Kitty Hawk 1/48 RF-101C VOODOO... complete build

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 3:51 PM, quangster said:

Aaah, thinning trailing edges was the food staple to us old-timers. A long-forgotten art.

Thank you all gents for your kind words.

Quang

Ah, yes- those were the days! Half  tube of cement and a tube of filler per model! 😜

Mike

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Ah, yes- those were the days! Half  tube of cement and a tube of filler per model! 😜

Mike

Oh yeah, we were fearless with our toolbox, no aftermarket to rely on! 💪

2 hours ago, Graham T said:

Youre doing a grand job of this kit.  I built it recently & found it a royal PITA!  By the way it seems the lack of a locating tab on the tail plane is widely reported!  I experienced it too!

The purpose of this WIP is to demonstrate that with a modicum of forethought, the ride can be enjoyable even if it's bumpy at times. 🤕

How did you manage to fix the tailplane issue?

• Like 1

@whiskey It's indeed easier once we visualise how to do it. Thank you for your kind words.

Back to the works.

The kit exhausts are realistic and as such are rather complex. The body is composed of eight parts just like the originals.
VISIBLE.jpg

The fit between the eight parts is good even if there's a noticeable gap between the first and the last panel. One can always turn the finished exhaust so that the gap faces the keel away from the viewer.

The photo-etched part is pre-formed around a cylinder-shaped tool such as a brush handle. 
E6016989-9-D11-494-B-B869-1-B5-D1795-F85

F821-EED6-0-A00-4-A47-BFF2-008000391069.

The central fuselage is assembled with the rear engines and the intake structure.
For ease of assembly, the UPPER central fuselage is first joined to the tail assembly, making sure that the joint is perfect.
Joint.jpg

After that, the lower part can be glued to complete the assembly. The resulting side joint will be hidden by the wings and therefore invisible to the viewer's eye.

Next to the wings. The wheel bays are detailed with parts E35 and E36 already in position. 
wells.jpg

The bays are painted in semi-gloss white and lightly weathered with a brown-violet home-made wash. Wings are buttoned up.
7-B78-AD44-7-E80-45-D8-824-B-37-AEB17-F9

Landing flaps are glued in closed position and trailing edges thinned up.
CD9-E10-EF-5-E01-4682-8653-DA737-C24-CC3

The main fuselage parts are joined. 
BC5-A16-A5-D45-E-4030-BABC-9910-DAB945-E

The doors to the aerial refuelling system are engraved – NOSE:
refuel2.jpg

MID-FUSELAGE:
refuel1.jpg

That's it, folks.

We'll need some time to recover before tackling our BIG fish next: the intakes

Cheers,

Quang 

• Like 11

4 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

She's going to be a beauty, Q!  :):)

Martin

Thanks, M.

UC legs are the parts I hate doing in a kit. I thought I’d give a go at it while mojo still permits.

C8-B08096-237-D-475-B-B796-4187-FAF25-BB

Hope you like ‘em!

Cheers,

Q

• Like 7

7 hours ago, quangster said:

The photo-etched part is pre-formed around a cylinder-shaped tool such as a brush handle.

And the final results is what I expected - you’re done it absolutely right! 👍

For ease of assembly, the UPPER central fuselage is first joined to the tail assembly, making sure that the joint is perfect.

Nice idea, Quang! I glued the both fuselage halves together and added the «keel» later. The rudder was applied later and needed some extra glue and fixation. It’s all ended up with an excessive glue filling with a syringe and catheter through an air brake actuator openings...

The wheel bays are detailed with parts E35 and E36 already in position.

Another wise decision here. Great job, Q! :like:

If you're planning to be build a camouflaged version, why you’re sanded out the formation lights? 

Cheers! 😎

28 minutes ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

I glued the both fuselage halves together and added the «keel» later. The rudder was applied later and needed some extra glue and fixation. It’s all ended up with an excessive glue filling with a syringe and catheter through an air brake actuator openings...

Looks like you went surgical, heh? 😁

The problem with non-typical kits like the KH Voodoo is that you need to devote some time to study the parts and to know how they are meant to be put together.

Take the wing/fuselage for instance: put the two wing lugs in the corresponding fuselage slots, pull to the rear and the wing is locked in position. That feature is not even mentioned in the instructions.

Look at the wing/fuse joint below. Just dry-fit, no glue was used.

6622232-D-DAD3-4-FC5-A888-B3-D2-E630955-

While complex at first sight, the engineering of these kits is very clever. Unfortunately this cleverness is being let down by the lazy, erroneous and out-of-sequence instructions.

46 minutes ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

If you're planning to be build a camouflaged version, why you’re sanded out the formation lights? 

It's a matter of timeline.

I'm doing an early to mid-60s machine. Formation lights AKA slime lights weren't introduced until the mid-70s along with disco music 😉

Camouflaged RF-101 with formation lights are often ANG.

Cheers,

Quang

• Like 5

9 hours ago, quangster said:

Looks like you went surgical, heh? 😁

It’s just some tricks that I learned from my daily work. 👍

Take the wing/fuselage for instance: put the two wing lugs in the corresponding fuselage slots, pull to the rear and the wing is locked in position.

And you’re already answered:

While complex at first sight, the engineering of these kits is very clever.

That feature is not even mentioned in the instructions.

It’s obvious, fortunately.

Unfortunately this cleverness is being let down by the lazy, erroneous and out-of-sequence instructions.

Yes, an instruction sheet looks very raw, as some other parts of this kit. But it’s have a charm, unlike many other modern kits.

Formation lights AKA slime lights weren't introduced until the mid-70s along with disco music 😉

Sure thing, but it’s an Eduard’s mistake to provide us the «wrong» IP from the SEA conflict timeline. Anyway, it’s not so noticeable difference and not a deal-breaker.

Keep up the good work, Quang! 🤝

Cheers! 🙂

2 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Sure thing, but it’s an Eduard’s mistake to provide us the «wrong» IP from the SEA conflict timeline. Anyway, it’s not so noticeable difference and not a deal-breaker.

Wrong IP?

Eduard's IP looks quite adequate to me 👌

eb3bb3a421531e07ab92a87a32c12b71.jpg

ED32-E963-F315-4-F77-BBD7-06457908-B963.

Cheers,

Quang

• Like 5

1 hour ago, quangster said:

The Eduard panel looks like the one on your photo, same number of instruments, same location. 🤔

Notice the scope on the left upper corner (the late panel layout).

Cheers! 🙂

Oh yeah, the scope.

I remember reading somewhere that it’s related to the RHAWS warning system. So only the machines with the RHAWS bumps would have the small scope. Can you guys confirm?

Thanks Nikolay for the heads-up!

Cheers,

Q

• Like 1

1 hour ago, quangster said:

Thanks Nikolay for the heads-up!

Hạnh phúc để giúp, Quang!

The Ronald Easley’s book also has this image with a following text:

eb3bb3a421531e07ab92a87a32c12b71.jpg

«Instrument panel from RF-101C 56-0166, now housed in the NMUSAF at Wright-Patterson AFB. Secret flight testing with the “Have Doughnut” MiG-21F-13 in 1968 showed that the APR-25 equipment, displayed on the top left of the panel, would often fail to detect its “High Fix” radar until it was well within firing position. USAF.»

Just for additional information. 🙂

@bentwaters81tfw, have you any information about the RF-101 IPs layouts?

P.S. Also, an Osprey Publishing’s recent release can be helpful: RF-101 Voodoo Units in Combat.

Cheers! 😎

Edited by Nikolay Polyakov

16 minutes ago, quangster said:

APR-25 was indeed part of the radar homing and warning system (RHAWS).

Thanks, Quang! I’m knowing nothing about the complex electronic equipment... Just a complex mechanic.

18 minutes ago, quangster said:

Cám ơn bạn Nikolay! (Google translate always makes me laugh, but what would we do without it?)

:oops: Sorry if wrote it wrong. There’s something special can happen sometimes, if you’re translate some phrases from one language to another a few times. 😂

Cheers! 🙃

5 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

When you're looking at a plane as good looking as the Voodoo, who cares what the panel looks like...?!

Oh Rob, sure thing - we’re just talking about the knowledge, and not to say that someone is wrong here! 🤝

2 minutes ago, quangster said:

Well, we’re in it for the fun, aren’t we?😜

Exactly! 😺

• Like 1