1:48 Jet Prevost T4, 'The Macaws' Display Team, 1960s, Fly kit

Not sure why but I took it into my head late last year that I wanted to get and build this kit. To be honest, I've never been particularly interested in the Jet Prevost before - I'd built the Airfix Strikemaster when I was a child, but for some reason I ended up buying this kit last year and have been building it on and off since December. In the end its turned out quite nicely.

DSC_1680.JPG

The engine intakes are supplied as resin inserts, which as you can see here took quite a bit of filler and sanding to blend in well. The seams on the wing-tip fuel tanks were also a pain!

DSC_1942.JPG

Fitting the resin seats in the cockpit was a tight squeeze. It was painted with Tamiya paints and it was during the painting for this I started experimenting with Butanol as a retardant for the Tamiya paint which worked really well. It meant that Tamiya paint became brushable! In fact the coaming over the instrument panel in the cockpit was brush painted with XF-69 Nato Black and dried perfectly smooth and even.

DSC_2342.JPG

DSC_2343.JPG

DSC_2344.JPG

DSC_2346.JPG

DSC_2348.JPG

DSC_2349.JPG

DSC_2354.JPG

DSC_2357.JPG

That makes a nice little addition to my collection of post-war RAF jets that I've been building up in the last few months. I'm happy with that.

• Like 54

Nice! I remember a shopping place called Botany Bay, and one of these was parked outside (bad condition), along with various tanks and a old Wessex helicopter. To cut a long story short... I was able to get the canopy open and sit inside. Have some pictures somewhere. Anyways... This model took me back to my childhood. So thanks. Great build and superb paint job! 👍

• Thanks 1

Cracking JP that! Been after one of these for ages, they never seem to drop in price though.

Your detail is superb, is it all from the kit or some aftermarket?

• Thanks 1

Its all in the kit - the only thing I added was some wire for the headrests of the ejector seats. The decal for the instrument panel is excellent.

The kit does instruct you to drill out the holes for the nose mounted lights but I didn't fancy doing it so I just painted them on.

• Like 1

Lovely work there.

Now you need to go to 1/72nd scale and get hooked on the recent Airfix JP3. There's a similar issue with the tip tanks, but otherwise it's a sweet little build and the Xtradecal sheet for it will tempt you to build loads of them.

• Like 1

Thanks - not sure about going back to 1:72 scale :) 

Its a decent kit considering its a limited run thing here is the sprue shot

DSC_1682.JPG

and the instrument panel and central console

DSC_1944.JPG

The fit was reasonable but did need some filler and sanding...

DSC_1943.JPG

• Like 2