I've built the GR.4 so I know what you are going through! It took quite long time to get it into shape, but it was certainly worth it. Who wouldn't want a 1/48 Tornado in their collection?! Keep going. 

• Like 1

Ohh dear, I think this has just curtailed my search and impending purchase of a gr4, 

I'll just stick with the f3 I have in the stash and use that for the tonka gb, I've got a few racked up on the shame shelf atm,  the eduard mers bomb racks naffed up my intruder, that's back on now though I've bought a hb corsair kit just for its mers😉, and my buddy refuelling pod has just arrived from the USA this week, so it looks like there will be room on the shame shelf for something else soon🙄

I'd say battle on, but I do know how un enjoyable building something that fights you is , especially as you have an eye for fitment detail

• Like 3

20 hours ago, modelling minion said:

A cheap 1/48 TSR. 2! No such thing I'm afraid, wouldn't have a WHIF Marinefleiger example in mind would you?

I completely agree with you about modern modular designed kits, and yes your Viggen is a prime example of this unfortunately as it is an aircraft I would dearly like to add to my collection but don't think I could deal with all the issues at the moment and all the correction sets you need to buy for it. I just wish that manufacturers would go back to how they used to deal with things like this, if it needs a different fuselage then tool a different fuselage.

:D I was more along the lines of grafting the front fuselage of the Tornado on to the TSR. I have both sitting in a big box, have done all the trail fitting and it'll work without too much effort. Just need the free time to start on it.

19 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Im sorry to hear all your troubles Craig, its good to know though. I'm considering one of these for an entry into the Tornado warning STGB. I will definitely stick to 1/72 or 1/144. 

Dennis

or go with the 1/32nd monster like I have, i've read she's an absolute beauty to build....being really big makes it easier on these old tired eyes! :D

19 hours ago, helios16v said:

And I've got an IDF & F.3 in the stash.

Oh well.  I like pain.  Case in point...the Vigi.  Haven't given up on it yet.  😂

...and Rich hasn't scared me off the Viggen either.

Give me time..... Though I would have thought the Vigi would have been scary enough....even I wasn't silly enough to attempt the Trumpeter monster! :door:

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

Give me time..... Though I would have thought the Vigi would have been scary enough....even I wasn't silly enough to attempt the Trumpeter monster! :door:

I think my saving grace right now is my my "good enough" threshold is a lot lower than yours right now.  I'm still learning/re-learning things & techniques so I don't get too bothered if it's not "quite right".  I'm sure someday when my skills develop enough it'll become an issue though.  :waiting:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

You need to start playing with resin models!!! :wicked:

Yeah.....you already got me.  :frantic:

All the fiddly bits to drive me crazy....

46950029214_42334af815_z.jpg

• Like 1

Crew look brilliant Craig and the shoulder badges are super well done. Keep it up please you will get there, you have the skill

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, trickyrich said:

or go with the 1/32nd monster like I have, i've read she's an absolute beauty to build....being really big makes it easier on these old tired eyes! :D

If i did that id have to move into the box, SWMBO wouldn't be to happy. I already have a big storage issue with 1/72 & 1/48 scale stuff. 

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, exdraken said:

Hope you can save it!

The crew looks fantastic.....

Thanks Werner, I'm happy with the crew it's just the rest of the model that lets it down.

17 hours ago, DAG058 said:

I've built the GR.4 so I know what you are going through! It took quite long time to get it into shape, but it was certainly worth it. Who wouldn't want a 1/48 Tornado in their collection?! Keep going. 

Glad to know its not just me then! I really do want a 1/48 Tonka (or three) in the collection but I don't think they will be Revell ones.

9 hours ago, Hewy said:

Ohh dear, I think this has just curtailed my search and impending purchase of a gr4, 

I'll just stick with the f3 I have in the stash and use that for the tonka gb, I've got a few racked up on the shame shelf atm,  the eduard mers bomb racks naffed up my intruder, that's back on now though I've bought a hb corsair kit just for its mers😉, and my buddy refuelling pod has just arrived from the USA this week, so it looks like there will be room on the shame shelf for something else soon🙄

I'd say battle on, but I do know how un enjoyable building something that fights you is , especially as you have an eye for fitment detail

Sure you don't want a GR.4? I have one in the stash :) .

Buying a HB A-7 just for its MER's sounds like an excuse used for SWMBO and will not be accepted on here where we all know better! You do get a lot of whizz bangs and the like with them though which are very useful. I look forward to seeing your finished A-6 soon.

Going to carry on for a bit longer but if I get really cheesed off with it i will just stop, apparently we're supposed to enjoy this hobby you know!

2 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Crew look brilliant Craig and the shoulder badges are super well done. Keep it up please you will get there, you have the skill

You are way too kind my friend,as I said above I will battle on a bit longer.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, trickyrich said:

:D I was more along the lines of grafting the front fuselage of the Tornado on to the TSR. I have both sitting in a big box, have done all the trail fitting and it'll work without too much effort. Just need the free time to start on it.

Now that is different, glad the front end of the Tornado fits well on the back end of a TSR2 because it certainly doesn't fit well to the back end of a Tornado!

• Haha 2

Keep at it Craig  :whip: !   We want a Marineflieger Tornado in the gallery! :lol:

To be fair I haven't had the balls to start any of mine yet as I knew it would be one of those '12 round models' but hoping you make it 'fit', the work so far and landing idea is too good to become a paint mule! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Now that is different, glad the front end of the Tornado fits well on the back end of a TSR2 because it certainly doesn't fit well to the back end of a Tornado!

she may be fighting you but at least you can laugh about it.

Press on there's nothing extra plastic and filler can't fix!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mirageiv said:

Keep at it Craig  :whip: !   We want a Marineflieger Tornado in the gallery! :lol:

To be fair I haven't had the balls to start any of mine yet as I knew it would be one of those '12 round models' but hoping you make it 'fit', the work so far and landing idea is too good to become a paint mule! 

Don't worry David I'm still in the game, for now at least.

I'm currently "enjoying" trying to get the upper fuselage piece in place, got one half to line up (well sort of) but it really throws the other side out. I might take a couple of pics later so we can all have a laugh about it.

I really do want a Marineflieger Tornado, well I guess I must as otherwise I think I would have shelved it earlier, and it will be nice to have two Marineflieger models in the gallery.

16 hours ago, trickyrich said:

she may be fighting you but at least you can laugh about it.

Press on there's nothing extra plastic and filler can't fix!

Pressing on and laughing (albeit maniacally) all the time.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Don't worry David I'm still in the game, for now at least.

I'm currently "enjoying" trying to get the upper fuselage piece in place, got one half to line up (well sort of) but it really throws the other side out. I might take a couple of pics later so we can all have a laugh about it.

I really do want a Marineflieger Tornado, well I guess I must as otherwise I think I would have shelved it earlier, and it will be nice to have two Marineflieger models in the gallery.

Pressing on and laughing (albeit maniacally) all the time.

Yes please do show what areas are causing the trouble if you can, at least we can see what is in store for us. You could also have a slightly dodgy kit, the fit reputation isn't amazing and having one that is on the poorer side of the quality tolerance may be contributing to making it a real PITA. The Hasegawa Starfighter I'm doing atm (well Eduard rebox) seems to be much poorer fit wise than the other Hasegawa F-104s I've built for whatever reason also, having to fill every join this time! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mirageiv said:

Yes please do show what areas are causing the trouble if you can, at least we can see what is in store for us. You could also have a slightly dodgy kit, the fit reputation isn't amazing and having one that is on the poorer side of the quality tolerance may be contributing to making it a real PITA. The Hasegawa Starfighter I'm doing atm (well Eduard rebox) seems to be much poorer fit wise than the other Hasegawa F-104s I've built for whatever reason also, having to fill every join this time! 

Yes I may well have a "Friday afternoon" kit, either that or the quality inspectors Labrador had the day  off.

Very surprised that you are needing filler on the F-104, though the molds are nearly 20 years old now (thats frightening isn't it!).

Will get some pics up later mate. 

• Like 2

Well here she is in all her glory, lets start with an overview shot of her in the current state of play;

spacer.png

"Doesn't look too bad" I hear you say, well note that the pilot has decided to eject, now lets have a closer look at why he made that wise decision. We will start with the port intake area;

spacer.png

After a fair amount of clamping and supergluing it looks like that, but note that there is quite a large area where there is no longer any engraved detail where the intake piece joins the fuselage. I also have yet to fill the gaps where the upper fuselage piece has fitted, not shown very clearly here is the gap on each side of the top of the intake to the sides, more detail is going to be lost there. Lets move on to the back of the fuselage;

spacer.png

Note the almost continuous line of green filler at the lower joint and corresponding lack of detail again due to sanding, the other side is even worse. The resin insert for the wing fold seal fits very well after being cleaned up and looks much better than the kit offering, the upper gap here isn't actually too bad. lets have a look at the underneath of the intakes;

spacer.png

This is after superglue and plastic and then green filler and a LOT of sanding, there is virtually no surface detailing left at all. And have a look at the inside upper piece of the intake, that should be flat, the fit on other side is so bad that I have had to remove the molded on inner piece just so that I will stand a chance, you can see it (or rather not) in the pic below;

spacer.png

No doubt you have also noticed the small gap on the right as well, well here it is from above;

spacer.png

Oh well at least the rear can't be that bad, right?

spacer.png

Wrong! Oh so wrong!

I am leaving it for a couple of hours so the glue has properly set on the port side before I start the fettling/clamping/gluing/swearing process for this side. You can see some of the very nice surface detailing Revell have done on the wing above but unfortunately because of the terrible fit of the fuselage parts a lot of it is lost through sanding and filling in those areas which is a real shame. I wish Tamiya would do one of these, yes I know it would cost more money but it would be a much better modelling experience and lets face it cost hasn't put anybody off buying their Tomcats, me included.

Thats it for today so as usual thanks for looking in and all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

You'll be practiced up for a go at the Trumpy Vigi.  :tomato:

I feel your pain.  Just work it a piece at a time.  Baby steps.  My progress on the Vigi has been much the same.  Fit up an area the best I can, glue it, fill it, sand it, rescribe details, and move on to the next area.  It's definitely not a quick procedure and can certainly be frustrating if one was expecting a build to only take a couple weeks from box to decals.

I'll definitely have to remember to do a bit of dry fitting when I get to mine...I wonder if the lower fuselage is warped (splayed out).  I'm almost tempted to open one up and tape the fuselage bits together to see how it aligns.

• Like 2

That looks fun! Almost like the fuselage pieces are different scales...as you say maybe brute force is the way to go here. I can only offer one bit of advice that has helped me a lot when heavy sanding is required, before going at it, deepen all the existing panel lines with scribers/needles quite a lot so as you sand they still remain, then deepen then again if more sanding is required. This works really quite well I've found so in the end there is only a little bit of correction needed here and there and not an awkward scribing job involving lots of odd little panels and rivet details.  Despite the gaps it is looking very nice though! 

• Like 1

you now what, if I didn't know any better I'd think either the lower fuselage may have been very slightly warped, not by much but enough to throw the whole fit out.

Every things place seems to be determined by that lower fuselage section (reading the instructions), so if that's not 100% it'll throw everything off, and this looks like a model that needs everything aligned perfectly for it to fit correctly.

Or...

Actually I've just re-read them again, that lower intake ducting and its position is the key I think, any issues there and it'll be magnified further on. I've just had a look at my 1/32nd version and the instructions for the 1/72nd version. Neither has this intake ducting and added side fuselage bits, just a nice big simple lower fuselage tub (like most other swinging models have). Looks like Revell tried to be a bit clever with this and in the process shot themselves in the foot/head!! I reckon any of those bits in that rear section of the fuselage not 110% perfectly fitted with stuff you up. A nasty little trap for the unwary......bet you reviewers don't mention this!

I built ZM's 1/32nd Ta-152 is another model that if you didn't have the fit perfect, 100% or better then it was pure :poop: to build...and it was!!!

Unfortunately I think you're just going to have to clamp sections at a time and super glue the buggers into submission! It won't be pretty but with enough cursing and swearing (add alcohol if needed) it can be beaten into submission...

....else the forward fuselage/cockpit looks all ok....just chop it off and stick it on the front of a TSR.2 and problem solved! :D

• Like 1