Bucket-list scratch build T92 HMC

Mig Eater

My contribution to this GB will be a T92 Howitzer Motor Carriage in 1/35 scale. For those not familiar with this tank, it was an prototype 240mm howitzer based on the M26 Pershing chassis. 5 where built in 1945 & it was planed to use them during the invasion of Japan but the war ended before they could see service. Two of them still remain today, one of them is on on display at the Detroit Arsenal museum & the other is currently disassembled into a scrapheap at a storage facility.

769px-T92-1.jpg

796px-T92-2.jpg

800px-T92-3.jpg

So here is the "kit" I'll be using for my build... 😛
t92_00.jpg

It has been a dream of mine to build a T92 HMC but unfortunately there are no model kits of it available, except for a tiny 1/144 scale resin one. So I'm going to scratch build nearly the entire thing with plastic card & 3D printed parts, save for the tracks which I'll be using a Bronco set for. I've made a start with designing the 3D printed parts & have thus far done the lower hull, suspension & wheels.

t92_3d_02.png

t92_3d_04.png

t92_3d_03.png

It has taken me several weeks to get this far, so it might be awhile before I've finished all the 3D modelling. Because of this I'm having doubts about if I will be able to completely finish this build within the GB time limit. But I'll try my best & keep going till the end even if it takes a bit longer.

Edited by Mig Eater
  • Like 7

Very happy to see your thread, i very much enjoyed your Panzer IV build. I hope to get as much enjoyment from this one. I believe 3D printing is defitely here to stay in our hobby, so it should be shown along with everything else.

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

This looks like being a stunning build and a glimpse into the future. Will follow with great interest.

I've always hankered after doing the M103 based ARV in 48th scale would it be difficult to rescale the running gear for 1/48th???

The parts could be scaled up or down, but the T92 parts are based on the M26 chassis. The parts used on the M48/M103 & is variants such as the M51 ARV while looking similar were a different size & shape. I could design new parts specificity for an M51 for you but it might be quicker & cheaper to just kit bash a few M48s together.

Edited by Mig Eater
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Still find all your computer work done on these mind-blowingly 🤯 impressive.

Thanks, I've been doodling on my computer & making model tanks for nearly 20 years now. Here is a version of the T92 that I made about a decade ago for use in a computer game, which is when my desire to bring this design to life started.
T92_3d.gif

15 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I wasn't aware of a 1/48th scale M48 ?

Oh, I'd just presumed there was one, I guess the request for the parts makes more sense then.

• Like 3

Nice piece of programing for a game. There were 2 1/48 M60’s released in the 70’s or very early 80’s by someone. The name escapes me at the moment. However the conversation is still in the chat thread. Conclusion was that it wasn't worth the plastic it was molded from. The only other option is an M26 from Tamiya in 1/48. Though i believe those road wheels would be to small in diameter, if my memory is correct ? 

Dennis

On 3/30/2019 at 2:30 PM, Mig Eater said:

The parts could be scaled up or down, but the T92 parts are based on the M26 chassis. The parts used on the M48/M103 & is variants such as the M51 ARV while looking similar were a different size & shape. I could design new parts specificity for an M51 for you but it might be quicker & cheaper to just kit bash a few M48s together.

As yet there are no decent 1/48 M48 and later kits. The M51 has always stuck in my mind after seeing on on TV being driven out of a landing craft. I've just received some resin 3d printed wheels which are superb and much better definition than Shapeways best. Possibly to PM me about costs and such.

On 3/31/2019 at 1:22 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Nice piece of programing for a game. There were 2 1/48 M60’s released in the 70’s or very early 80’s by someone. The name escapes me at the moment. However the conversation is still in the chat thread. Conclusion was that it wasn't worth the plastic it was molded from. The only other option is an M26 from Tamiya in 1/48. Though i believe those road wheels would be to small in diameter, if my memory is correct ? 

Dennis

There are various boxings of motorized 1/48 tanks currently Academy I believe. They are all pretty poor. Some are easier than scratch building but not by much....

This is going to be a very instructive build I feel, I wonder if we'll look back on this as a glance into the future?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SleeperService said:

This is going to be a very instructive build I feel, I wonder if we'll look back on this as a glance into the future?

Yes ss, a shape of things to come I'm sure, just as the model department of  "industrial light and magic" fell by the wayside with cgi, progress eventually filters down to the masses, taking nothing away from your obvious skills @Mig Eater, you did an outstanding job in the panzer gb, as good as a proper kit, kudos to you, and a learning curve here for us Luddites   with another stunner,  stored knowledge ready for when we finally succumb and invest in a 3d printer I'm sure, 

Cheers

Glynn 

• Like 1

A youtuber I follow did a semi-joke April fools review of the T92 in World of tanks. It's full of statistics & references that mean nothing if you dont play the game, but you can see the T92 in action dropping 240mm shells on unexpecting victims 😛

Edited by Mig Eater

I've done the first test print of the wheels, overall they came out ok. I had some problems fitting the parts together so I'll need to adjust the size of some parts to eliminate the need for sanding. The base of the return roller bracket was also to thin & fragile, resulting in it breaking when handled, so that will need to be made thicker too.

t92_01.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Its has been a few weeks since my last post, I've spent most of that time working on the set of Bronco T80E1 tracks, which are made up of 1124 parts & are about the most tedious & mojo killing thing I've ever built :who-let-rip: I managed to keep my sanity though by doing some more work on the 3D model & continuing to refine the suspension parts. I've also finalized the design for the lower hull too & will start printing the parts for that later today. So hopefully I'll be able to show some photos of the physical model later in the week.  

t92_3d_08.jpg

Here are the individual parts laid out as they will be printed.

t92_3d_09.jpg

Edited by Mig Eater
  • Like 4

30 minutes ago, Silenoz said:

what a behemoth...  nice progress to in the designwork... Is the printing in such quality expensive?

The upfront cost of buying the printers is expensive but the cost for each individual print isn't that much. The cost in basic materials to prints this model will probably be around the same as an equivalent injection moulded kit. In contrast the cost of getting the parts printed by a company such as shapeways though would be extremely high, a project such as this would be hundreds of euros to print.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The 3d prints for the hull parts went well but there are a few areas that need a bit more adjustment (there can be a lot of trial & error required for 3D printing), I'll post some photos once I get the final print. I also printed all the parts for the suspension & have put them aside for when the rest of the hull parts are done.

Unfortunately I had a bit of a setback as a few parts of the 3D model have become corrupted (can happen on complex multi-part models) so I'll need to model them again. In other 3D news I've also started modelling the open fighting compartment, the armour around this part is only 0.5 inch/1.27cm thick though, which in 1/35 scale is 0.3mm. I'm concerned about the strength of plastic parts (printed or scratch built) that thin so I may have to enrage the rivet counters & increase the thickness or scratch build it out of soldered metal sheet. Either way I'll need to do some more trial & error to decide, which will inevitably add more time to this build.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mig Eater said:

I'm concerned about the strength of plastic parts (printed or scratch built) that thin so I may have to enrage the rivet counters & increase the thickness or scratch build it out of soldered metal sheet.

They do make some really thin plastic sheet,  but metal will probably look better. Not to mention strength, that thin and the plastic may get wavy pretty easy. 

I've finished printing all the parts for the lower hull & suspension now. The hull parts were made using a plastic FDM printer (the suspension is made with a resin SLA printer), because of the way they are printed the surface of the parts have striation/line marks (you can see it if you look close). So before I can start putting everything together I first need to give the parts a thick coat of Mr. surfacer & sand them down smooth, otherwise all those lines will stand out like a mountain range once painted.

t92_02.jpg

Dry fit of the hull using blue-tack & tape.

t92_03.jpg

t92_04.jpg

I still have a lot more 3D modelling to do; finishing the last few bits of the upper hull & starting on the fighting compartment. It's nice to finally have something physical to work on too though for when I need a break from the computer.

• Like 2