La Fauvette Steam Yacht

It is traditional for me to take a new project with me when I have my main holiday of the year and this year I decided that I would take the Heller 1/200 kit of the Fauvette 19th Century steam yacht. I am not sure how I came across this kit on a certain well known internet auction site but I was completely charmed by the kit and an example was duly ordered. As is my habit, I spent the time between ordering the kit and it's arrival, trying to research the subject with surprisingly little (read no) success. I found some paintings of a Fauvette yacht owned by a certain Eugene Perignon but there were some major differences between the kit's box art and the paintings. These included the type of rig, position of the funnel and the provision of a wheel house.

All became clear(ish) upon the arrival of the kit. The instructions said that the kit was merely based on a yacht owned by M. Perignon and was  intended to  be a representation of the type of steam yacht of the period. Accordingly, I have decided to use the few paintings of Fauvette II, a subsequent yacht owned by M. Perignon to build something a bit closer to the prototype. Three paintings which may or may not be accurate plus an alien who does not know what he is doing, what could possibly go wrong?

Anyway La Fauvette as per the kit looks like this:

001.jpg

005.jpg

We need to try get to something a bit more like this:

Numeriser84-png.jpg

untitled.png

1316537-Yacht-Fauvette-ao-Mr-Euga-ne-Pa-

I bought in some pars from Master and some rigging thread of differing thicknesses and here are the sprue shots:

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

I have no idea where the next couple of weeks will get me with this and I may well fall flat on my faces but lets see what happens.

Thank for looking

Martian 👽

• Like 16

Now that should look a real beauty when built up properly so who is doing it for you  :wicked:

I assume what looks like a picture frame next to the base plate is a jig for the ratlines that looks like a lot of fun good job you have plenty of tentacles to do the cross stitching/ knitting  :winkgrin:

Looking forward to this one nice subject very different  :popcorn:

beefy  

• Haha 4

Spooky! I was only looking at this kit at lunch time today. Thought that could be fun 😊

I ignore the small green Man above.

He's hung over and got a man cold.

Looking forward to seeing what you  do with this. Enjoy your break. Did you ever think your good lady is running about to get away from you 😉

Kev

• Haha 5

19 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

Now that should look a real beauty when built up properly so who is doing it for you  :wicked:

I assume what looks like a picture frame next to the base plate is a jig for the ratlines that looks like a lot of fun good job you have plenty of tentacles to do the cross stitching/ knitting  :winkgrin:

Looking forward to this one nice subject very different  :popcorn:

beefy  

Evil child! remember I have the memory of an Acturan mega-elephant! :elephant:

I haven't decided on how I will be doing the shrouds and ratlines yet but there are one or two methods bouncing round in my fevered brain. 🧠

13 minutes ago, longshanks said:

Spooky! I was only looking at this kit at lunch time today. Thought that could be fun 😊

I ignore the small green Man above.

He's hung over and got a man cold.

Looking forward to seeing what you  do with this. Enjoy your break. Did you ever think your good lady is running about to get away from you 😉

Kev

Grumpy bugger isn't he? 

You said all the right things, right up until you mentioned Mrs Martian running away from me. Mind you, I think that if she wanted to escape from me, she would have more brains than accompanying me to a small island. We shall however be taking your sound advice to enjoy the break. I'm sat here with some kits and a couple of barrels of ale so what could possibly go wrong?

Martian 👽

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

. I'm sat here with some kits and a couple of barrels of ale so what could possibly go wrong?ik

I forgot to pack the liquid cement, that's what could go wrong! :banghead:Its good old fashioned tube cement and super goo for the next couple of weeks. That should prove interesting.

13 minutes ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

This should be good!

I vote you put some lights in it! 😀

Had you said that last night, I would have certainly taken you up on that as I like the idea of a lit up interior. Trouble is, the hull and main deck are now irrevocably glued together and the glue has long since cured. I wish I had brought my box of lighting bits along now. Nil desperandum however, as I have a stack of lighting effects lined up for my Squadron Haunebu kit.

34 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Interesting, don't think I've seen a Martian ship build:popcorn:

Stuart

I did do Mikro Mir's Turtle a few years ago and their Resurgam but I only did a ready for inspection thread on each of them.

Martian 👽

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

I like the idea of a lit up interior. Trouble is, the hull and main deck are now irrevocably glued together and the glue has long since cured.

It’s not too late - just cut the hull in two at the waterline, carve a piece of wood to fit exactly into the half that’s above the waterline, then rout out a hollow center in the wood, drill some portholes in it, fit some lights in the wood, fit the wood into the upper half, cement the lower half back onto the top half and the job’s done.  

Pretty easy really- I’m voting for that! 🤪

I like this shouting bright ideas from the sidelines business. I think I might do quite a bit of it on this project. 💡 🤔 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

7 minutes ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

I like this shouting bright ideas from the sidelines business. I think I might do quite a bit of it on this project. 💡🤔 

And won't I just deserve it :chair: However, I'm nothing if not bloody minded and shall be trying to think of a way to add that lighting with what I have to hand on the island we are on.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

Got to love it when  'The devil comes home to roost'  :devil:

38 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

I'm nothing if not bloody minded and shall be trying to think of a way to add that lighting with what I have to hand on the island we are on.

That will be candles then. Interesting mix naked flame and plastic :rofl2:

I thought you were supposed to be relaxing

Kev

• Haha 7

20 minutes ago, longshanks said:

Got to love it when  'The devil comes home to roost'  :devil: 

I thought you were supposed to be relaxing.

Last I heard, the Devil was getting worried about a Martian invasion of Hell.

I was relaxing: right up to the minute I logged in to this thread!

Wibble 👽

Edit: There will be an update coming up but I have to go down to the island shop to get some more batteries for the camera first.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I had quite bash at this build last night and got the hull, main deck and stand glued together. The part of the stern that holds the rudder and propeller mounting is a very poor fit and took up quite a lot of filler and super goo to get a smooth transition between the parts. There is still much in the way of sanding and polishing to do before this part of the model passes inspection. The stern itself doe not fit on either the inside or out and the main deck part is too short by about 1.5mm. All this has been subjected to a generous layering of Miliput. I have turned my attention to the bulwarks and have filled in the ejector pun marks. These parts should be interesting to get into place with just tube glue. Sadly Mrs Martian did not bring any nail varnish remover on holiday or this could have deputised as liquid cement.

Anyhow, here are the pictures of where we have got to thus far.

Martian 👽

009.jpg

008.jpg

007.jpg

• Like 8

9 hours ago, JohnWS said:

Hmmm, a steam generator would be appropriate.  :)

And here was I thinking that coming over to the maritime side for a couple of weeks would get me a bit of sanity. :doh:

Deluded of Mars 👽

• Haha 9

23 minutes ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

You will find a bit of sanity around here!

But only a very, very small bit!:penguin:

And it’s well hidden... 🤪 

Yes we shipbuilders are normally a restrained quiet bunch 

But it is great to see a small bit of Karma  :coolio:

beefy 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

You will find a bit of sanity around here!

But only a very, very small bit!:penguin:

And it’s well hidden... 🤪 

Where should I start looking?

1 hour ago, beefy66 said:

But it is great to see a small bit of Karma  :coolio:

That's fair enough, a degree of Karma was expected. 

In other news, I may have come up with an idea to add lighting to the superstructure. It does rather depend on the thickness of the LEDs though so I won't know if it will work until I get back home. Even if it does not work, the mental exercise in trying to figure it all out has provided me with some ideas as to how to get around some of the potential issues with the Haunebu build when I start it.

I started to sand down the Miliput on the transom this morning and did make some progress. It is still a tad soft in places though and I think I would probably better advised to wait a few more hours before going too mad at it.

Martian 👽

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

I may have come up with an idea to add lighting to the superstructure. It does rather depend on the thickness of the LEDs

You can always going for a single light source and fibre optics, just sayin'.

Stuart

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Courageous said:

You can always going for a single light source and fibre optics, just sayin'.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart, that is what I was trying to convey. I am hoping that I can run enough fibres through holes drilled through the supports on the stand. I can at least drill the holes while I am here.

1 hour ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

If you are looking for sanity mate, you’re asking the wrong person! 😱

I'm pretty sure that we don't need to hold a vote on that, even a bunch of British MPs could agree! Well, with wind, tide, and a blurglecruncheon behind them they could.

Martian 👽

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I got some more done on the kit today. The Miliput finally dried enough for me to launch the final assault on the transom. This needs a bit of polishing but essentially this is under control. Getting the bulwarks glued to the hull using tube cement was bit of a bind but they are now in place and setting. There will be a bit of filling needed but sanding them down will have the benefit of reducing the overdone wood grain effect.

Thanks for looking

Martian 👽

010.jpg

011.jpg

• Like 14

6 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Like the look of the bow shape has the look of a racer to it 

all looking very ship shape so far. 👍🏻

beefy 

1 hour ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Martian, I have to agree with Beefy above, I think she has very graceful lines. Regards, Jeff.

Thanks Guys, it was the hull lines that pretty much sold this kit to me in the first place

Martian 👽

• Like 2

So this is where you're hiding. I won't tell the others. Anyway, they're busy re-arranging your rose garden & pruning the peonies.

Oh, and one of them was making a right mess of rewinding a starter motor armature. I told him knit one pearl three, but do they listen?

Comparing the kit to the paintings they even got the chimbley at the wrong end! Perhaps there were copyright problems.

22 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I started to sand down the Miliput on the transom

I could have sworn a transom was a part of a Horse? And as for Bulwarks, I do not want to know!

The lack of liquid cement. Could you not boil down a Sheep or something?

Enjoy your relaxing break your Aliennnesss.

• Haha 6