Armstrong Whitworth Whitley GR. Mk.VII

21 minutes ago, Shelliecool said:

And she's got her first coat! Vallejo black, hopefully this will help make the aluminium really shine. First time I have done this with aluminium/ silver.

Looking good Michelle.  Don’t forget that these aeroplanes had aluminium doped undersides, so no way will it be as shiny as a 1960s Lightning at an air show.  Having said that the Whitley needed every knot of airspeed it could get, so a bit of a polished finish probably wouldn’t go amiss either.

Your masking of the cockpit windows is exemplary: I wish you could come round and do mine for me!  Captain Fat-Fingers here has had three goes on his already and still isn’t ready to paint!

• Thanks 1

Since my last post I have laid down a coat of Vallejo silver and sanded it back lightly in places. Then I went on to airbrush a coat of Aluminium, intentionally going for a mottled look in places.

IMG_20190427_084613

I am pretty happy with the results, and have sealed it in with gloss varnish. Now to move onto preshading the top of the aircraft, and the camo print job.

• Like 11

I have sealed in the Aluminium underside of the aircraft with Quick shine gloss, and once dry, masked her up. Then came the task of preshading, there are a great many panel lines on this aircraft so it was going to be time consuming, and involve a lot of concentration! I mixed up some Vallejo black with a little thinner and began the task.

2019-04-28_03-58-12

I have found its important to blast air through the brush after each line /stroke is complete as it eliminates and splatter. I'm pretty happy with the results and look forward to laying down some of the camo over the top.

• Like 8

Over the last couple of days I have masked up the green sections of camo pattern, and began the task of airbrushing the Dark Earth. For this I mixed Vallejo Dark Earth with thinner and lightly sprayed it over the build. It went down smoothly and evenly. https://flic.kr/p/2exLWZG

It is now drying awaiting another coat.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shelliecool said:

Hi Chris, I know.......but can't work out why? Do you think the new server doesn't like my Flickr?

Thanks,

Michelle.

If you look Michelle the file name is at the end of a sentence .

It should be on a separate line.

2 hours ago, Shelliecool said:

went down smoothly and evenly. https://flic.kr/p/2exLWZG

2019-05-01_04-35-50

Simon.

• Thanks 1

Been a while since I've given an update on the build. I have been working steadily on additional coats of Dark Earth, which I sealed in with Quick shine gloss, before remaking it to begin the Dark green. I normally mask up the first colours I've sprayed really well, however, this time I attempted to lay my paper masks over the top and make the edges of the camo look more natural. However, this didn't work for me. So father the first light coat was dry I reverted back to my usual technique.....lots of tape very well burnished! So here she is, 

2019-05-09_06-54-39

....waiting for a coat of quick shine before I apply decals. Big sigh of relief I must say!

• Like 12

While the varnish was drying, I started working on the propellers, spinners, and undercarriage. Firstly airbrushing the undercarriage struts and wheel hubs Aluminium, and giving the propeller tips a coat of yellow.

IMG_20190512_223728

Then I masked up the hubs and the propeller tips and airbrushed several light coats of black for the tyres and blades. 

Tonight, it was decal time! There are not a great lot of decals on this scheme, but they are large. Concerned about silvering, I cut the letters out individually and carefully reconstructed them on the build.

IMG_20190514_232311

Using Micro sol, I gently eased them onto the surface, and so far they appear to have settled down well. So far so good.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, dogsbody said:

I do believe that the undercart on Whitleys was painted black.

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.130148815.1727883

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.134254129.1727883

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.166897150.1727883

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.129689420.1727883

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.204128976.1727883

Chris

I think most of them were Chris, although I have found some photos of the British Airways ones with what could be aluminium?

2019-05-15_08-11-21

Thanks,

Michelle.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Shelliecool said:

I think most of them were Chris, although I have found some photos of the British Airways ones with what could be aluminium?

2019-05-15_08-11-21

Thanks,

Michelle.

Well, there ya go! Okay, you're good then.  I eagerly await the RFI on this.

Chris

• Thanks 1

Since my last post I have finally finished applying the decals, and have sealed them in with Quick shine gloss varnish.IMG_20190516_212810_zpsityold0v.jpg

My next step is to apply some weathering before building the undercarriage and props. Not far off the finish line now.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, dogsbody said:

So you've gone from Flickr to Photobucket? Why? Most people have jumped the PB ship and have gone elsewhere.

Chris

It's not by choice Chris, I went to upload my photos to Flickr only to be told I've gone over my limit of 1000 free uploads. It wants me to buy Flickr pro, so I thought I'd be clever and delete a few from my Flickr account, this didn't work and I kept getting the same message. So I have gone for Photobucket purely as a second choice.

Thanks,

Michelle.

Flickr will constantly warn you when you're about to exceed the 1000 photos if you're near that limit. You can choose to be reminded later. What I did was to delete all my modelling photos and move them to Imgur.

Edited by Sturmovik
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Sturmovik said:

Flickr will constantly warn you you're about to exceed the 1000 photos if you're near that limit. You can choose to be reminded later. What I did was to delete all my modelling photos and move them to Imgur.

Same here, much easier and I can use my phone copying the link from the app which I never figured out with the other two.

the transfers look excellent! They have settled down perfectly 

Rob

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shelliecool said:

It's not by choice Chris, I went to upload my photos to Flickr only to be told I've gone over my limit of 1000 free uploads. It wants me to buy Flickr pro, so I thought I'd be clever and delete a few from my Flickr account, this didn't work and I kept getting the same message. So I have gone for Photobucket purely as a second choice.

Thanks,

Michelle.

I paid Flickr for the Pro move-up. It cost about $48.00 CDN per year. That's just less than the cost of a McDonalds medium coffee once a week. That seemed fairly cheap to me and I'm on a fixed income retirement plan. It's easy to use and there are no water marks to ruin the image.

Chris

• Like 1