Help with Sparmax Arism Viz compressor

Marc Banger

Can anyone who owns/owned the Sparmax Arism Viz help me with a possible issue please?

I have this along with a Iwata Eclipse airbrush, I'm only able to maintain a maxium airflow rate of around 15 psi with and without the silver bullet attached, the compressor and be reading well over 50 psi on the gauge but as soon as the trigger is pulled on the airbrush, airflow and pressure gauge rapidly decrease to to around 12-15 psi, is this right or just a faulty compressor?

P.s I did check for air leaks using soapy water around the seals.

Somewhere between 15>20psi would be about correct for a compressor with a 16 L/Min air flow rating paired with an Eclipse. The compressor can only achieve 50psi in a static / closed scenario & as soon as air starts flowing the maximum operating pressure will drop to whatever the compressor is capable of sustaining in an open "dynamic" situation.

The Eclipse also has a healthy appetite for air, which won't help the situation.

Best way to explain - connect a syringe needle which restricts airflow & you would probably get around 45psi, but connect a drainpipe which doesn't restrict airflow & you may be lucky to see a couple of psi.

• Like 2

Sorry, I only just seen your reply, thanks for taking the time to explain that, was getting a bit worried as it seems so low.

I'm new to airbrushing and only recieved it Monday.  Is 15psi enough to be airbrushing scale models? I'm using Tamiya acrylic paints and hoping to use Testors dullcote 1160 in a bottle and spray that through another airbrush. I'm thinking of getting a Sparmax Max 4 to spray the dullcote with.

I thin the Tamiya acrylics to 1 part thinner 2 parts paint, following instructions I have read up, I checked the consistency and it's like milk.

I think I have it thinned right.......I hope lol, not getting any spider webbing or splatters, only time I had a splatter was when I pulled the trigger back before pushing down, other than that, thinking I'm getting the hang of it.