De Havilland 1910, Entex, 1/72

Here is this model -made in 2013- for a friend, from a prehistoric kit:

This is another vintage classic, depicting once more an early bird of the Pioneer Era.

The only way to reasonably build this one is just (Beatle-style) letting it be. A sort of general clunkiness permeates the model but redeeming factors are the old age of the kit and its character of a Golden Oldie; so let’s just do another “homage building”. The resulting replica will be enough for it to be recognized and occupy its place in a collection aiming to give a visual account of aviation history.

Those who are familiar with the obscure origins of this hobby and the Paleoplastic period of manufacturers will know that Entex also offered several other models of Pioneer aircraft. Other brands like Pyro, Renwal, and the French Brifaut* (thanks Diego Fernetti for enlightening me on that one), also produced examples of Early Birds.

The kit itself: accompanying the sprues are the instructions, this time fortunately in English and a sheet of very thick paper meant to be covering material. I’ll take with a pinch of salt the recommendation of using that paper, thick and rough, and especially the suggestion of applying aeronautic dope to it to improve its surface and eliminate wrinkles, as one would do with a flying model. I wouldn’t bet on the chemical compatibility of the kit’s plastic and the dope. The instructions contain small illustrations, are kind of vague (surprise!) and omit clear rigging diagrams. Allow me to emphasize that: the instructions are horrible, in many ways that will be revealed as you advance with the construction groping your way. The box, though, shows small 3 views that provide some orientation in that matter, beware, though, that that 3 view contains many mistakes too, among the most flagrant an incorrect power-plant and therefore a bogus linkage system to the props. Look at some photos if you feel so inclined.

I have scratchbuilt a good number of these old machines, and frankly I consider it is the way to go if you want a good replica, that said I welcome the opportunity to build these naive vintage kits, which is fun and has a certain je ne sais quoi.

Before even starting construction I committed a mistake: I looked at references.The Flight magazine online archives have some pages that describe the plane, include images and a good plan of it. You may feel tempted to tweak here and there in order to provide for a more realistic outcome.
Tired of looking at the stupidly small graphics on the plan, I scanned it and referred to them in the comfort of the magnified image on my monitor.

*Brifaut also produced a model of the Ader Eole that seems quite cute -although also unavoidably clunky- according to photos. For what I can see on the Net collector’s items like that go these days for prices that are way, way beyond what the kit has really to offer, not considering its historic value of course.

50b.jpg

51.jpg

52.jpg

53.jpg

54.jpg

57.jpg

03.jpg

08.jpg

A photo of the kit's ridiculously small pilot alongside the kit's radiator and Manolo Schubertus Nakamurakara Kierkegaard, The Hieratic, my test pilot (whose stature is normal):

09.jpg

Well, that was really beyond acceptable, so I broke my "let it be" philosophy aimed to this particular kit and scratchbuilt another engine following photos and diagrams of the real thing. Oh, my, I told you not to look at references....
The accurization of the engine led unavoidably to revise the linkage to props and ancillaries, which are all wrongly depicted and incorrectly positioned in the kit, of course (didn't I tell you not to look at references...)

15.jpg

A trial covering begins, NOT using the kit's paper which is a disgrace:

17.jpg

The aft stabilizer has a notch which allows it to be glued to the fuselage end. In another example of bad engineering and poor judgment you would have to cut through the paper after covering to expose the contact area, marring the finish since the adjacent bays have a wall missing:

19.jpg

The area is consequently boxed-in, to allow the paper to glue to something -this flying modelers will understand easily-. The styrene added pieces will later be sanded flush with the general contour:

20.jpg

The stab correction already sanded and radiator thinned and painted:

21.jpg

The covering trial in process:

22.jpg

29.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

The flying surfaces are misted with an off-white color, to enhance realism:

40.jpg

The different struts are glued angled to the lower wing, to allow later on for the right incidence. There are three types of struts, so be careful:

41.jpg

The wing is glued to the fuselage frame. Needless to say, nothing coincides with nothing, and you have to fiddle your way until you position the wing correctly (and not as the the kit has it) thanks to the re-carving of the notches on the back pair of struts where they touch the fuselage longerons. Patience and a keen eye are required at this stage (and with this kit, at every stage):

42.jpg

The LG in place, a very fiddly assembly.
I can say, at this point, without a shadow of doubt, that this is one of the most poorly engineered kits I ever built.

46.jpg

50.jpg

58.jpg

60.jpg

62.jpg

64.jpg

66.jpg

68.jpg

72.jpg

84.jpg

80.jpg

• Like 17

Beautiful. I love DH aircraft and I think this is the very, very first time I've seen a model of this one done. And so beautifully done!

Moa, I remain ever so grateful to you for sharing your builds with us.

• Thanks 1

Moa, another great build. It probably required nerves of steel to fly this contraption as one false move on landing could have been disastrous for the pilot - there's not a great deal of protection for him! In fact all the early flying machines had this feature.

Thanks again for sharing 

Jeff

Edited by pinky coffeeboat
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

Moa, another great build. It probably required nerves of steel to fly this contraption as one false move on landing could have been disastrous for the pilot - there's not a great deal of protection for him! In fact all the early flying machines had this feature.

Thanks again for sharing 

Jeff

Well, Jeff, danger existed indeed, but given the puny speed they developed and low mass (low kinetic energy) I think the risk was more about getting tangled in all those wires (or shot at by the farmer you happened to land on his property)

Cheers

• Haha 1

Sow's ears and silk purses come to mind with this build Moa. I built the Pyro kits that you mention a very long time ago when they were still new and they were much better than this, (but my models were not!)That is just the kind of model that I would like to scratch build one day - but I will stick with styrene for the flying surfaces. Considering what you started with, and following your notes, I can understand why others just gave upi!!

P

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, pheonix said:

Sow's ears and silk purses come to mind with this build Moa. I built the Pyro kits that you mention a very long time ago when they were still new and they were much better than this, (but my models were not!)That is just the kind of model that I would like to scratch build one day - but I will stick with styrene for the flying surfaces. Considering what you started with, and following your notes, I can understand why others just gave upi!!

P

Your comment made me reflect upon a few things:

a) I come from a country, a culture and a childhood (speaking of the Yorkshiremen, but a tad more seriously) were things are not easily obtainable, if at all. And then, when I was a child or a teen even more.

I would get a model a year from my paternal grandma. She would pick me up (I was 8 or 9) and take me to the countryside to visit some relatives, and at the train station this hobby shop would be: Wonderland for me!

I would dwell forever about what kit to chose: the big ones (always deceptive, the illustrations on the box were invariably much bigger than the minuscule parts inside), the ones that looked complicated and therefore could have more parts (not always the case), etc.

Kits were a luxury item in Argentina then, and for my family a prohibitive expense.

So that's how I grew up, having to do either without or with what was at hand. The sunny side of it is the acquired ability and the unquenchable will to make it work, no matter what.

b) Now I take a sort of surgeon approach: if the patient is ill, I intervene, to the extent needed, no squirmy considerations, doubts, pondering too much, hesitation or morosity. I grab the tools and mercilessly cut. BUT: the patient has to survive (I lost only ONE patient so far, that on close to four hundred model built in the last years. I abandoned two more because I lost interest on the patients.

c) I don't like to leave kits behind, it feels wrong and wasteful. That's why my friends send me "rescue" kits (added to the ones I can now relatively comfortably buy).

If I would stop buying kits now, at the pace I build, I would have models to entertain myself for about 5 or 6 years. Plenty but not crazy, as kit stashes go.

Cheers

Fascinating and excellent work, as usual.

There was a TV programme recently about Hornby/Airfix which introduced me to the term 'SABLE' standing for Stash Already Beyond Life Expectancy

John

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, John R said:

Fascinating and excellent work, as usual.

There was a TV programme recently about Hornby/Airfix which introduced me to the term 'SABLE' standing for Stash Already Beyond Life Expectancy

John

Thanks John for posting that bit of info, i will look it up.

cheers