P-40B Tomahawk Questions

BlackAck

I’ve managed to snag Trumpeter’s 1:32 P-40B (Tomahawk 2a) for a reasonable price including postage, but what details I would  need to add to make a good model of that mark in RAF service?  I know that’s a broad question, and it gets to the point of deminishing returns, but I’m open to suggestions. 

2 hours ago, Jure Miljevic said:

IIRC Trumpeter 1/32 P-40 B has undersized

Trumpeter size the cockpit for chinese pilots which had short legs..... 😉

2 hours ago, BlackAck said:

Do you know if they would have used Sutton Harnesses or the American type?

Sutton

Okay.  I've done a quick interweb search and found that seats with square backs (described as being 'for Export') are non-existent in 1:32.  Is it as simple a lopping off the curve on a 'standard' seat?  

Regarding Sutton harnesses, I had no idea that there were various types K, QL, QA, QP etc.  Does it matter which I use?

• BlackAck changed the title to P-40B Tomahawk Questions
4 hours ago, BlackAck said:

Okay.  I've done a quick interweb search and found that seats with square backs (described as being 'for Export') are non-existent in 1:32.  Is it as simple a lopping off the curve on a 'standard' seat?  

The Export squareback seat used in the Tomahawk was  alse used in the early RAF Mk1 Mustang.  ..While not the best, the 1/32 Hobbycraft Mustang has this seat. 

9 hours ago, BlackAck said:

Regarding Sutton harnesses, I had no idea that there were various types K, QL, QA, QP etc.  Does it matter which I use?

Tomahawk could be fitted with two seat types.
rounded, the mounting is slightly bent at the top just before the armour plate and the squared type, there was a cast part bolted on armour plate

the harness was a Sutton K ( eyelets on lapbelt).

I understand rounded seats were used mostly on early Tomahawks I and Mohawks, originally ordered by French. Tomahawks IIa had been equipped with squared seats, as HBBates said. Otherwise, thanks for information about Sutton harnesses subtype, BS_w. Cheers

Jure

5 hours ago, Jure Miljevic said:

I understand rounded seats were used mostly on early Tomahawks I and Mohawks, originally ordered by French. Tomahawks IIa had been equipped with squared seats, as HBBates said. Otherwise, thanks for information about Sutton harnesses subtype, BS_w. Cheers

Jure

To my knowledge the early Tomahawks I did not use the roundback seat..its possable but i would have to see a photo 

The point of the "square back seat" seem was to be genric seat that would accommodate Brit seatpack parachute and French backpack parachutes..(the flat square seatback fits a backpack parachute better then a round curved seat back..that the point of a flat square seatback...also note that the  squareback seat ..seatpan is also unique with and indentation in the bottom and bump out on the left with leather  lining to meet British requirements for their seat pack parachutes...)

You see the square back seat used on Tomahawk, Mustang, Buffalo, Harvard and Yale ..its actually a very common seat..they are still around on today on warbirds today (Harvard and Yale trainers, the EAA XP51 Mustang )

Now before the square back seat... on Hawk 75's sold to France you do see the US type round back seats... modify a bit for the French..so I would not be really surprised to see it in early Tomahawks from the French order..but I can not recall seeing one

I've always suspected the square back seat originated with the Anglo-French Purchasing Board Set up in North America in 39 for the British and French to coordinate common buying of war material in north america .. Hence a common aircraft seat that fit both British and French requirements

Edited by HBBates