La Fauvette Steam Yacht

7 hours ago, longshanks said:

Coming along nicely. . . 

I'm know expert but ....  3 of the 4 pics at the start show the anchor outside the bulwark. This to me indicates the requirement for a cathead(s)

Carry on good sir!

Kev

Thanks Kev, that chimes with my thinking but it is good to hear that from one who know about these things. Unless anyone can come up with a good argument why not, then cat heads it will be.

5 hours ago, Courageous said:

She's looking great Martian :yes:

rubbing strakes... belaying pins... cobbledodgers... cat heads, with these terms, you must be a proper ships captain of one of these:

B2sKQ.jpg

Stuart

Thanks Stuart but how many times have I told you not to put daft ideas into my head? There are almost as many there as in General Melchett's already. Correction; Mrs Martian has just said that there are more, which kind of proves my point.

Martian von Wibble 👽

• Haha 3

Following Longshanks' sage words of advice, I promptly proceeded to mess the cat heads up by putting them in the wrong place. :banghead: I had not taken account of the size of the anchor. Following a particularly fruity assortment of Martian expletives, I ripped them out of the model, opened up some new holes for them in the bulwarks and relocated them. I then let some plastic stock into the old holes and am now waiting for the filler to dry in order that I might expunge any traces of them.

Thanks for looking and more soon.

Plonker of Mars 👽

042.jpg

043.jpg

• Like 11

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

What a graceful looking vessel. Smashing work Martian.

Thank you dear heart.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

Note to self, "next time stay on holiday"! No sooner than I had set foot back in Poole than MVS stuff began landing on me in order to get ready for the start of the patrol season aka the silly season. However, I have managed to sneak a few hours in the Martian Cave over the last couple of days. I have spent a lot of the time in a seemingly fruitless attempt to find a way of making ever smaller types of blocks and tackle. It would be nice if there was something available along these lines in etch brass.

Wanting to achieve something more concrete, I decided to go to work on the lifeboats and davits. I decided that a raised structure to support the lifeboats would not be out of place. I have got the davits themselves drilled, detailed and fitted. There is meant to be a small tender hung from the stern of the vessel but, lacking anything to construct it from, I shall probably give this a miss. Currently, I am constructing the engine telegraph.

Thanks for looking

Martian 👽

044.jpg

045.jpg

046.jpg

• Like 13

24 minutes ago, longshanks said:

Looks the part :thumbsup:

Kev

Thanks Kev, I was a bit worried about this bit but if you ay its OK then I am happy.

Relieved of Mars 👽

• Like 1

Sounds like you're well busy with MV duties Martian but good to see progress on this rakish beauty.  

40 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

have spent a lot of the time in a seemingly fruitless attempt to find a way of making ever smaller types of blocks and tackle

Anything of use here?

https://www.syrenshipmodelcompany.com/boxwood-rigging-blocks.php

I did used to buy brass from Keith Jewell over on the Isle of Man - he did some exquisite ship's fittings but when I checked up just now to see if he had anything that might help you out it turns out he's had to give up the business. Pity. He was such a nice guy to do business with...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Sounds like you're well busy with MV duties Martian but good to see progress on this rakish beauty.  

Anything of use here?

https://www.syrenshipmodelcompany.com/boxwood-rigging-blocks.php

I did used to buy brass from Keith Jewell over on the Isle of Man - he did some exquisite ship's fittings but when I checked up just now to see if he had anything that might help you out it turns out he's had to give up the business. Pity. He was such a nice guy to do business with...

Thanks Tony, I have ordered some 2mm blocks, they may be a bit on the large side but should do nicely for the Heller Le Corsair kit that seems to have just docked at Martian Towers

Martian 👽

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Martian, I like your davits and boat stowage. It looks very seamanlike. Almost 'splooshy', one might say. (Yeah I know, different thread). Regards, Jeff.

Thanks Jeff, the splooshier the model is the happier I am.

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, beefy66 said:

All coming along very nice there. :popcorn:

beefy 

Much appreciated Beefy.

Martian 👽

Hello Dear Alien !!

So, here you are again… I was waiting for a Roc Indeed !

Look what I've found...

We already are managing the suburbs of Mars...:whistle:

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

On 4/21/2019 at 6:16 AM, Martian Hale said:

Thanks Tony, I have ordered some 2mm blocks, they may be a bit on the large side but should do nicely for the Heller Le Corsair kit that seems to have just docked at Martian Towers

Martian 👽

My favourite ETI will start an Heller Corsair ???

That's an idea, which one ?? U-7 or AU-1, Whatever they stand to be corrected ....

Boring but it can be done...

Should I dare to ask if this happen to be a -7.... Are you going to do the black and yellow stripes ??? :rofl2:

One more Corsair is always a good thing to me !! 

Congratulations !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

Only just caught up with this.  Don't normally go for floatie things with sails preferring the security of 20,000 shaft horsepower (but then the only ship left in commission in Her Majesty's finest in which I served has three masts and is in a dry dock in Portsmouth....)  I look forward to following your alien progress sir.

On ‎04‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 12:36, corsaircorp said:

Thomsen, 51, from Poole in Dorset, is married with two children and now runs a firm making hi-fi record turntables.

His book, Too Few Too Far, is published by Amberley.

I know that we used to recruit from a younger age but if he's 51 now, that would have made Mr Thomsen 14 in 1982!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Only just caught up with this.  Don't normally go for floatie things with sails preferring the security of 20,000 shaft horsepower (but then the only ship left in commission in Her Majesty's finest in which I served has three masts and is in a dry dock in Portsmouth....)  I look forward to following your alien progress sir.

I know that we used to recruit from a younger age but if he's 51 now, that would have made Mr Thomsen 14 in 1982!

Thanks Ralph. Having had to alter or replace just about every part of this kit, by rights I should be hating it. For some reason though I find myself having a ball and have even purchased another Heller sailing ship on the strength of it. No accounting for an ET's taste I guess.

59 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

My favourite ETI will start an Heller Corsair ???

That's an idea, which one ?? U-7 or AU-1, Whatever they stand to be corrected ....

Boring but it can be done...

Should I dare to ask if this happen to be a -7.... Are you going to do the black and yellow stripes ??? :rofl2:

One more Corsair is always a good thing to me !! 

Congratulations !!

Sincerely.

CC

No you evil child, this is a 18//19th Century sailing vessel. No stripes of any kind, excepting possibly those on the French flag will be making an appearance. 

Martian 👽

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

Thanks Ralph. Having had to alter or replace just about every part of this kit, by rights I should be hating it. For some reason though I find myself having a ball and have even purchased another Heller sailing ship on the strength of it. No accounting for an ET's taste I guess.

No you evil child, this is a 18//19th Century sailing vessel. No stripes of any kind, excepting possibly those on the French flag will be making an appearance. 

Martian 👽

Hoooopps !!

I tend to think that Corsair is a thing with bent wings... Sorry :cheers:

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

I copied and paste the text from the editor page, received from the RN page, Sorry, I did'nt look the time in which the article has been writed !! 🤔

No more like for today... Sorry !

Sincerely !

CC

• Like 1

On 20/04/2019 at 22:30, longshanks said:

Looks the part :thumbsup:

Kev

What he said

It really does

I know little to nowt about these ship-pey things but this is an entertaining retreat from real 'copters

🍻🍻🍻

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, perdu said:

What he said

It really does

I know little to nowt about these ship-pey things but this is an entertaining retreat from real 'copters

🍻🍻🍻

Thanks Bill, maybe that's why I am enjoying it so much.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Courageous said:

Looking very nice there Martian but I have a dopey question.

046.jpg&key=79f7bda016fbedae1a80e8f61f55

How do you get those boats in the water :shrug:?

Stuart

I still don't quite follow it myself, I just modelled what Longshanks posted.

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

Ah...I see, lots of strange words in that explanation. :yes:

Stuart

I didn't get a lot of them myself but if Kev is happy with what I have built, then that's good enough for me. He must have seen more davits in his career than you can shake a lifeboat at.

Martian 👽

• Like 2

Gidday Martian, Stuart, If I may? As I understand it you push the boat sternward then as it swings back forward like a pendulum aim the bow between the two davits. These will swing in towards each other as the boat passes through them on it's way outboard. Keep pushing the boat outboard until the stern passes between the davits. Like a pendulum it will want to come back in. As it does keep pushing the boat outboard of the two davits which will continue swinging and now be facing outboard instead of inboard, with the boat hanging outboard from them. Then simply lower away. That is how I basically understand the procedure. Of course, it could be done stern first also. If I have got it wrong and there are any Master Mariners out there who can correct me please do so. Regards to all, Jeff.

• Like 5