Old modeller trying again

Philbucknall

Hello!!

I’m Phil and after a break of about 8-10 years I decided to have a go at modelling again. Specifically modern fighter aircraft, well, I guess seeing as most of the jets I like are 50-60’s designs they’re not that modern!

i grew up in the 80’s building shonky airfix 1/72 spitfires and Bf109’s and running round the house playing with them. I moved onto actually painting them as I built them and in a proper way as I grew and then like many I drifted away from the hobby. Fast forward to needing spinal surgery and 3 months off work and I bought a 1/48 typhoon to keep me busy and loved it. I built a few before life once again took over. Now, at 42, I’m doing it again as a means of relaxation. I’m not aiming for show quality models but want to push my abilities and improve in both my build skills but also my painting so I’m going to have a stab at using an airbrush and acrylics - both new to me! I may even share the results on here if they’re not too bad!

• Like 4

Hello Phil... :post1: from Chicago. Im a few years older than you and im still considered a young whipper-snapper by a few here. 

8 hours ago, Philbucknall said:

Now, at 42, I’m doing it again as a means of relaxation.

Thats what its all about. I build WW2 & Coldwar aircraft for the most part. Some Armor & Sci-fi stuff occasionally. 

Dennis

• Like 1

Thanks guys! I spent a while lurking and looking at other people’s builds before joining. It seems like a friendly place at least and there’s no shortage of knowledge in here! I’ve learned a lot already! 

Maybe I feel old at 42 cause of my other hobbies! DH mountain biking and Airsoft. Both have taken their toll on my knackered ol, sorry, youngish body!!

Welcome Phil , old ? , I`m twice your age and just starting my second big Lanc .. If it wasn`t for our lovely hobby

I`d have climbed the walls long ago . Get stuck in , mate .

Don .

• Thanks 1

Welcome :)

They are a friendly bunch indeed and a lot seem to be coming back to the hobby after a few years, like myself

but I'm the other side of 50 to yourself and had a lay off of nearly 30 years, but anything you need to know there will be someone here who has the answer.

I'm still learning with the airbrush, but it's not that hard for basics, then I'm aiming to improve a bit each time. 

As long as you're enjoying what you are doing and are happy with the result that's all that matters.

If you do decide to show your work, don't be afraid as you will only get constructive comments and maybe a few tips to further your skills, which is what we all strive for.

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Phil - welcome.  If you start saying 42 is old many of us are in trouble.  Similar tastes - the Tornado was a new jet when I started making models.  Skip many years in the middle & a chance Canberra kit got me starting on 1/48 jets.  I have learned loads on here & found s9me very helpful people. Looking forward to seeing your work

• Like 1

42! When I turned 42, my youngest daughter was still under a year old. I've forgotten a lot of when I was 42, it was so long ago.

Welcome back into the flock. I await photos of your builds.

Chris

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcome guys! I feel at home already! I’m making progress on my tamiya F-15C and enjoying trying out some of the techniques I’ve seen on WIPS and finished models! This is my test bed model for want of a better expression and I know it will be pitiful compared to the work on here as I get used to using an airbrush. I’ve already upgraded from the cheapo one off amazon for a decent H&S ultra 2 in 1. I know that’s their basic model but it’s doing everything I need and not confusing the issue with oodles of adjustability. Maybe in time I’ll go up a level but for now I’m happy. 

I’m really enjoying the painting and even the building again and love how much quicker and easier it is to get a decent thin coat of paint down on uneven surfaces; something I always struggled with with brushes. 

Not sure if I’ll put photos of the eagle on here as I’d feel a little embarrassed compared to others work. Main thing is I’m absolutely loving building models again. It’s extremely cathartic and satisfying. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Philbucknall said:

Not sure if I’ll put photos of the eagle on here as I’d feel a little embarrassed compared to others work.

do a Work In Progress. 

Putting photos up is really good for learning,  it's an interesting way to inspect your work,  and if there are problems, you have a wide range of members who may well be able to help and offer solutions,  as well as some  encouragement along the way, even if it's just notifications of 'likes'

No need to be embarrassed,  you will get positive comments on what is working, and constructive comments on any problems or errors, about the worst offence a member here would make is to make derisive comments on someone's work,  it doesn't happen.  

At the risk of sounding gushy,  you will be pleasantly surprised at the interest and support you will receive,  it's a very helpful, freindly and supportive community here, you soon find out who are the regulars, a few have already posted above.

I'd also recommend finding a local club,  I know there are a few members here in the Stoke area,  @Simon Cornes is, and is a jet fan,  he maybe able to give you some suggestions, or have a google for local clubs.

cheers

T

• Like 1

@Troy Smith thanks for the encouragement. I will maybe do a WIP...gulp. 

The guys at emodels near me have been really helpful in helping me get the paints I wanted/needed and offering advice etc. They did tell me of a modelling club but the meeting day falls on a night I have my kids so it’s not always going to be practical to go. I shall have a look for other ones though. 

Hi Phil, and :post1: There are four clubs not a million miles from you, all are IPMS affiliated, BUT you don't have to be a member of IPMS to join, they are:- Stoke, Stafford, Staffordshire Moorlands and Wolverhampton. Most meet on a Thursday with the exception of Stoke who meet on a Wednesday. Contact details are on the IPMS (UK) web site.

HTH

Paul

• 1 month later...

Well, I’ve finished the F-15 now and seem to have acquired erm, seven...no sorry eight more kits to build! Mostly US or Soviet Jets but also an Apache and a P-51D cause it’s just a beautiful aircraft and I’ve been following the “lopes hope” build on here. It’s probably the only prop plane I’ll do. 

I also seem to have got a bit carried away on the equipment front but if a jobs worth doing and all that! 

Is there a way to add photos without using an image sharing site as I don’t use one since photobucket crapped all over its users! Thanks. 

I use google photos.  My photos sync to google anyway, so I put them in a folder & set public share on it.  The. If you open photos from a browser (probably chrome) you can right click and open the photos in a new tab, copy the url and paste it in to your post.  I used to use Imgur & that works too

3 hours ago, bar side said:

I use google photos.  My photos sync to google anyway, so I put them in a folder & set public share on it.  The. If you open photos from a browser (probably chrome) you can right click and open the photos in a new tab, copy the url and paste it in to your post.  I used to use Imgur & that works too

Just uploading all of my photos to google photos now!

https://village.photos/  is a free image hosting site and quite easy to use. I mostly use Flickr now and just keep Village.Photos as an in case. Like a few days ago when Flickr was down all day for updates, so I used V.P to post a couple of pictures.

Chris

I think I might have a problem!! Eight models piled up waiting for attention and erm; a little bit of modelling kit from a standing start! Gone is the cheap eBay airbrush and now I’ve got two H&S! An ultra 2 in 1, which i’m using with the 0.4 nozzle and larger paint cup for primer, larger final paint schemes and varnishing and a evolution Silverline plugged into a 3L tank compressor with the 0.2 nozzle and a crown tip I think it is to help me see what I’m actually doing and to make clean up even easier! I especially like the ability to adjust the max paint flow with the control knob at the rear. Having the tanked compressor is great too and I never realised how much of a benefit it would be from the lower noise when it’s working and just the tune ability of it. If this is me after but three months I dread to think what my dining room is going to look like in a few years. 

Modelling folder

Edited by Philbucknall
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Filler said:

Nice setup and that Eagle looks amazing. I think that you've nailed this modeling malarkey!

Thanks Filler! I think you’re being too kind on the eagle! There’s some very obvious areas to improve on for sure but thank you. 🙏🏻