F-86H

Sabrejet

Prompted by a few F-86H threads here, I thought I'd post some data in the hope that it will help. So here's a start, which will hopefully also give a good idea of the fuselage profile. Strictly, one should never scale from drawings of this type, but NAA undoubtedly supplied accurate profiles to go with the fuselage station diagram:

We do need some decent F-86H plans! This wing plug diagram shows all the attachments up to the final extended-span wing:

These should open as large-size images. I will try to post more stuff but please be patient! 👍 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Ejection seat is similar to the F-86D/K/L but lacks the storm lights, among other things:

F-86H Seat 2

There are also three main configurations of instrument panel, but here are a couple of generic diagrams. I'll post the three in-depth explanations in the next lot.

6 (8)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Thanks, I am originally from Mass and not far from my home in western Mass was Barnes

AFB which had F-86H Sabres in ANG service when I was a kid. How good is the Special

Hobby kit, F-86H? I always wanted to do a Mass ANG F-86H.---John

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Johnv said:

Thanks, I am originally from Mass and not far from my home in western Mass was Barnes

AFB which had F-86H Sabres in ANG service when I was a kid. How good is the Special

Funnily enough @RidgeRunner (who precipitated this thread) asked a similar question. He had queries on the length of the nose and the rake of the windshield. I'd agree that both do look a bit long and steep (respectively) but that's based on views of built models. Hopefully a quick comparison with the side-views above will help settle that one.

SJ, that side view image looks more like a F-86A/E/F, doesn't it? If it truly is an F-86H the kit is way out, having a deep fuselage.  However, the "dumpy" look seems correct to me:

Martin

• Like 2

Thanks, does Special Hobby do both 50 caliber and 20 mm canon? Also does the kit

only do the last wing, F40 or all 3 that were used? I know the ANG unit at Boston Logan

Airport had 20 mm canons and the ANG unit at Barnes AFB had 50 caliber MGs.---John

6 hours ago, Johnv said:

Thanks, does Special Hobby do both 50 caliber and 20 mm canon? Also does the kit

only do the last wing, F40 or all 3 that were used? I know the ANG unit at Boston Logan

Airport had 20 mm canons and the ANG unit at Barnes AFB had 50 caliber MGs.---John

John,

Both SH F-86H kits (72120 and 72167) have the same F-40 extended span, 6-3 wing with slats, but the slats are not positionable; both kits come with separate wing fences , but on the F-40 wing, they are not needed. Both kits have 4 20mm gun ports. You could do an early production H by removing the one foot extended wing section, re-attach the wingtips, and scribe the aileron hinge lines all the way out to the tips,  fit the wing fences, and fill the slat panel lines to make the standard chord, standard span 6-3 wing. The angle of the kit windscreen is not sloped enough in the build photos I have seen, but the SH F-86K kit, 72146, has two vacform canopies and the windscreens look like they have more slope than the H kit.  I think the D/K/L used the same canopy, so maybe a windscreen from one of those 1/72 kits might work? (See kit reviews or built models to see what the kit windscreen looks like and draw your own conclusion- these old Mk 1a eyeballs ain't what they used to be!.) BTW, both H kits appear to have the correct hubs for an H, although the detailing is a little soft- the spoke pattern on the H, and I think also the D/K/L was the same, IIRC, but @Sabrejet would be the man to ask. Hope this helps!

Mike

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Johnv said:

Special Hobby kit is quite good in my opinion.

f86h-c10.jpg

It fits to the plan I had, assembles quite nicely and with very few filler if you are careful when gluing.

However

• The wings trailing edge would benefit from some thinning
  • Seat need detailing
  • The tailplanes are just butt-glued to the fuselage and the positioning is not easy
  • The multitude of VERY small PE parts (vortex generators under the tail) is nerve-racking to install - I confess I just renounced after several tries-
  • The decals are excessively fragile - I intended originally to do the Mass ANG plane, but I never managed to use the larger decals, especially the fuselage bands as they destroyed to the slightest touch... That's why I went for the NY ANG posted above.
    I would recommend to source some other decals for the fuse bands, or try masking and painting.

Apart form that, I must say I enjoyed building the kit and it makes for a fine rendition of the Hog.

Edited by Hamster Volant
  • Like 4

Thanks, I wanted to do a 104th bird from Barnes AFB with 3 machine guns but that would take

more work than I want, also I know of no decals for that unit. I will search the web and see

if anyone makes an aftermarket gun panel and the proper decals. I am really not interested in

the 102nd plane from Boston. I am interested in an F-86H I came across with my 2 year old son

while camping near Canandaigua in 1986. There was a lone F-86H next to a VFW in Shortsville NY

and I set up my tripod and took a picture of my son and I sitting on the wing. It was 53-1337. Any idea

how I can find it's original markings and or unit? That would fit the Special Hobby plane fine.---John

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnv said:

gun panel

Before you go cutting, you could try scratching a panel yourself, I know I would. I had to do exactly that on my current Avon Sabre albeit only one cannon. If you can track down the 104th TFG badge, you can do a little DIY decal. Isn't modelling fun.

Stuart

1 hour ago, Johnv said:

It was 53-1337. Any idea

how I can find it's original markings and or unit? That would fit the Special Hobby plane fine.---John

John,

According to the Forgotten Jets website, the F-86H you mentioned, 53-1337, was an F-86H-10. It served with the following units: 413th FDW, 312th FBW, 83rd FDW, and lastly the 121st FDS, DC ANG; currently preserved at a VFW post at Shortsville, NY. I found a link to a website that has color profiles of F-86H's, including 53-1337. Scroll down to see her in her ANG markings. There was no photo with the illustration, so no guarantee as to the color profile's  accuracy. You might try a search for the 121st FIS DC ANG website to see if there are any photos. 2nd/3rd  links are to  121st FS F-86H-10's a few digits from the one you posted- note the markings are not the same as the H in the color profile. I looked in my copy of The Air Guard, Aerofax 2, by Rene Francillon, but there were no photos of F-86H's in the section on the 121st FS. Sorry- best I can do with my references.

Mike

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/233547-f-86h-sabre/

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:121st_Fighter_Squadron_(District_of_Columbia_Air_National_Guard)#/media/File:121st_Tactical_Fighter_Squadron_-_North_American_F-86H-10-NH_Sabre_53-1329.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/113th_Wing#/media/File:121st_Fighter-Interceptor_Squadron_4-ship_F-86.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Julien said:

I intend to do mine as a QF-86H

That is one weathered and beat-up QF-86H! No way would I even attempt trying to duplicate that finish in 1/72! You go, bro'! 👍

Mike

5 hours ago, 72modeler said:

That is one weathered and beat-up QF-86H! No way would I even attempt trying to duplicate that finish in 1/72! You go, bro'! 👍

Mike

It might not be as good as the photos!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Julien said:

Some nice pics here. I intend to do mine as a QF-86H

40419998392_b1e72f1387_b.jpg

Nice :). Mine is going to be 52-2110 "The Powerhouse" of the 104th TFS, Maryland ANG :). The unit was one of very few that had nose art. I just need to work out the corrective actions on the kit!

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner