Armstrong Whitworth Whitley GR. Mk.VII

Just now, stevehnz said:

This is going together very nicely Michelle. I don't know if I should be watching this though, it'll just make me want one & I'm trying to stay faithful to my old Frog one. :)

Steve.

I have two FROG/NOVO kits but I've also bought one each of the new Airfix kits. They are way superior.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Been busy working on both builds this evening, having secured the floor section into place I began fixing the wings the the struts. Now stumpy they may be but these wings are wide! 

IMG_20190402_223300

However, Airfix have ensured there are some great locating pins and the pieces went together with ease. Leaving this to dry I thought I'd fit the nose to the big bird. This I thought would be simple, no glass just one piece of plastic, what could go wrong? Well, it didn't fit! Quite a lot of muttering and sanding later, the job I thought would take seconds was done, and the flat nose was in place.

IMG_20190402_223316

I then went back to the wing section and carefully fitted the top pieces onto the bottoms. These are now taped together drying.

IMG_20190402_224638

Coming along nicely I think.

Edited by Shelliecool
  • Like 8

I have been working on the nacelles, radiators and undercarriage areas. Having forgotten the wise words of stever219, I merrily followed the instructions building the nacelles, sanding any seams and happy with my work, airbrushing the aluminium insides of these.

IMG_20190407_175026IMG_20190407_175026IMG_20190407_175044

Then I went to fit the radiators, and realised it is virtually impossible with everything else built. Tweezers, lots of swearing (not out loud as my child was in the room) and determination I managed to twist them in and pull them forward to fit......just!

IMG_20190407_182748

With the radiators fitted, I fixed the nacelles to the wings........these are a pain too and will require some filler, they are however attached and drying. Now for a stiff drink!!!!!

• Like 14

14 hours ago, Shelliecool said:

Now for a stiff drink!!!!!

Only ONE I would have been looking for a bottle of Malt after that!

Very nice work on a very much forgotten type, looking forward to more of the same

Roger

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, WhitleyZ6743 said:

Coming along very nicely, can I ask what paint you used for the aluminium? It looks to have a very smooth and fine pigment finish.

I have used Vallejo model air aluminium, and it sprays beautifully, really smooth.

Thanks,

Michelle

Back to the build yesterday after a week away relaxing. The time had come to attach the nose section of fuselage, and then attempt to align the longer rear section of fuselage to this and the wings. To say a sweat broke out wouldn't be an understatement! Neither fit nice and snug and required a little wiggling, pushing and fettling to hold them in the correct place. To relieve the amount of movement once in place I applied a spot of superglue top and bottom, then used my regular Revell glue around the rest. With force the fuselage, wings and nose were joined. They did require however, a bit of filler!

IMG_20190414_084647

IMG_20190414_084639

I have applied some more filler this morning and will sand it down once dry.

IMG_20190414_084656

I then masked up the canopy, burnished the tape in with cocktail sticks, and applied it to the fuselage. A spot of filler in places and it's good to go.

IMG_20190414_084711

IMG_20190414_084727

Edited by Shelliecool
  • Like 13

Nice going Michelle, looks like a plane now.

A tip, if you use acrylic fillers on the canopy join , add a drop of the interior colour to the filler first.

That way, it will blend in better on the inside when viewed as there will be no white bits, hopefully.

Simon. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Christer A said:

Nice work!

How will you mask all the tiny windows?

Funny you should say that christer, I was just stood looking at the build wondering about the same thing!!!! I will probably use Vallejo Liquid mask.

Thanks,

Michelle

• Like 2

With the fuselage and wings nicely in place I began building the tail plane. I firstly glued the horizontal stabilisers into position, dabbing a little superglue on the tab and Revell glue around the rest. With both of these secure I then fixed the vertical stabilisers to them, again using the same technique. Finally I added the strut from the fuselage to the vertical stabiliser, these fitted beautifully, and are now drying.......almost time for paint!!!!

IMG_20190416_160450

IMG_20190416_160457

• Like 9

Quick update (no photos yet.....sorry). I have masked all the tiny Windows with liquid mask, and once dry began airbrushing a coat of Vallejo primer to the underside of the build. This went down brilliantly, and the seam looks pretty good, however, there were a few visible glue marks along the ailerons. Begrudgingly, I sanded these back and later airbrushed these sections again, feeling slightly more positive about the whole thing now.

• Like 3