Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

quangster

Kitty Hawk 1/48 RF-101C VOODOO... complete build

Recommended Posts

I know, guys. 

I'm just playing....! 

 

I love how much knowledge and information gets shared on this site. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back to the works.
Today we're dealing with the only serious issue of this kit, one which made quite a few modellers shy away:

THE AIR INTAKES


Indeed, KH in their willingness of putting too many eggs in one basket, has provided us the intakes of the dual-seat F-101B.

But as everybody knows now, the intakes on the two variants are different. This photo from Gary Wickham's superb review of the KH Voodoo says it all.
B8-A75-C6-B-A1-CF-4279-B99-B-BB541600-A8

 

The intakes on the single-seaters are straight – nearly vertical whereas the ones on the F-101B are slanted.
The boundary layer trap – the small plate between the intake and the fuselage – is also different on the two variants.

 

What's unnerving is that KH knew they goofed and tried to make up by providing extra parts to correct the intakes but without noticing them in their instructions or showing how to use them.
Intake-parts.jpg

 

So be it. We're left to proceed by trial and error.
First thing is to identify the 4 parts: Right/Left, Upper/Lower. Note that the lower intake lips are flared.
The parts are glued to the existing intake lips.

RIGHT:
45212-B53-9634-4103-A50-D-4674143870-F8.

 

LEFT:
20-D20-A9-B-8-E7-C-45-C7-9-BB4-9390-BAC5

 

Inside LEFT INTAKE. Note lower lip.
Flared-lip.jpg

 

RIGHT INTAKE
55-D0511-C-152-B-44-CE-9944-D4513-D1-B69

 

With the intake ramp
4-C876-E8-B-31-F8-4810-88-EC-20006-F1-DE

CBB4-AAE2-FD92-42-BD-B950-4-A230-E569650

9-D5-E123-E-3-CEA-4-ED5-8-FFB-C2-D17-F00

 

Time to dry-fit. Ouch! We'll have to remove the excess
Remove-lip.jpg

 

Denote the area to be removed with tape
CC38-F358-082-D-430-F-816-B-9-E33-C677-D

 

Saw cut:
B2-E87-B8-D-C7-A5-4-BEA-A5-B7-B7-C7530-B

 

The works:
A365-CB6-A-3329-4028-91-EC-1-F563-F0-CD7

 

Let's call it a day.

Until next time,

 

Cheers
Quang

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having studied the pictures would it not have been better to remove the excess material from the kit wing, there is a panel line that appears to match what you have cut off the extension in width, plus it would give you a better gluing area as the cross section of the intake is tapered. I don't know how to post pictures or I would have done to show my thoughts.

Although KW provided the extra bits they appear to be too long and as no mention of these pieces appear in the instructions it is difficult to say how they should be fitted. note that they do not appear on the sprue pictures in the instructions.

 

Mick

Edited by Mick_Gannon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Kev The Modeller @Biggles87 Thank you guys for your kind words!

 

@Mick_Gannon  Like I said, as there are no instructions for the extra parts, I have to proceed by trial and error.

And as I’m notoriously known to do things the hard way, I’d not be surprised that there is an easier and proper way to do it, be it your solution or others that some modeller friends have kindly suggested.

I’d say, let me finish what I have in mind. Unless I fail miserably, we’ll draw conclusions at to which method is the best to fix this problem.

 

Thank you all for your support.🙏

Cheers,

Quang

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/04/2019 at 01:15, quangster said:

First thing is to identify the 4 parts: Right/Left, Upper/Lower. Note that the lower intake lips are flared.
The parts are glued to the existing intake lips.

Thanks for showing us that way to fix an intake lips, Quang!

 

15 hours ago, quangster said:

I’d not be surprised that there is an easier and proper way to do it, be it your solution or others that some modeller friends have kindly suggested.

Now it looks not so fiddly, as I expected. When I’ll start to build mine, I’ll definitely use these parts to extend an intake. Looking forward for the final work. 👍

 

Cheers! 😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Now it looks not so fiddly, as I expected. When I’ll start to build mine, I’ll definitely use these parts to extend an intake. Looking forward for the final work. 👍

 

Cheers! 😎

Unfortunately it's not finished yet, Nikolay! There's more to come 🤕

Q

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On with the trip!

 

It would be easier to work on the intakes– especially on the internal seams without having the wings in the way. 

Sooo..., the newly-modified intakes are separated from the wings with a saw cut. 😩
Intake-cut1.jpg

 

More than any other plane, the 101 is full of optical illusions – Voodoo magic?– especially around the intake area. Drawings are useless and walkaround photos –while useful for the details– are worthless because of the distortion they often display. What remains are the period photos of the aircraft 'in action'.

A very good source is this site where US modeller Fotios Rouch went out to see a preserved RF-101C in the flesh and made measurements:
https://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/f-101/f-101_tale.shtml

 

Once the intakes are finished , the stock splltter plates must be replaced by slightly larger ones
Stock plates:
A3-B38786-6-BE2-42-EB-97-A8-B0177395-A96

 

Cut off at the hinge
94-E056-BB-E043-41-F1-92-AD-615-A3-C3-A0

 

New plates from plasticard.
8-EF8-B452-69-AE-4-D9-A-8-F3-A-16-B68221

 

Rear view
AA50-D379-84-CE-4808-BA85-A5092-EFFAE1-F

 

The stock inner plates are removed because they are too short and too close to the fuselage
Spiller-remove.jpg

 

New plasticard plates. Note the new shape adapted to the intake opening.
4-B78158-B-B0-A4-4-D31-AE7-F-923-E0-F490

 

7-FED695-F-1-BA3-4582-947-F-22-B630-CAC1

 

E8-CA35-F0-686-E-4019-9-B2-A-4-EE512-B67

 

280-E84-C4-82-EE-44-F6-8-E7-B-CDEA80592-

 

0-AABCCBF-E467-4891-9-CF3-ADC7-D020-B946

 

This is where we can stop holding our breath. The new intakes are glued back to the wings.
280-E84-C4-82-EE-44-F6-8-E7-B-CDEA80592-

 

886-BE243-87-B7-4149-88-B5-D8-EFF67-FE21

 

Cleaned up. New panel inscribed
DDA9945-A-64-C3-45-D1-B944-55081-EE2730-

 

Note the slight overhang
Overhang.jpg

 

Viewed from above, there's a slight sweep to the intake lips
sweep.jpg

 

Front view
E0-C41-BBD-C600-46-D2-9275-5458-DE286314

 

Spreaders are made from plastic strips
spreaders.jpg

 

That's it folks. It's all downhill from now.

Hopefully?

 

Cheers,
Quang

Edited by quangster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, quangster said:

That's it folks. It's all downhill from now.

Hopefully?

Looks great, Quang! But very complex 👍 I decided to keep mine in the stash for some time... Can you show us the top view, please?

 

And great work on the spreaders, too.

 

Cheers! 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/04/2019 at 13:47, Mick_Gannon said:

Having studied the pictures would it not have been better to remove the excess material from the kit wing, there is a panel line that appears to match what you have cut off the extension in width, plus it would give you a better gluing area as the cross section of the intake is tapered. I don't know how to post pictures or I would have done to show my thoughts.

Although KW provided the extra bits they appear to be too long and as no mention of these pieces appear in the instructions it is difficult to say how they should be fitted. note that they do not appear on the sprue pictures in the instructions.

 

Mick

That depends on which a/c you wish to model. From Block 10 onwards, the intake was extended forwards by 11 inches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Now, about those rivets....................?

Oh, what a picture! 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

That depends on which a/c you wish to model. From Block 50 onwards, the intake was extended forwards by 11 inches.

My statement was that there appeared to be a better area to remove the excess length that went beyound the splitter palte join to intake and that the cross section would, when rejoined would be a better match, I know nothing of what went on during manufacter of the real aircraft, from what KH have made they did not either.

As the originator of this thread has reworked the intakes to what is thought to be the correct shape, I am surprised that you did not offer this information at the begining? or provide some sort of drawing, side view etc to advise that there were different intake shapes/sizes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mick_Gannon said:

As the originator of this thread has reworked the intakes to what is thought to be the correct shape, I am surprised that you did not offer this information at the begining? or provide some sort of drawing, side view etc to advise that there were different intake shapes/sizes.

I built an F-101 A/C some months ago, and doesn’t knew about it, till I get some information from the Ronald Easley’s book some weeks ago:

 - start reading from the post #32 - I think you’ll find it interesting.

 

Cheers! 🙃

Edited by Nikolay Polyakov

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Mick_Gannon There was indeed a discussion about the intake length in the RF-101 tanks thread. 

 

By discarding drawings and studying only period photographs, I came to the conclusion that the distance between the intake lips and the wing root should be 22-23 mm @1/48 scale.

As I was still in doubt of my own conclusion, I decided to cut off the intakes so I could adjust them at will and make them look 'right' to my eyes.

To make sure I taped the national insignia in position and used it a reference for the intake length.

 

I discovered at my dismay that it was 2mm short.

gap.jpg

 

I filled the gap and got my intake looking right.

I check its final length and …know what? It's 22mm long. My old eyeball MK1still has some life in it after all!.

EA4-D6498-8939-421-C-A23-E-36-D49-E74-F1

 

I didn't want to include this episode in the WIP as not to add confusion to an already complex build.

 

Now looking back, I find your solution of removing the excess on the wings BEFORE adding the extensions much tidier and easier to do than mine. Other modellers like Tony T. offered the same method but I was too far gone on my trip to reconsider.

 

Thank you for your input,

Cheers,

Quang

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So having looked at the other thread about fuel tanks, it appears that there are indeed 2 lengths of intake lips and that between the A/C and B model the shape changed due to the engines. So correct me If I am wrong, if you decide to model a very early aircraft you would have to shorten the intakes, if doing a later block number aircraft you would have to lengthen the intakes for A/C aircraft, the splitter plates change as they are for a B model reduced in length from the standard kit or replace them. In the tank thread it says that the intakes were lengthened by 11 inches which in 1/48 scale is 5.82mm.

 

Now before I plow into a £35.00 kit and start cutting up the intakes to correct them, I would like little bit more information as to what is the right length of inlet to wing root and the size of the splitter plate for an early and late A/C, is that possible? I am not asking as to how to modify the parts I have sorted a method that will work for me. It has also been stated that the A/C inlet angle to fueslage is 90 degree's to the centre line of the aircraft, but there are some photos that show there is a slight taper rearward on the top of the inlet and that it increase around the out edge of the inlet which makes the bottom taper greater than the top, am I missing this or just adding to the confusion.

 

Mick

 

Edited by Mick_Gannon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All depends on the aircraft you are modelling. My personal interest is in the single seat fighter versions, the A models tend to have the shorter intakes. The bulk of the recce birds followed on construction after the fighters stopped, so chances are they will be longer intakes. Once you have decided on the bird you wish to model, look up it's Bu number and it will tell you which production batch it belongs to. -10 and above have the longer intakes. Ignore the B and F series as the two holer kit is correct as far as the intake shapes go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mick_Gannon said:

So correct me If I am wrong, if you decide to model a very early aircraft you would have to shorten the intakes, if doing a later block number aircraft you would have to lengthen the intakes for A/C aircraft, the splitter plates change as they are for a B model reduced in length from the standard kit or replace them.

For an F-101A is enough just to cut an intakes to make a 90 degree angle to the fuselage and shortening the splitter plate. For the «C» model with an extended intakes, I’ll recommend to taking the Quang’s approach (or just use a provided additional parts). The «A/C» and the «B» kits have a different splitter plates, even if they are the same length.

 

Notice how short the splitter plates on an F-101A:

060728-F-1234S-068.JPG

 

Cheers! 😎

Edited by Nikolay Polyakov

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mick_Gannon said:

 

Now before I plow into a £35.00 kit and start cutting up the intakes to correct them, I would like little bit more information as to what is the right length of inlet to wing root and the size of the splitter plate for an early and late A/C, is that possible? I am not asking as to how to modify the parts I have sorted a method that will work for me. It has also been stated that the A/C inlet angle to fueslage is 90 degree's to the centre line of the aircraft, but there are some photos that show there is a slight taper rearward on the top of the inlet and that it increase around the out edge of the inlet which makes the bottom taper greater than the top, am I missing this or just adding to the confusion.

Hi Mick,

The right length from inlet lips to the wing root? Nobody knows for sure. Add to that that on some a/c there's an add-on sleeve which covers the wing root.

 

Long intake

RF-101-C-FP.jpg

 

Short intake

Intake-short.jpg

 

As for the inlet and intake ramp, you will find the measurements HERE thanks to US modeller Fotios Rouch.

 

 

The Voodoo is full of deceptions and delusions, a shape-shifting kind of a beast.  Most obvious is the dihedral of the tailplane. Sometimes you see it, sometimes you don't. As for the intakes, even on my model, sometimes I see a taper or a sweep, sometimes I don't.

 

That would explain why a simple 3-view drawing is useless –and can even be misleading– with such a collection of complex shapes.

 

Hope it helps,

Quang

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the detailed reply, so I can clearly see that C intakes are longer, A intakes are shorter, Bentwaters 81tfw made the statement that the length of lip to wing root should be 17mm but add 5.82mm(11 inches) to that you get 22.82 mm you  got 22mm after adding 2mm to the length of the intake, so IMHO this is a good starting point as to where to add material.

 

On a different note how do you add pictures to a post?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mick_Gannon said:

Thanks for the detailed reply, so I can clearly see that C intakes are longer, A intakes are shorter, Bentwaters 81tfw made the statement that the length of lip to wing root should be 17mm but add 5.82mm(11 inches) to that you get 22.82 mm you  got 22mm after adding 2mm to the length of the intake, so IMHO this is a good starting point as to where to add material.

 

 Personally, I feel it would be better 1mm longer (23mm). Anyhow I feel vindicated. Thanks Mick.

 

7 hours ago, Mick_Gannon said:

 

On a different note how do you add pictures to a post?

First, you have to choose an image hosting site: imgr, flicker, imgbb, ....

Upload your photo to the site

You will be provided with a link to your photo under several formats (embed codes): direct link, HTML, BBCode, ...

Choose BBCode. The link should begin with  and end with [img/]

Copy the link and paste it to your post.

 

HTH

Cheers,

Quang

Edited by quangster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...