kev

Or may be some turf....:whistle:

There's plenty of it up there, is 'nt it ?? :cheers:

Good idea Dear Alien !!

I also have a steamer to do.... CSS Alabama to name her !!

and No, I'll not start her now !

I have 2 rocs to be finished for November !!

Sincerely.

CC

On 3/28/2019 at 2:40 PM, Martian Hale said:

Last I heard, the Devil was getting worried about a Martian invasion of Hell.

I was relaxing: right up to the minute I logged in to this thread!

Wibble 👽

Edit: There will be an update coming up but I have to go down to the island shop to get some more batteries for the camera first.

And some liquid cement !!

And a good blue Chimay or 2 indeed !

CC

On 3/28/2019 at 11:14 PM, Martian Hale said:

And here was I thinking that coming over to the maritime side for a couple of weeks would get me a bit of sanity. :doh:

Deluded of Mars 👽

Sanity... 

What is this ??? Another Martian imported idea ??

As my distinguished colleague has quoted it . Ain't no sanity clause @perdu

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

So this is where you're hiding. I won't tell the others. Anyway, they're busy re-arranging your rose garden & pruning the peonies.

Oh, and one of them was making a right mess of rewinding a starter motor armature. I told him knit one pearl three, but do they listen?

Comparing the kit to the paintings they even got the chimbley at the wrong end! Perhaps there were copyright problems.

I could have sworn a transom was a part of a Horse? And as for Bulwarks, I do not want to know!

The lack of liquid cement. Could you not boil down a Sheep or something?

Enjoy your relaxing break your Aliennnesss.

Hello Pete !

The rose garden has been selected by Teethy for his ... well... I better don't say more on here...

I don't know who has tried to do some special Frankenstrat with the Bass guitar...

I'm sure that our dear Alien can find some tar if he start to dig under the turf...

It's somewhat liquid...:cheers:

CC

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

And some liquid cement !!

And a good blue Chimay or 2 indeed !

CC

I don't think they have heard of Chimay, blue or otherwise on the island. Its Tennants or nothing here.

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Pete !

The rose garden has been selected by Teethy for his ... well... I better don't say more on here...

I don't know who has tried to do some special Frankenstrat with the Bass guitar...

I'm sure that our dear Alien can find some tar if he start to dig under the turf...

It's somewhat liquid...:cheers:

CC

I hate to say this CC but that five string Fender bass belongs to Mrs Martian. I wouldn't say she is possessive about it but the Mods would never allow me to describe what she did to the more tender parts of the anatomy of the last person who touched it uninvited. Suffice to say that it had something to do with a bread board, a pair of tweezers and  hacksaw.

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Today's efforts have been mostly directed at fairing in the bulwarks to the rest of the hull. I wish Heller had not done the bulwarks as separate parts as they are not the greatest fit ever and persist in trying to come unglued at the first sign of any vigorous sanding. The gap filling super goo has been working overtime. However, we have now got to the stage where I can start micromeshing the hull.

Martian 👽

• Like 2

Good job Dear Alien !!

No Chimay ?? Holy god, that's so sad !!

I think seem seem to ignore the fact that Heller was the training center for the guys who wanted to work on Fonderie miniature...:whistle:

I still have an Heller kit on the go... Since 1987...:whistle:

This is what's happening when you try to modify an already poor fitting kit...

I'm confident, you're going to do a gem from this nice little kit !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

Many a true word spoke in jest CC. This morning I was having a look at the roof of the superstructure and discovered that it overhangs the bulwarks by at lest 1.5mm each side. I thought that this might be down to my relative inexperience with ship models and that I had assembled the hull incorrectly but no; turning to the back of the box and looking at the pictures of the completed model, this is an issue with the kit. It causes the stanchions supporting the roof to bend inwards and seems to foul the ratlines as well. Clearly a lot of thinking looms in my immediate future. And I thought that this was going to be a relaxing holiday build; bugger!

I did however get the final bits of the bow in place. These at least did fit well, although some fettling was needed to get the bowsprit to sit right.

Dejected of Mars 👽

013.jpg

014.jpg

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

Clearly a lot of thinking looms in my immediate future. And I thought that this was going to be a relaxing holiday build; bugger!

Do you know I had the same problem when I took my 1/200th Missouri away with me to Cuba a few years ago, never mind the hassle of getting it, the compressor, airbrushes, paint box and tool set off the plane and through customs in one piece, the intense heat made the plastic go all runny....I thought, you know what, I'm never bringing a model on holiday with me again, (unless she's super-fit naturally). To top it all I realised I'd left the Memsahib in the departure lounge at Heathrow. Life...you couldn't write it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Cripes!  

Smarten yourselves up lads, the General has just been seen paying a visit to the maritime section! Don’t see him over here often  but when he’s here we have to impress or he might come back for a full inspection. 😱

• Haha 7

15 minutes ago, general melchett said:

Do you know I had the same problem when I took my 1/200th Missouri away with me to Cuba a few years ago, never mind the hassle of getting it, the compressor, airbrushes, paint box and tool set off the plane and through customs in one piece, the intense heat made the plastic go all runny....I thought, you know what, I'm never bringing a model on holiday with me again, (unless she's super-fit naturally). To top it all I realised I'd left the Memsahib in the departure lounge at Heathrow. Life...you couldn't write it!

I just sometimes take some little work to do on Hols...

Mainly some sanding or so....

Forget Memsa in Heathrow lounge 😓 ....

We must know the way you explained it to her ????

Should I try a tenth of it with SWMBO.... it will be a casus belli 'til one of us bought the farm...

I must say that she has a so restrained sense of humor !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Cripes!  

Smarten yourselves up lads, the General has just been seen paying a visit to the maritime section! Don’t see him over here often  but when he’s here we have to impress or he might come back for a full inspection. 😱

strut guys !! Strut

The finger on the pant's seam !!

The duke of Melchett is here with Darling !!

Take care... And forget my name !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 4

On 3/30/2019 at 2:08 AM, Martian Hale said:

Getting the bulwarks glued to the hull using tube cement was bit of a bind....

I would have thought that gluing your bulwarks to the hull with anything would be rather uncomfortable!

Ian

• Haha 9

Smarten yourselves up lads, the General has just been seen paying a visit to the maritime section! Don’t see him over here often  but when he’s here we have to impress or he might come back for a full inspection. 

Well just to befuddle you, Steve, I've gone and posted a floaty thing in the RFI section...and, I'll warn you now, will have a few more in the near future by George, sorry 'bout that...normal service will be resumed as soon as possible...honest...

strut guys !! Strut

The finger on the pant's seam !!

The duke of Melchett is here with Darling !!

Take care... And forget my name !!

Sincerely.

CC

I don't know what meds you're on CC but please pass some this way, they sound like fun...

I'm saying nuffink, right

Now, that man truly has his finger on the pulse...

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

5 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Sorry Guys, this lot just followed me here, except for @longshanks and @Bandsaw Steve who were here anyway.

Martian 👽

Ermm you forgot the Leprechaun I,am always here  :popcorn:

Apart from the Queens Park Rangers this is looking good so far for an Alien build  :whistle:

beefy

• Haha 5

11 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Ermm you forgot the Leprechaun I,am always here  :popcorn:

Apart from the Queens Park Rangers this is looking good so far for an Alien build  :whistle:

beefy

We had noticed! 

Thanks for the vote of confidence in the model. Less of the QPR reference though, I am a die hard Oxford United fan.

Come on you Yellows! 👽

• Haha 1

Less of the QPR reference though, I am a die hard Oxford United fan.

Come on you Yellows! 

Football...what the deuce is going on....ball's the wrong shape, pullovers for goalposts, any proper physical contact considered a foul and to top it all, Oxford!!...good lord tell me it isn't so

• Haha 4