Felixstowe flying boats..I had wondered...

JimF

I just finished re-reading Hallam's "The Spider's Web" last week. I wanted to do so, now having a better understanding of RNAS operations. It was the 1st book, I think, that I read, regarding the RNAS.

One detail he mentioned, was bringing the boats out from the hanger, sideways. With the dolly cradles supplied with the Roden and WnW kits, I wondered how this was done.

After viewing this IWM video, I now realize, the model cradles are wrong.

Link   https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/1060008278?fbclid=IwAR2qz4KIhAgUcqYOwedZnaSIuNg6iWdRTWh7rbrBxe2DMNwBx2Z1vkjm-ro

I'm going to stop where I am with my build, and build the cradle, looking at modifying it

Learn something new everyday :)

Jim F

• Like 3

Interesting video Jim, fascinating to see some these old seaplanes in action.

Personally I would be reluctant to conclude that anything is 'wrong' based on one piece of evidence.  What that film says to me is that there was more than one type of handling trolley. I can see the sense in different locations with particular hangars and site layouts, deciding to make or modify their own handling trolley to suit the local need.

A quick google shows a few variations, with This Felixstowe F.2a sitting on a trolley, not identical, but much like the Wingnuts version.

John

• Like 1

John, yeah, you are correct. I should not have stated the cradles were wrong, but that there were variations. I've seen the pic you linked to, have it as one of my screen background slides, in fact. I guess it was seeing the video, right after reading the book, that caught me up.

The smaller front wheel in the picture does appear to have a pivoting mount. The cradles in the kits do not. I would think any cradle would have to have either the pivoting smaller wheels, or the larger wheels mounted as in the video.

Jim F

• Like 1

I liked the shots of the Felixstowe with the two upper wing gunner positions in the IWM film. This would make an interesting modification for either the 1/72 Roden, 1/48 Lone Star Models, or 1/32 Wingnut kits.

• Like 1

Berman, funny you should mention, I was thinking along those lines. If I can sell off my WnW Early kit, I want to buy the 1/48 one. Just will not have the room for the WnW one, if I ever get it finished. I had thought of modifying it ala the Roden kit, with the one upper wing gun position, but that 2 gun version look so cool.

Regarding my original post, that will 'learn me'! I was so focused on the way the aircraft looked, and watching the ground crew, I missed what was right in front of me. The 2nd scene of a boat being brought from a hanger, shows it coming straight out, on a cradle just like the kit ones. So, as John stated above, it most likely depended on location as much as anything else.

And finally, watching it again, focusing on the dollies, you can see how they turned it even with fixed position wheels. The side wheels are larger, allowing the cradle to be rocked either forward or backward, so the cradle turned on just the larger wheels.

Learned my lesson for today LOL

Jim F

• Like 1

Jim, it was a fascinating video, I loved the way the Felixstowes massive wings bounced and flexed as they moved it on the trolley, so thanks for bringing it to everyone's attention. There is no real need to 'learn lessons' I'm not trying to claim authoritative knowledge, I'm just enjoying kicking ideas around with a fellow enthusiast. Long may it continue!

Cheers

John

• Like 1

John, the Felixstowe boats have been a interest, though dormant for most of the time, for decades. 1961, I'm 10, family is on vacation on Cape Cod, MA. Friends and I hear a sound, like motors, though not a deep, when a 2 engine biplane passes over head. First look, it seemed like a full size one. As we watch, however, it descends, vanishing behind a rock breakwater. We rush over and climb up, just in time to see it finish landing in the tidal pool. It was a model, though wingspan was at least 6'. A man is sitting at a small table at the edge of the water, with a radio like box in front of him.

It was a model Felixstowe he had built, one based on a aircraft his Dad had flown in WWI. The radio control gear was all military surplus he had bought and used. Sorry to say, other than seeing him fly it one more time a day of 2 later, I did not think to get details about him, his dad, or the model. Kids!   

I have built models off and on for many years, cars, armour, figures, I but never really got into aircraft. However, about a year ago, I found out about Wingnut Wings' kits, and that they had done 2 versions of the Felixstowe. Since then, I have bought one of the early models, as well as a couple of the Roden 1/72 kits. This has also lead me into a big interest in the RNAS. Also, finding out one of the flyable aircraft in the Rise Of Flight flight sim, has got me trying to learn how to fly WWI aircraft, as well. LOL

I started, a little bit, on the WnW kit, but a change in house arrangement has lost me my large space, so the kit will most likely not get built by me. I have one spot where I could fit a 1/48 scale one, with a bit or room to spare, so that will be my next purchase. I have found the 1/72 models are just too small and fiddly for me, nowadays.

Anyway, such is how my interest in these fascinating aircraft started, and I'm still learning as I go along.

Jim F

Sounds interesting Jim, a large flying model like that must have made quite an impression on a kid! I've also got a Wingnuts Felixstowe in the stash, (Duellists edition) and wonder where I could put it if I ever build it!

John

The reason for bringing the aircraft out sideways, is because doors at the back of No1 Hangar were much narrower, where they opened onto a concrete apron. The front doors had a much wider opening, and it could come out forwards. I would have liked to see it go down the ramp. The later slipways were a constant shallower slope. Eventually they built a 'Titan' hammerhead crane (like the one on the Clyde) to lift the aircraft out of the water.

Shame I could not get those hangars moved to Duxford, but the girderwork was all rivetted, and the costs of dismantling were prohibitive. Sadly they went to the cutters torch. Spent many a long hour inside there on a cold night.

• Like 2