Kitty Hawk 1/48 RF-101C VOODOO... complete build

Ah! One difference between the A and C models is the rear fuselage. The A model is cut back, exposing more of the burner can. If you are modelling a 'C', you are correct. An A needs the longer can. You need to check against photos to see whether KH moulded the fuselage for the A or the C.

• Like 1

@basket Every kit has inaccuracies if you dig deep enough. Give me a Tamiya and I will find things to improve. 

A good kit is one you have FUN to build. To me, the KH RF-101 is a very good kit. 😇

@bentwaters81tfw Thanks for your info. It came a little late 😜. I didn't know the A fuselage was shorter than the C.

It's a post-1967 C I'm building indeed. I came to my conclusion by merely looking at photographs.

Cheers,

Quang

• Like 2

1 hour ago, quangster said:

To me, the KH RF-101 is a very good kit. 😇

Absolutely right!

59 minutes ago, basket said:

That said , KH may have avoided some obvious errors  !

Thanks KH for the correct fuselage shape. An old FROG/Hasegawa kit and the modern from Valom is completely off with their sausage-shaped fuselages.

Great work, Quang! 👍

Cheers!:cat:

Edited by Nikolay Polyakov

15 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Ah! One difference between the A and C models is the rear fuselage. The A model is cut back, exposing more of the burner can. If you are modelling a 'C', you are correct. An A needs the longer can. You need to check against photos to see whether KH moulded the fuselage for the A or the C.

Hmmm, is that true?

Having spent a couple of hours squinting at not terribly hi-res profile photos of the Bentwaters Wing's finest - a mix of A's and C's - it became obvious that the rear fuselage was changed - the line of cooling slots between the turbine stripe and the jet nozzles were eliminated, for instance.

But looking at the proportions of the distance from the turbine stripe to the fin leading edge, there doesn't seem to be much appreciable difference. There does however seem to be difference in the J57 nozzle types. Even though J57 data available on the internet is very lo-res, a higher thrust version would be consistent with the heavier, stronger airframe of the C model which likely causes the visible difference between the two installations. The difference in the length of the actuator blisters would appear to confirm a difference.

If only the J57 was as well documented as the J79 it would be easier to be more definite.

• Like 1

My theory is that the longer you look at something –ANYTHING– the most likely you will find something intriguing and worthy of investigation.

The point is to know when to stop digging in order to keep the mojo going.

Too many projects have been shelved just because one kept digging so deep that there's no light left. Even at the end of the tunnel. 🤕

Cheers,

Quang

• Like 5

7 hours ago, quangster said:

My theory is that the longer you look at something –ANYTHING– the most likely you will find something intriguing and worthy of investigation.

The point is to know when to stop digging in order to keep the mojo going.

Too many projects have been shelved just because one kept digging so deep that there's no light left. Even at the end of the tunnel. 🤕

Cheers,

Quang

Very wise thoughts . :wink:

• Like 1

Looking good, Mister Quang! This is proving to be an interesting thread to follow. Everybody knew something was amiss with the original KH intakes, though it seems there's a lot of confusion as to exactly what. Up until recently i thought the exhaust cans were nothing to worry about.

I like the boilerplate-type boarding ladder and i like the bare metal treatment on the Grasshopper Butt (snicker snicker...)

Looking forward to more!

-d-

• Like 1

17 hours ago, David H said:

and i like the bare metal treatment on the Grasshopper Butt (snicker snicker...)

It’s also known as Alligator Skin in certain quarters although I reckon Grasshopper Butt is more appropriate.😆

Quang

• Like 1

I thought I'd put this up to show that I think Quang made the right call on the nozzles.

F-101A 54-1470 has the wide dark collar immediately aft of the fuselage (and also the cooling slots aft of the turbine stripe).

F-101C 56-0070 has a narrower dark collar and no cooling slots.

The fin leading edge, although a curve and hard to place exactly, seems to be in line with the bright metal ring at the end of the fuselage structure.

(click and again for hi-res max detail)

You would think that a different reheat chamber might give rise to a different model number or sat least a suffix, but apprently they're all Pratt & Whitney J57-P-13s on single seat Voodoos. Same seems to be the case with F-100Ds J57s retrofitted with F-102A style J57 afterburner nozzles

46961947354_6df319eaf7_o.jpg

Edited by Reparty
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

And notice the absence of the tail light on an -A version.

Cheers! 🙂

Oh, yes. I hadn't noticed. i need to check my build references!

• Like 1

I just checked and my subject didn't have one. So, its out with a sanding stick tomorrow ;). I have Seen that it had the longer afterburner cans, though. :). 

Martin

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

I have Seen that it had the longer afterburner cans, though. :). 

Not the longer afterburner cans, the longer fuselage aft that partially covers an afterburner.

Cheers! 🙂

• Like 1

Err.. In that case it is the shorter fuselage section and longer cans ;), like the C. I'm confused now about the various configs :(. My reading - I think - is that the Valom kit has the shoerter fuselage. Does anyone out there know? Thanks.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

Err.. In that case it is the shorter fuselage section and longer cans ;), like the C. I'm confused now about the various configs :(. My reading - I think - is that the Valom kit has the shoerter fuselage. Does anyone out there know? Thanks.

The burner cans are the same for an -A and -C, the difference is only the length of the fuselage aft around the burner cans root. The Valom kit is designed to represent the -C versions, as they moulded the visible part of the burner cans shorter.

Cheers! 😎

Edited by Nikolay Polyakov
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

The burner cans are the same for an -A and -C, the difference is only the length of the fuselage aft around the burner cans root. The Valom kit is designed to represent the -C versions, as they moulded the visible part of the burner cans shorter.

Cheers! 😎

THanks Nikolay. THe difference is small, though, isn't it? I checked the line up of the end of the cans against the speed brake housing and with the extension tubes I used on my build of a RF-C they match correctly. I'm still confused :(

• Like 1

The difference between the fuselage lengths is barely noticeable.  Much easier to pick up is the visible part of the burner cans. The longer version will fit in a rectangle while the shorter will fit in a square.

2 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Cheers! 😎

Great additional info , Nikolay although I wish I had all of it before I started the build. Ah well 🙃

Quang

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

It’s the first and easiest way to recognize the -A or -C Voodoos.

And the small intake near the top of the fin leading edge. The A model lacked this.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

THe difference is small, though, isn't it?

Only a few inches, I think...

1 hour ago, quangster said:

Great additional info , Nikolay although I wish I had all of it before I started the build.

I’ve never put attention on this detail, till now. 😬

1 hour ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

And the small intake near the top of the fin leading edge. The A model lacked this.

Sure thing, I forgot to mention it. Thanks, Frank! 🤝

Cheers! 😎