Peyret-Mauboussin PMH X, Scratchbuilt 1/72

A build from 2010, nine years ago:

Looking apparently for a niche in the market for economical and affordable single seaters, Mr. Pierre Maubossin designed a plane that was built by Louis Peyret (of Peyret Tandem fame)

The Peyret-Mauboussin PM.X all-wood, ABC Scorpion-powered cute machine was ready in 1929 and had a wingspan of 10 meters. A floatplane version, the PMH.X bis (H for Hydro) was later developed.

A two-seat, beefed-up, slightly bigger machine -the Peyret-Mauboussin PM XI- made a remarkable flight from Paris to Madagascar!

The cantilever long aspect ratio flying surfaces and the short tail moment made the plane look definitely elegant, with slightly awkward although ultimately charming proportions.

The main components were basically built over a rainy weekend, quite small in 1/72 and simple enough to make the building process run smooth.

The all-wood construction of the original and the absence of markings (using as reference one photo that so portrayed the plane) accounted for a relatively easy finishing. For that wood finish color information I am in debt with master scratchbuilder and famous Canadian Cycling Gremlin Alain Bourret.

Mr. Mauboussin went one to produce a notable family of designs, but that’s another story.

Au revoir, mes amis!

(and don't start with "you have to make a beaching trolley for it")

47467610401_b83fb9c22b_c.jpg

32525736337_c078c27ac7_c.jpg

32525736287_d2a07b1fb2_c.jpg

47467610301_6901486df7_c.jpg

32525736207_cc492343f3_c.jpg

47467610251_34129f224a_c.jpg

32525736157_749744eb90_c.jpg

• Like 19

It is amazing how some of these machines made incredible flights yet have largely disappeared into the mists of history. I greatly respect any of the pilots who made these achievemnets in what were by today's standards, pretty basic machines. Another of your gems - but this one is a bit larger than the others!

P

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, pheonix said:

It is amazing how some of these machines made incredible flights yet have largely disappeared into the mists of history. I greatly respect any of the pilots who made these achievemnets in what were by today's standards, pretty basic machines. Another of your gems - but this one is a bit larger than the others!

P

Well, the span is, the rest is still darn small form my eyes!

1 hour ago, Horatio Gruntfuttock said:

Hell's teeth Mr Moa, you do dig up some weirdos! Thanks so much for illuminating the darker recesses of aeronautical history! Another lovely job and your images really tell the story well.

I have many skeletons in my modeling closet, Horatio.

I know you and your friend Hamlet are fond of stroking skulls.

1 hour ago, Moa said:

I have many skeletons in my modeling closet, Horatio.

I know you and your friend Hamlet are fond of stroking skulls.

Ah, poor Yorrick, I did but know him well! 

That's the rarely modelled  Avro Yorrick, of course. 

• Haha 1

Beautiful model of an interesting looking aircraft. Typically French utilitarian looks but with a kind of elegance. Looks to be a pretty advanced wing shape for the time too.

Cheers

Malcolm

• Thanks 1