German S-Boat question

Modelholic

Am I right in thinking that the late model (S-100) type boats had a rough weather cover for the forward gun mounting (depicted, I think, by part 47 in the Revell kit 05002)?

If so, what's the squarish bit that projects up from near the center for?

I can imagine dismounting the gun, but to use this to cover the mount would mean dismantling the gun cradle.

Tom

2 hours ago, longshanks said:

You're correct in your thinking.

As far as I'm aware the gun rotated to the vertical and the cover fitted over it

IHTH

Kev

He's right you know;)

The barrel detached and the main stem of the gun sat in the upright bit (if that makes sense).  The Gun cradle folded down inside

There's a diagram on page 57 of "Schnellboot In Action" 14035 (there are 2 versions)

Hugely timely as I've been researching S-boats over the past 24 hrs, possibly the next build:hmmm:

Rob

• Like 1

Shame really,

When I get around to building the aforementioned Revell kit, I was going to tie one of the square life rafts in that location for a bit of variation. Time for another re-think.

Rob, 

No matter what the scale I'll be waiting with anticipation and'll bet it'll be as good as your other light forces builds (no pressure there then!)

Tom

• Thanks 1

On 3/27/2019 at 8:32 AM, Modelholic said:

Shame really,

When I get around to building the aforementioned Revell kit, I was going to tie one of the square life rafts in that location for a bit of variation. Time for another re-think.

Rob, 

No matter what the scale I'll be waiting with anticipation and'll bet it'll be as good as your other light forces builds (no pressure there then!)

Tom

Thanks Tom - that's very kind.

On 3/27/2019 at 8:59 PM, beefy66 said:

This sound like a good idea for a joint project to pull all the reference together with a few builds together  :idea:

beefy

Definitely an idea!

On 3/26/2019 at 10:46 PM, longshanks said:

What scale would that be then ??

Kev

I've 2 base kits waiting in 1/72.  No room for 1/35

Rob

• Like 1

22 hours ago, longshanks said:

Are you aware of the griffon model PE sets. They do one with 37mm on stern and one with 4 x 20mm on stern

http://www.griffonmodel.com/product_view.asp?id=113&classid=85

This may or may not make your day 😉

Kev

Hi Kev - I've had the Griffon set for the 37mm from way back.  Silly prices being asked now.  This is one of those topics that I've collected for in anticipation for a build over the years.

I'm straining NOT to start a new build thread cos if I do sure as eggs the "B" will sit there 7% uncompleted :nono:

Rob

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Following on from Beefy's suggestion of a reference thread.

How were the reload torpedoes secured? I'm thinking steel bands (imagine hoops on a barrel) perhaps as chain could damage the torpedo skin.

Tom