Nightfighter - Fw190 A8/R11

rafalbert

Hi Guys,

Another one from deep in the stash. I bought this from Newark Air Museum when I was still in the RAF based at Cranwell (so pre-2005). This will be built straight from the box and will start it once I have finished one of my trainers.

IMG_20190326_205552__01

• Like 10

welcome along and with a nice choice as well.

They were a bit unique, can imagine the work load of the pilot would have been great in one of these.

Good luck with the build, should be a great one to follow, look forward to seeing her in the gallery.

• Like 1

He would indeed! I have made a minor start now I have finished my first trainer; the cockpit has been painted and fixed to the fuselage. It is a shame it is so dark as the detail is not bad, but not a lot will be seen when the fuselage is closed anyway.

IMG_20190331_220115

• Like 3

Hi,

I love the look of the Revell 190, and it would appear it is far more user friendly than the Airfix kit. I am steadily increasing my FW 190 stash for the rainy days, so I will follow your build.

You are brave to want to install all these aerials. I can just imagine the mess my clumsy fingers would cause with all the sticky thingies!

Even OOB, I would add some safety belts in the cockpit... Nobody will complain!

Have fun

JR

• Like 1

JR, I had closed the fuselage up before I saw your message, and honestly never thought about seat belts. D'oh!
It has gone together well so far, and taking care with the fitting it has only needed a little filler at the wing join. The only issue I have so far is the nose MG housing is slightly smaller than the fuselage, so there is a step. I don't want to attack it too much for fear of losing detail.

IMG_20190404_171618

• Like 4

On 4/4/2019 at 11:29 PM, Valkyrie said:

These are super wee kits, think they all suffer from a gap in the wing root. Good start 

I have a half built one of these (the one with the glide bomb) and that has issues with the wing roots as well.  Must be a "fault" of the kit?

I will be following this build rafalbert, might steal some ideas for when I get around to building this version. :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 1

I should have tried that! The other issue I have is the canopy. It doesn't fit properly (without some surgery), it has poor clarity and it looks to be curved rather than straight. I know Revell had a few canopy issues at the time of this kit's release; I didn't know this was one of them. Anyway, I am now at a standstill until I get a new canopy.

IMG_20190407_154044

Edited by rafalbert
  • Sad 2

Good progress so far.

Looks like the canopy quality has dropped since i have build mine some 25 years ago. You can improve the look of your 190 by much when you sand down the rivet line under the sliding hood.

With a slight plastic surgery you can made spare canopies ( sliding parts ) from Eduard or Italeri fit on your 190.

I have bought a new canopy from Rob Taurus, which looks pretty good compared with the kit one. Annoyingly there is an indentation at the top which is probably transit damage so I will see what I can do.

IMG_20190413_113617

• Like 2

Good to see you are getting over your problem. I have had that indent problem myself. Special Hobby kindly replaced the canopy for my Ju 87 A-1 kit and I ended up putting a book on it the day I got it. ( One of those stupid moments) resulting in the same indent. So I will be watching how yours turns out.