Kitty Hawk 1/48 RF-101C VOODOO... complete build

Hi chaps, 

So, let me get this straight in my mind. The early Voodoos had a small sized splitter plate, not extending below the lower line of the intake? Also, on some early Voodoos the length of the intake from lip to wing intersection was shorter? Really? Looking at 32423 that is posted above that wasn't the case and on other images I still only find the longer intake. Was this a retrofit?

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

The early Voodoos had a small sized splitter plate, not extending below the lower line of the intake?

Yes, the splitter plate was just a bit extended below an intake lips.

Also, on some early Voodoos the length of the intake from lip to wing intersection was shorter? Really?

Looks like there was some revisions during an ongoing research.

Looking at 32423 that is posted above that wasn't the case and on other images I still only find the longer intake. Was this a retrofit?

It’s an F-101A, and an intake looks extended. But the splitter plate remains short... I’ try to find an additional information in the book.

Also, here you can find some information that I take from the book:

Anyway, it’s a sort of Voodoo Magic.

Cheers! 🤝

Thanks Nikolsy. I have just about every Voodoo book, including the Ron Easley tome, so I will look again. Anyway, my concern is my current build (53-2438) but having checked it had standard length intakes and the splitter slightly below the intake as you say. :). Phew ......

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

I have just about every Voodoo book, including the Ron zeasley tome, so I will look again. Anyway, my concern is my current build (53-2438) but having checked it had start length intakes and the splitter slightly below the intake as you say. :).

Take a look at the page 96 of the Easley’s book... 53-2430 already has a Type IIb extended inlet with a typical for all the F-101Cs large splitter plate. On a page 89 you’ll see an YRF-101A 54-149 with a Type IIa inlet ducts (looks very similar) and modified wing roots... So, it’s not a kind of a retrofit, it’s more like a coexistence.

Guys, looks like we need to find and post some pictures with all these differences in one place...

Cheers! 🙂

Edited by Nikolay Polyakov

1 minute ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Guys, looks like we need to find and post some pictures with all these differences in one place.

Always the best idea :)

• Like 1

Looks like the Easley book is a must for the Voodoo enthusiast. Unfortunately I don’t have it (yet) 😬

In the mean time, you can always check which block your 101 belongs to:

Scan30062.jpg

HTH

Quang

Edited by quangster
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Q. Ys, it is. Mine is a Block 15. I have checked the images I am using as reference and it had the 2b intakes (longer and with longer plates).

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

Glad you find it of some use, M.

As a matter of there were just a few 101s with the short intakes. But suffice that a single photo appears on the internet for the confusion to set in. 😜

Quang

• Like 1

4 hours ago, quangster said:

Looks like the Easley book is a must for the Voodoo enthusiast.

Sure thing, it’s very interesting and informative. More than informative.

Unfortunately I don’t have it (yet) 😬

Bought it and you’l never be disappointed!

Thank you for the sheet, Quang!

4 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

I have checked the images I am using as reference and it had the 2b intakes (longer and with longer plates).

These inlets that we’re often seen on the photos.

As a matter of there were just a few 101s with the short intakes.

And most likely that’s the development planes.

Cheers! 😎

25 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

My god, I thought F-86 wings was a minefield but this makes my brain hurt, I’ll still probably get one though.

I saw a thread where the F-86 wings was demystified, but the Voodoo intakes aren’t yet! 😹

Cheers! 🙃

• Like 1

The F-86 wing intricacies are nothing compared with the 101 mysteries. 

I just finished building these nav lights only to discover that they’re rarely seen on photographs.

9-CC89-B16-FD4-B-4-A5-D-89-A1-A525-E09-B.

What do you guys think?

Quang

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, quangster said:

What do you guys think?

It’s a very detailed research, Quang. It’s something new to me. I’ll need to check the Book.

12 minutes ago, quangster said:

But you’d find THIS helpful

Thank you!

Cheers! 😺

Quang here is a nice video of RF-101s in SEA, the Voodoo comes up when you click on it:

some shots show the belly mounted flash pod and wing ECM pod.

Jari

Edited by Finn
  • Thanks 1

Oh yeah, I can see the ALQ-71 and the belly pod @19:35.

Note how the 101s in this video carried their nickname on the right side of the fuselage instead of the left like we, modellers are led to believe 😉

Thanks, Jari for the input.

Quang

• Like 1

What's with the white nose on the Phantom at 44:30 ?

Was this just temporary after a new radome, or a colour-scheme I've not seen before ?

Anyone have images of this aircraft in these colours ?

Superb footage. Shame there is no soundtrack! A Voodoo at full chat is something to behold. All this extra info is fascinating. Sometimes trying to get information about the Voodoos over here is very hard, their role being Nuclear strike made USAFE very cagey. We have a museum talk lined up soon with a guy who worked on them over here. I shall be taking notes!

• Like 1

On 20/04/2019 at 07:06, RidgeRunner said:

Hi chaps, 

So, let me get this straight in my mind. The early Voodoos had a small sized splitter plate, not extending below the lower line of the intake? Also, on some early Voodoos the length of the intake from lip to wing intersection was shorter? Really? Looking at 32423 that is posted above that wasn't the case and on other images I still only find the longer intake. Was this a retrofit?

Martin

See post #89.

• Like 1

Another interesting observation: the inner edge  of an inlet had a complex shape and it’s gravitate to be an angular and not so rounded, as provided by Kitty Hawk:

McDonnell_RF-101C_60014_SCUL_19.05.62_ed

Also, the outer edge has the same interesting shape, when we’re looks from the aft:

1dff40e6-b1e2-431a-99f5-9e962e2e7b87.jpg

Cheers! 🙂

• Like 1

Quang here is another video of the RF-101 in Vietnam:

https://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675038914_Phantom-II-aircraft_cockpit_F-4_Air-Force-personnel_entry-ladder

check the 1:20 mark and you can see a group that seem to be discussing some antennas on the bottom of the fuselage.

Jari

Edited by Finn
  • Thanks 1