Is the Tardis a Flying Machine?

I believe it is. A scratchbuild project from 2012, made for my wife (she is British and loves the series) as a holidays gift.

It took about three months to be hand-made.
In opening the box, she showed the enthusiasm of a park statue that has been in the same corner for 400 years.
So I had to go and buy some jewelry. Darn.

07.jpg

10.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

24.jpg

26.jpg

29.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

36.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

40.jpg

41.jpg

42.jpg

43.jpg

And the apparatus about to take off in this Flickr clip (click on the link):

https://www.flickr.com/gp/61289374@N05/5662Pk

• Like 40
  • Haha 1

What a fantastic build and the lighting at the finish is a brilliant idea. 

I'm sorry that your good lady didn't appreciate your efforts, but I'm sure that is a common reaction from most of our wives, partners, fiancées, girlfriends, lovers, mistresses (*delete as applicable). 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

That is a work of art!

I'm happy to call it a flying machine if you are.

The subtle shading is awesome.

Alas, my Wife would probably prefer jewelry too - but I love it.

:clap:

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

But, but, but, it's not 1/72 scale! :whistle:

Oh, darn...but my excuse is: if there are dimensional anomalies inside (i.e. the space is bigger inside that it looks from outside), why no spacial/dimensional manipulation regarding exterior size?

Reduce it and put in the Dr.'s pocket? Convenient!

Cheers

• Like 1

What a lovely, thoughtful present! 

I imagine your wife's face was the same as my missus when I gave her a RNZAF F4 Corsair with Kathleen on it. An ideal Valentine's gift, or so I thought. Fortunately I had a plan B!

Pete

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Ed Russell said:

Most likely I would have gotten an even smaller reaction, proportional to the scale.

cheers

Brilliant job. Keep them coming. Even though I don't build these wingy things (AFV modeller), I can appreciate good models.

On the wife thing. Mine must be an oddity. Her name is Dorothy and I call her Doll, and she was most impressed years ago when I built Tamiya's P-51D as Big Beautiful Doll. She even wants the T shirt.

John.

• Like 2

On 3/26/2019 at 12:58 AM, Moa said:

Oh, darn...but my excuse is: if there are dimensional anomalies inside (i.e. the space is bigger inside that it looks from outside), why no spacial/dimensional manipulation regarding exterior size?

Reduce it and put in the Dr.'s pocket? Convenient!

Good question.  Way back when my friend introduced me to Dr. Who (Tom Baker days) he said that there was some kind of malfunction that prevented the Tardis from changing external appearance.  So perhaps you aren't so far off!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

he said that there was some kind of malfunction that prevented the Tardis from changing external appearance. 

IIRC,  the back story is TARDIS's (there are multiple machines,)  are supposed to have the ability to change external appearance as a cloaking device,  and the doctor's has jammed.... the Police box was fine for early 60's London, where the TV series started...   Not script writers having to make up an excuse later at all :whistle: 

On 25/03/2019 at 23:45, Moa said:

So I had to go and buy some jewelry. Darn.

I even tried combining modelling WITH jewellery....

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235002749-150th-female-railway-figures-as-fashion-earrings/

It got a slightly better reaction than yours...    I'm having painful flashback to that Christmas day,  due to a burst of hysteria from one of the teenage 'step daughters'  which may have lessened the reaction.

I'd stayed up really late the night before,  getting onto 6am, intending to sleep till  a reasonable time, say 2 pm,  when the 3 step daughters would have departed to their fathers for his once a year magnificent display of parenthood,  and have a pleasant afternoon...

only to woken at 10.30, by a level of hysteria usually associated by the coming of the mongol hordes, or some haircare disaster, where they would spend an amount of money I could comfortably live on for 2 weeks on something that would again be the cause of some kind of hysterics....

in the case,  it was said SD had bought a new iphone,  but was waiting for Christmas day to start it up ..... and the cause,  "where's the box I left on the sofa SIX WEEKS ago "  it's got the (*&*&%$% SIM card in it... where's the box I left on the sofa SIX WEEKS ago "  it's got the (*&*&%$% SIM card in it..(increase volume and repeat incessantly for full effect, and add some fruiter anglo-saxon expletives for garnish)  . having of course informed her mother of the importance of said empty box and the obviously massive SIM card packaging and it's vital importance to to the future of the world etc.

The histrionics lasted about an hour and a half...., when eventually a call to vodaphone revealed they were there on Christmas day, ad a new SIM was delivered on boxing day...

SD went to dads, Mother went out later,  I had tesco value microwave lasagana for Christmas dinner.  and the peace an quiet of me and the daughter...  so in the end it was OK. Sort of......