Kitty Hawk 1/48 RF-101C VOODOO... complete build

On 21 April 2019 at 4:58 AM, Finn said:

Quang here is a nice video of RF-101s in SEA, the Voodoo comes up when you click on it:

some shots show the belly mounted flash pod and wing ECM pod.

Jari

Not certain if this is the same one (post #13). 

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Keith T said:

What's with the white nose on the Phantom at 44:30 ?

Was this just temporary after a new radome, or a colour-scheme I've not seen before ?

Anyone have images of this aircraft in these colours ?

In the era depicted in the film, RF-4Cs deployed to SEA in the gull gray upper surfaces and white under surfaces scheme, and for that scheme the radomes were white with a black neoprene boot covering the front portion. The aircraft in question is flying with a radome in the 'old' scheme, most likely because that was the only serviceable one available at the time of the mission. Below is a photo of RF-4C 65-0826 passing through Soesterberg in August 1969 in a similar condition. It would have been swapped for a regular black one as soon as one became available.

40699205843_bd4e6fa63a_o.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Another interesting observation: the inner edge  of an inlet had a complex shape and it’s gravitate to be an angular and not so rounded, as provided by Kitty Hawk:

Also, the outer edge has the same interesting shape, when we’re looks from the aft:

1dff40e6-b1e2-431a-99f5-9e962e2e7b87.jpg

Cheers! 🙂

Indeed! Not exactly 100% but at least the intent is there 😉

86-E09-EDD-FF2-E-4-FAD-9-A17-F610-BEC0-F

• Like 2

Many thanks, Quang. I have learned a great deal, reading this thread. 

I will endeavour to surpass your work, because it is the highest compliment a student can pay a teacher. Although I fear I will fail in this payment.

Indeed, many modellers here have helped me. 

Thanks again.

👍👍👍👍👍

• Like 1

The intake ‘challenge’ applies on the single-seaters F-101 A/C and RF-101 A/C alike.

The correction parts are NOT in the F-101 A/C kit. 

You’ll find them only in the RF-101 and the F-101B two-seater (which doesn’t need them)🙃. Go figure!

Quang

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Another interesting observation: the inner edge  of an inlet had a complex shape and it’s gravitate to be an angular and not so rounded, as provided by Kitty Hawk:

McDonnell_RF-101C_60014_SCUL_19.05.62_ed

Was this photo taken at RAF Bentwaters?

Both my parents worked there 1961-ish onwards, as civilians.   Dad managed to wangle me visits to see the F101C's on the ground, at official airshows and let's say privately.

We lived in Kesgrave between Ipswich and RAF Bentwaters / Woodbridge.  I vividly remember seeing the rainbow tailed 81st TFW Voodoos flying roughly along the A12 towards the Air Stations.  Happy memories!

Just wondering,

Jonny

Jonny

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonny said:

Was this photo taken at RAF Bentwaters?

It was certainly based with the 81st TFW at Bentwaters, but I have that photo ca[ptioned as being at Sculthorpe in May 1962.

Those Voodoos were very popular on the early '60s airshow circuit and I can recall them also visiting Waddington, and Finningley on September Battle of Britain days.

Edited by Reparty
  • Thanks 1

Bentwaters in the 50s had a unique desolate look about it. That background does not fit in. Generally speaking, we can determine the exact spot on the base by looking at the horizon. For a start, the airfield is not level, and there are no hedges on the perimeter. It's either wire fencing or woodland. The Eastern end of the runway drops markedly into the undershoot, and the runway follows an almost imperceptible ridge. Unless you are ground level, it is not obvious. I don't have a photo that shows this effect. The SW boundary is coniferous forest, the SE is ancient oak woodland, due North is woodland and the tech site, and NE is slightly falling land, NW is flat open fields.

I have never been to Sculthorpe, so I cannot 'confirm or deny'.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Reparty said:

In the era depicted in the film, RF-4Cs deployed to SEA in the gull gray upper surfaces and white under surfaces scheme, and for that scheme the radomes were white with a black neoprene boot covering the front portion. The aircraft in question is flying with a radome in the 'old' scheme, most likely because that was the only serviceable one available at the time of the mission. Below is a photo of RF-4C 65-0826 passing through Soesterberg in August 1969 in a similar condition. It would have been swapped for a regular black one as soon as one became available.

40699205843_bd4e6fa63a_o.jpg

Thanks for the explanation and clearer image.  Tempted to build.............

8 hours ago, Reparty said:

I have that photo ca[ptioned as being at Sculthorpe in May 1962.

My memory of Sculthorpe is that it is rather undulating. That shot doesn't look like it to me.

Martin

36 minutes ago, Reparty said:

Never been there myself Martin, but it's what the own work contributor on wki states. in their description

My only visit inside the base was this:

@Reparty draw your own conclusion. Maybe in rhe sun it looks quite different? ;)

Martin

3 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

The ladder looks pretty ' industrial ' in the photo and you've captured the look well.

There was a time when every aircraft type had its own specially-designed boarding ladder which was part of its maintenance environment.

Now will the kit manufacturers follow suit and provide a boarding ladder with every aircraft model they produce?

Or am I asking too much? 🤐

Quang

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, quangster said:

There was a time when every aircraft type had its own specially-designed boarding ladder which was part of its maintenance environment.

Now will the kit manufacturers follow suit and provide a boarding ladder with every aircraft model they produce?

Or am I asking too much? 🤐

Quang

If memory serves, it was providing PE boarding ladders that got Tim Perry's PP Aeroparts up and running back in the very early days of aftermarket.

Having said that, PE would not give the satisfying industrial bulk your scratchbuilt one possesses, although I know drilling all those holes would have beeen tedious.

Edited by Reparty

2 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

My only visit inside the base was this:

Martin

Nice photos, despite the weather. Without wanting to veer wildly off topic, a long term plan of mine has been a 'spineless' silverplate 'Chief, the redundant hydraulic line small spine as in your Sculthorpe photos and a T-Stick II with the big fat spine. Finally got three suitable Monograms for the hardware, but the pre-camo decals are proving elusive. Moral: buy aftermarket when a kit is initially released. And try to anticipate your requirements 25 years in advance 😁