F-86H

Sabrejet

Yes apologies for the drift which is partly my fault (but you know what it's like when you get the bit between your teeth).

Do you have any details of the wheel wells and airbrakes?

Hello all. I believe this is my first post here, but maybe not. Anyway, the observations about the kit fuselage are incorrect. Please re-examine the drawings posted at the beginning of the thread. The fuselage dimension is 35’ 8” not 38’ 8”. The latter is the distance to the back of the tail planes. RidgeRunner’s profile needs to scaled to 15.09 cm, not 16.4. 

13 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

I intend to do mine as a QF-86H

Here's a photo of another QF!

Mike

https://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/f-86/images/pof_qf-86h-02.jpg

https://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/f-86/images/pof_qf-86h-01.jpg

Edited by 72modeler
added another photo
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, grgattermeyer said:

The fuselage dimension is 35’ 8” not 38’ 8”. The latter is the distance to the back of the tail planes. RidgeRunner’s profile needs to scaled to 15.09 cm, not 16.4. 

You are correct. My error.

Martin

Hi Martin. I wasn't picking on you. Just thought I'd point it out to anyone who may be interested. As it so happens, I have a recent fascination with this very aircraft and have considered purchasing the SH kit. I came here and saw not one, but three separate threads on the subject. How timely.

4 hours ago, grgattermeyer said:

Hi Martin. I wasn't picking on you. Just thought I'd point it out to anyone who may be interested. As it so happens, I have a recent fascination with this very aircraft and have considered purchasing the SH kit. I came here and saw not one, but three separate threads on the subject. How timely.

No problem and, of course, you were right! :)

Martin

On 29/03/2019 at 12:52, RidgeRunner said:

Oh no, SJ! :(. The thread started about accuracy of the profiles etc and we are still on that. Your input is always valuable on the subject!

Martin

No it's fine: it looks like the accuracy of the fuselage is worth concentrating on; I may post the 'data' elsewhere anyway. This thread would be useful for discussion of the accuracy of the Special Hobby F-86H fuselage. It does look like there's a shape issue with the nose section. Plus it might also generate an accurate set of F-86H plans!

• Like 1

Thanks Duncan.

The machine (21977) in the second image looks unusual. The national insignia on the fuselage look odd  and the under wing nat. Insignia is peculiarly placed. Is there a story behind this one? The colour scheme looks like a drone?

Martin

'977 is the No.3 F-86H and that photo shows its first flight at Columbus, still in primer. Yes, NAA built Sabres in primer and then stripped it off before delivering the aircraft in NMF! Go figure as they say. 

Small white dots on the photo are stickers put there by the NAA Inspector as items under each access panel is checked-off prior to being transferred for acceptance.

Edited by Sabrejet

14 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

eh? 🤔

sorry, my old brain. i was talking about the second image and you were referring to the 3rd H-model..... I'm getting too old :(

;)

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

The F-86H windscreen isn't the same as that on the F-86F. Note in the photos how the quarter panel transparency lower edges fall below the lower edge of the main canopy transparency. As a matter of interest, I did a bit of research on the internet to see if anyone had attempted to convert an F-86D to an F-86H. Tried to determine the difference in fuselage depth between an F-86D and F-86H but couldn't come up with numbers. The F-86H is known to have a 6" splice running from front to back. I don't know what kind of splice was used on the F-86D, though it appears it didn't run the entire length of the fuselage. It appears the rear fuselage lower profile is quite a bit different between the '86D and the '86H. 

If doing an F to H conversion, using the Academy or Hasegawa 1/48 kits, might kit bashing from a Revell 1/48 F-86D (canopy and windscreen) be easier than trying to modify the F canopy and windscreen? Ideally we'll get a new mold H in all the popular scales, but I have doubts. As is well known, less than 500 H models were produced and their service with the active duty Air Force was brief, though they did wear some very colorful markings. They also carried colorful markings, at least during the early years, while serving with the Air National Guard. A few were used briefly by the Air Force Reserve but I've yet to find any photos showing colorful markings for an Air Force Reserve F-86H. Any feedback is most welcome.