Finally got around to getting some glue on plastic! Nothing dramatic but it is at least progress, but not starting in the area you might think of, rather than starting with the cockpit I've decided to do things a bit different and start on some of the sub assemblies and the first pic shows that I have added the nose wheel well to the lower fuselage;

47566376121_80f8ce5078_o_d.jpg

Exciting stuff isn't it! Hold tight as there is more to come! I have also added the speed brake inserts to the upper rear fuselage part;

32623903927_cd3cb2ff27_o_d.jpg

They look to be quite nicely detailed and should look good under a coat of paint and fitted nicely into position. Next job was to cut out all the parts for the tail fin and some of them come in two halves so they were glued together, here are the bits laid out;

47566381331_2843bbfdd6_o_d.jpg

The surface detailing does look very good but I'm surprised by the amount of ejector marks there are, which fortunately are all on the inside, have a look at the inside of one of the tail fin halves;

32623907117_0ee31b4423_o_d.jpg

Not sure if you have noticed but one of the pin marks just below the intake at the base of the pin has made a hole in the plastic where it is thin at the leading edge, I've circled it in the picture below;

32623908527_7a1a4cd370_o_d.jpg

Not a massive hole but an unnecessary one, and it is not alone as there seems to be a few other that will need fixing.

I am unsure how to display the finished model ie whether to have her with the lid open as if parked up or on display or to try to get her to look like the one in the picture in my initial post where she is landing with everything hanging out and the nose gear squished as low as it can go, what are your thoughts team?

Well that's it for today as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, trickyrich said:

WOOHOOOOOO Craig's started!!! :yahoo:

You sound just like my manager!

All encouragement greatly received.

I think the fin has been done that way to cater for the various marks of Tonka that Revell are doing, would be nice if they fitted together better though.

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, modelling minion said:

You sound just like my manager!

All encouragement greatly received.

I think the fin has been done that way to cater for the various marks of Tonka that Revell are doing, would be nice if they fitted together better though.

so when do I get my management fees!  :fight:

• Haha 1

Nice to see this one underway. If you are going for the nose-down landing configuration remember to deploy the thrust reverser cans (is that an option in the kit and are they deployed in the photo? I'm asking 'cause I'm too lazy to go and check)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Col. said:

Nice to see this one underway. If you are going for the nose-down landing configuration remember to deploy the thrust reverser cans (is that an option in the kit and are they deployed in the photo? I'm asking 'cause I'm too lazy to go and check)

Hi Col, yes I think I'm going for the landing configuration and yes you have the option of fixing the reverser cans in the deployed position. Of course this will mean I will need to do a base for it that makes it look like it's still moving, I know Coastal Kits do one but I'm cheap and would rather spend my money on more models :) .

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Good to see this one underway Craig. Shame about the ejector pin mark - you do have to wonder about their placement sometimes!! Looking forward to seeing more progress when you get chance.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Compressed landing configuration is a great idea, I don't think I've seen that done before, should be a real eye catcher! Do you have any plans to how you will modify the landing gear? Can't say I'm too envious of working that one out!

David

3 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Good to see this one underway Craig. Shame about the ejector pin mark - you do have to wonder about their placement sometimes!! Looking forward to seeing more progress when you get chance.

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Stix, been concentrating on my KV-107 of late but I am going to try and finish off the tail fin tonight, there is a surprising amount of filler to smooth out.

2 minutes ago, mirageiv said:

Compressed landing configuration is a great idea, I don't think I've seen that done before, should be a real eye catcher! Do you have any plans to how you will modify the landing gear? Can't say I'm too envious of working that one out!

David

Fro what I can see from pictures the most obvious change is to shorten the nose gear which I think I can handle (famous last words!), also got to find some aircrew from somewhere (probably from Hasegawa F-4's) and decide what colour to paint them as I seem to recall that Marineflieger aircrew wore very fetching orange suits which would really stand out in the cockpit.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Fro what I can see from pictures the most obvious change is to shorten the nose gear which I think I can handle (famous last words!), also got to find some aircrew from somewhere (probably from Hasegawa F-4's) and decide what colour to paint them as I seem to recall that Marineflieger aircrew wore very fetching orange suits which would really stand out in the cockpit.

Would you have to extend the rear legs too? Idk just pondering. Yep I'd for sure paint some nice orange flight suits, dayglo/orange goes so well with these grey jets. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mirageiv said:

Would you have to extend the rear legs too? Idk just pondering. Yep I'd for sure paint some nice orange flight suits, dayglo/orange goes so well with these grey jets. 

I will see if I can get the look I want by just shortening the nose gear, if that doesn't work then I will have to look at lengthening the main gear, let's hope not though!

• Like 1

yeah, just shortening the nose gear should be enough, maybe just flatten the nose wheels and leave the mains just slightly flattened. Plus with the thrust reversers in place and the airbrakes deployed it should trick the eye into seeing the stance you're after.

Some thin wall brass or Aluminium tube and plastic rod should do the trick and be strong enough.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well I've finally managed to get some more time in on the Tornado and I've concentrated on the cockpit. The kit comes with decals for all the instruments and I decided to use them, now whilst they are accurate and fit very well they do seem a bit on the thick side but settled down okay, here is what the rear instrument panel looks like;

spacer.png

And the front panel;

spacer.png

And the cockpit tub which just received some detail painting and a wash;

spacer.png

I've also made a start on the seats which needed the molded on harness detail removing as I plan on having them occupied, they are by no means finished but this is how they look at the moment;

spacer.png

spacer.png

You get a nice representation of the LP compressor face of the RB-199's which when fitted will be completely invisible at the end of the intake trunking (which has a nasty and un-cleanable seem line running it's entire length but fortunately will also be invisible) but I painted them anyway;

spacer.png

I'm working on a set of aircrew from a Hasegawa Phantom but before I can get them fitted to the seats I need to know what colour their flight suits were so if anyone knows what colours they were then I would really like to know.

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 7

following this build now makes me a bit excited for the Tonka I have coming!!! :bounce:

I already have a spreadsheet done listing all the bit's I need/want, 11 bits of AM so far!! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, mirageiv said:

Excellent work Craig on the pit, a nice bright crew will really set it off!

Thanks David, you are way too kind as the cockpit is far from my best but then the Tornado cockpit is quite sparse.

I've decided to go with orange lower flight suits with the olive jacket on top and dark green webbing and straps, I will have to make the life vests out of something.

• Like 1