1/32 Beaufighter

I re-scribed the panel lines on the fuselage and wings of this kit 2 years ago, and it sat on the shelf ever since. I recently had surgery and had time off work, so I pulled this down and decided to do some more work on it during my recovery.  Turned out to be good therapy. 

I had intended to simply put seatbelts on the seats so as to busy up the rear and front cockpit. Looking again, I decided to build the details in both of these areas from scratch. I wasn't interested in accuracy and the scale is off in some places. I only wanted those areas to look busy when you looked in through the clear parts. I think I have achieved this OK. I also looked at plans and decided to scribe some of the access panels around the wings and fuselage. I haven't finished this yet, as you can see I need to add the fuselage gun shell ejector ports. I added aluminium tube for the guns and will add after market exhausts. I am not sure whether to make it into a MkVIc or leave it as the MkIF. I would like to do something in Australian markings, but would also be keen to do a what if in Australian markings.......decisions, decisions. Hope you enjoy. 

52f5ede6-0075-49a0-821e-d12b86dd7e67.jpg

c52aa2e5-5e02-4f8b-a3e4-607cc9f34ad5.JPG

fb698b32-2eda-418b-a475-826580f8d324.JPG

872e40d7-5380-4937-ada6-6cb615477cab.JPG

a91af60c-b03a-4f80-8510-6394db5d59db.JPG

047022eb-624e-4231-9901-8b8a107c5637.JPG

be56739e-8dda-48fb-a906-601a5f68f1be.JPG

85e48f66-cb4b-4fdc-8ec1-775f925e3cfc.JPG

• Like 16

And now you have done a great job on the cockpit Sods 28th law of modelling inevitably applies and a guy has done aftermarket sets in 3D printing for the cockpit. Now that usually happens to me. 

That a great start. I hope you are much recovered from the op 

• Like 1

hi ALL ,

I too have extracted a vintage 1/32 REVELL Kit from My Wardrobe  after (40 ) years in Storage

The Kit is the Gumman WILDCAT . I was rilly surprised at the quality of detail ,  I have added an RB Productions

Seat Belts ( managed to lose a fittin' the 1st 30 secs of openin' the packet  g.g.m.s. !

Also added the "LIVERIES UNLIMITED "  P&W Engine Logo Deeecal (AGAX-001 ) and built up the Undercarriage Bay with

Engine Support Struts , and Oil Tank scribed the Wings and 'bout to do the Fuselage

Made it difficult for myself when I do the Scribin' as I did'nt want to remove the raised detail, but I think I have worked

out a way ........ use those useless Etch Strut  Sets to place over the Scribed/unscribed raised Pane lines to sand down.

OR did the WILDCAT' HELLCAT etc. have Flush Rivetin' ?

b.t.w. : I was unwrappin'a new SWAN MORTON Scalpel Blade the other day and there is a L/Brown Paper Packin' piece with Foil backing 🤔

I thinks.......  SEATS BELT Material ! ......and yes they DO stay in place

cheery "modellin' " mumbas !

Geoff

F.T.G. 3156

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some update shots. I have tried to add missing details that the kit lacks.  I am still not too sure whether to just do the MkI, or the MkIc or do a hybrid to capture the feel of an Aussie Beau. ??? Here are some of my mods.

• Scribed and drilled out shell ejector chutes of fuselage canons. 
  • Masked Canopy with Montex masks.
  • Used acrylic Rod to make wingtip lights
  • Added scratch built gunsight to cockpit. Not really in scale..
  • Added strake ahead of the rear dome. 
  • Used superglue and accelerator for fuselage/wing joint and sanded smooth. I didn't get a very precise fit here. 
  • Drilled holes in the undercarriage and added lead wire for break lines. 
  • Added small intakes to the exhaust collector rings. 
  • Blanked off cowl intakes and will make some grills to fit over the front of them...eventually. 

Hope you enjoy the photos. 

IMG_1978.JPGcopy

IMG_1974.JPGcopyIMG_1975.JPGcopy

IMG_1976.JPGcopyIMG_1977.JPGcopyIMG_1981.JPGcopy

IMG_1983.JPGcopyIMG_1985.JPGcopyIMG_1990.JPGcopy

Edited by noelbarnes
couldn't view photos.
  • Like 6

• 1 month later...

After masking off the under surfaces I sprayed the top colours.  The dark earth was sprayed freehand rather than using blu tac sausages to get a soft demarcation line. I am happy with the results. The cowl rings were airbrushed with Humbrol copper, which was a real pain to get down, followed by a dusting of Humbrol matt black to knock the brightness back. Once the paint had cured the air frame was given a couple of coats of Future ready for decals. Noticing that the surface was slightly textured in areas I decided to sand it back with a 2000grit sanding sponge followed by a polish with Tamiya's Polishing Compound. Now she was nice and shiny. 

IMG_2173.JPGcopy IMG_2179.JPGcopy

This is where the fun began. I really didn't think I would have a problem with the decals..........one must never assume. I applied the under wing roundels but they broke up slightly and pieces came away. Rather than risk the other markings falling apart, I coated them all with Microscale Liquid Decal film. To my horror every decal fogged up before my eyes. The all turned pale with major streaking through all of them. What was going on????? I applied more liquid decal film in the hope of restoring them and managed to salvage them, but they were far from perfect. Once on the model some of them silvered, with others curled up around the edges. I ended up losing the top wing roundels.  Masks then needed to be made and new roundels sprayed. Phew, what a marathon. Decaling is one of my favourite parts of model building, but not on this occasion. After the major markings were done Aviaeology's beaufighter airframes stencils were applied to give some extra detail. They performed beautifully. The model now awaits a final wipe down to remove decal glue and sol - set solutions followed by another coat of Future to seal everything in ready for weathering. 

IMG_2393.JPGcopy IMG_2394.JPGcopy IMG_2392.JPGcopy IMG_2389.JPGcopy

• Like 4

Great detailing work and your rescribing looks wonderful. I  have one of these in the stash and look forward to tackling it one day soon. Would love to be able to rescribe as well as you.

Great work.

All the best

Chris

• Like 1