Bucket-list scratch build T92 HMC

Mig Eater

41 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Very nice to see this become a physical reality. Looking real good. 

Gotta agree with Dennis - great to see you’ve been able to start the printing! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• 3 weeks later...

I've been busy working on the 3D model, I want to completely finish it before I start 3D printing the rest of the parts. The upper hull & fighting compartment are nearly done, after that it's just the gun/mount, travel lock & the rear spade left to make. I'm hoping to have all the 3D modelling done by next weekend & maybe have the upper hull parts printed too.

BTW there are lots of small parts missing from this model, such as towing loops, tool clasps, cleaning rods, grab handles & the track fenders, which are to thin to be 3D printed so I'll scratch build them using wire & metal sheet etc.

t92_3d_10.png

t92_3d_11.png

• Like 3

Thanks for the tip, I might do that for the curved front part of the fender, the rest are just straight strips though so they can simply be measured & cut.   

• 2 weeks later...

Made some more progress with the 3D model last week, I had hoped to have it finished by now but I was feeling a bit rough over the weekend & didn't get anything done. Just the gun left to model now though, while I'm working on that I'll start printing the parts for the upper hull.

Note that the floor of the fighting compartment (& the steps on the spade) is just a "frame" in the 3D model, once printed I have some PE diamond mesh that will be placed on top of it to make the actual floor. The rear spade is raised & lowered using a multi-point pulley system connected to the drum on the right rear of the the fighting compartment. I'll be scratch building it using wire & string, which will hopefully make it fully workable once completed. The large travel lock for the barrel on the front of the hull will also be workable once put together too.

The model was starting to look a bit psychedelic with all the different coloured parts so I thought I'd made some monochromatic renders for a change this time.

t92_3d_12.png

t92_3d_13.png

• Like 1

My 3D printer has been running near constantly for the past week printing the parts for the upper hull & rear blade. Some of these parts took 12 hours each to print, a few of them failed & had to be printed several times too, so it has been slow progress. With just under 4 weeks left in the GB I'm doubtful I'll be finished in time, I might hopefully be able to finish construction before the end. I plan to persevere & continue with the build until it's completely finished though irrelevant of the GB :) 

t92_05.jpg

Here is a close up of the hull parts, it's really hard to see on the photos but there are lots of panel lines & bolts that will jump out after a wash & some dry brushing. BTW I originally planed to make the engine hatches separate workable parts, but the first attempt to print the engine deck without the hatches failed as it wasn't structurally strong enough.    

t92_06.jpg

The parts for the rear blade came out really well, I was stressing about how I was going to cut up the complex supports for printing, but I thought what the hell I'll try the whole thing in one go & it worked without any problems :)

t92_07.jpg

I put the lower hull parts together awhile ago, removing the striation marks required about a week of filling, sanding, priming & then more filling & sanding :P

t92_08.jpg

BTW I haven't attached the suspension parts yet for fear of damaging them while handling the model, I'll probably add them once the upper hull parts have been put together.

t92_09.jpg

• Like 4

Very Impressive so far. Like I have told others its all about the fun. If your aren't enjoying it then its not worth it. However even though there sounds like you have a lot to do. I think you can still finish this. I would say post it unpainted to show off the individual pieces ? So that everyone can see just how much work went into this. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

• 2 weeks later...

It's staring to take shape! The main parts of the upper hull are together now, it's just dry fitted to the lower hull here along with a few other parts. I need to paint the inside & add the clear view ports before glueing the upper & lower hull together. The edges of on a few of the parts weren't completely straight (because of the the way the printer works there is more stress/pressure on the edges of the part during printing) so some filling will be needed along the edges of the joints.

t92_10.jpg

t92_11.jpg

t92_12.jpg

The resin parts became a bit warped, curing up at the corners after awhile, espeshialy the large top engine deck so I printed a plastic frame to help hold it all together.

t92_13.jpg

Edited by Mig Eater
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately my health hasn't been the best so I haven't made any more progress since my last post. There is no way I'm going to be able to finish the build in time, but I hope to at least get the hull complete & maybe the wheels & tracks done too though.

• Sad 2

Sorry to hear of ailments. I fully understand the issue, and would rather you finish your work at a pace that suits the quality of the work. You can flag the post and ask Enzo matrix to move it when the build time expires on the 30th. Even with my Partial mod control as host. I haven't figured out how to or if I'm even able to move threads ? 

Dennis

Hi. Sorry to hear of your health issues. Hope you are feeling better now? I'm still looking forward to seeing the final result when you get chance to finish it. Take care.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks for your words of support, I definitely will finish this build it just might take awhile!

I have a chronic condition called Myalgic Encephalomyelitis, or more commonly know as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. The most relatable way I have found to describe the symptoms is that it feels like having a bad hangover but without the fun of the party the night before :P It varies in intensity depending on how much I exert myself, most of the time I can just fight through it & get on with life but lately its been worse & I haven't been able to do much.

I'm feeling a bit better today though so I'm going to head up to my lair & spend some time at the bench this evening, maybe get some primer down on some parts.

Edited by Mig Eater
  • Sad 2

On 6/17/2019 at 2:49 PM, Mig Eater said:

I have a chronic condition called Myalgic Encephalomyelitis, or more commonly know as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. The most relatable way I have found to describe the symptoms is that it feels like having a bad hangover but without the fun of the party the night before :P It varies in intensity depending on how much I exert myself, most of the time I can just fight through it & get on with life but lately its been worse & I haven't been able to do much.

Not a nice condition to live with. A friend lives with it and her advice when I had my latest breakdown was live with it, push back, but not too hard. I'm now on medication that gives similar effects. My project is on hold as it is far more than I can handle at present.

Keep well my Friend.

• Like 1

I've been feeling a lot better so I spent the weekend at the bench & added the clear parts to the front view ports (sorry no pics). Before that I first had to paint that area, which first required a priming coat, then the ivory interior colour & finally the olive drab exterior colour. After that I filled the view ports with Revell Contacta Clear, which is a a special glue that that dries completely clear & is mainly meant for use on aircraft canopies etc. But it's thick enough that it can easily be used to fill small holes such as the view ports.

Unfortunately just as I'm getting my energy back we have been hit with a heat wave here, with the temperature nearly hitting 40°. So my modelling room in the attic has become an unbearable oven. Hopefully later in the week it will cool down & I can finish putting the hull together & post the last pics for the GB.  

Edited by Mig Eater
  • Like 1

There is only one day left of the GB & my build is far from complete, I at least reached the mile stone of putting the hull together thought. As mentioned before the fit of the parts wasn't that great, especially on the two front plates which had some big gaps & so needed a lot of putty (still working on it). BTW The wheels & return-rollers are just dry fitted, they will be painted separately & added to the hull later. I left the lights & tools off for now too to avoid damaging them during the rest of construction. 

I will continue with this project (my shelf of doom is already filled up 😛) but I'll be now switching my main focus onto my build for the Tiger tank GB though. So I'm not sure when the next update will be, or even where? Shall I continue posting here, make a new thread in the work in progress armour section or maybe one of the moderators can move this topic there?

t92_14.JPG

t92_15.JPG

t92_16.JPG

t92_17.JPG

t92_18.JPG

t92_19.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mig Eater said:

I'm not sure when the next update will be, or even where? Shall I continue posting here, make a new thread in the work in progress armour section or maybe one of the moderators can move this topic there?

I would ask @Enzo Matrix to move it to the Armor section of the Forum. Im very happy you made a go of it, sorry it couldn't get done. However its something that deserves to be done slowly. Rushing it after all the effort invested to design it would feel like a let down. Again I was happy to see this attempted and once you get the thread moved i will continue to follow the progress. 

Dennis