Hasegawa 1/8 DR. 1

ravinmac

Started building a Hasegawa 1/8 DR. 1.  I got as far as doing the Le Rhone engine.  

This is the finished engine, well.... sort of.  The ignition and fuel systems are not connected and I am trying to source the serial plate details that goes on the front.  

32532237067_bd48058ce2_b.jpg

46750874704_3a6c8e156d_b.jpg

46750876834_34d96cba06_b.jpg

32532238927_699db7c358_b.jpg

• Like 3

Here is some of the building process. Unfortunately I did not document alot.

This while I was finishing the inlet  pipes and considering if I was going to cut the cam shaft guides and make them more realistic.  Was also deciding to clean up the back plate file marks, but as this part of the engine will not be seen as it is against the firewall, I decided against it and worked on the more visible parts.

32532238557_23dcac7b4b_b.jpg

Silly thing doing this hobby is that there are alot of rabbit holes to get lost in. This is one of them, I covered the inlet manifolds with copper foil, the manifolds were sanded back and remade from plasticard for a more accurate look. I decided against drilling out the manifold, really fiddly and awkward to place, only doing the bolts.

46750876004_6190fd1a69_h.jpg

46750876364_a28a4c83fd_b.jpg

This was just after the manifold pipes were glued in position. 

46750875594_cf676d1aaf_b.jpg

After removing and filing back the studs on the front plate. Was replaced with 1.2 mm pins, washers and bolts.  

32532237547_d9ee561e32_b.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks. I took my reference from the London Science Museum, they had an old beaten one there.

My girlfriend thought I was nuts.  She asked if I was going to date it 😀 

• Haha 1

A mate of mine made one of those back when they came out. Took him an absolutely age to make but it was utterly amazing when finished. He had a custom sized glass case for it to live in in his study.

I'd love the SE5a they did but if I'm honest I have to wonder whether I'd ever finish making it if I ever got it. Probably the Merit 1/24 SE5a is a more realistic option for me.

But my hat is off to anyone with the skill, patience and time to build these Hasegawa 1/8 museum jobs as they are simply incredible.

9 minutes ago, Smithy said:

A mate of mine made one of those back when they came out. Took him an absolutely age to make but it was utterly amazing when finished. He had a custom sized glass case for it to live in in his study.

I'd love the SE5a they did but if I'm honest I have to wonder whether I'd ever finish making it if I ever got it. Probably the Merit 1/24 SE5a is a more realistic option for me.

But my hat is off to anyone with the skill, patience and time to build these Hasegawa 1/8 museum jobs as they are simply incredible.

Well Smithy, if you are interested there is an  opportunity in the pipeline but, first I am working on raising my posts so that I can use the For Sale forum.

9 minutes ago, ravinmac said:

Well Smithy, if you are interested there is an  opportunity in the pipeline but, first I am working on raising my posts so that I can use the For Sale forum.

Don't tempt me! I've got enough kits languishing in The Cupboard of Doom.

• Haha 1