Well after nearly as much indecision and prevaricating as the Brexit debate (no I'm NOT getting involved!) I have finally decided to join in with a subject which is very much in the spotlight at the moment, albeit for the worst possible reason (it's retirement) I have decided to go with a Panavia Tornado using the recent 1/48 Revell IDS kit, so here are the usual pics of the box and it's contents starting with the box top of Revell's God awful end opening effort;

47413478012_6787b29867_o_d.jpg

Nice box art, now for the actual plastic showing that all the parts are neatly wrapped in their original packaging;

33589844358_2a42f6a69c_o_d.jpg

32524587917_f432eb2e32_o_d.jpg

Revell's decal sheet is very well printed and looks to be of excellent quality but I really wish they would stop with the special schemes and give us some good old fashioned politically incorrect front line aircraft in their proper warpaint.

When I opened the box I got a nice surprise in the form of a separate plastic bag put into the box (no doubt by it's original owner as I bought it second hand) which contained these resin goodies which should help with the build;

47466489091_947572565f_o_d.jpg

All very nice I hear you say but how does this tie in with the criteria of this GB? Well maybe these next pictures will help alleviate your fears.....

47413483532_227e1bb7b0_o_d.jpg

Nice decals you say, I hope so as some of them are nearly as old as me but hopefully work better, but your'e still not completely convinced, well how about these whizz bangs to hang under the Tonka?

47413484612_d559f7d5a5_o_d.jpg

Getting better? And yes they are a set of wing seals by one of our very clever members, but if you still haven't pieced everything together yet then here she comes!!!!!

47413485772_55b293e87e_o_d.jpg

Oh Yes!! Isn't she a thing of beauty! A Marineflieger IDS of MFG 1 in the original delivery scheme, stick a couple of Kormorans under the belly of the beast and you have the best Baltic Bolshevik botherer ever! Well that's my opinion any way.

And just in case my MFG 1 decals go terribly wrong then I have some slightly more modern ones for MFG 2 in the 3 colour scheme that they wore and carried HARM missiles for killing radars making them SEAD aircraft, as is this Italian ECR which I also have decals for;

47413487412_f0f10f27d1_o_d.jpg

Well hopefully she meets with the approval of our glorious leader @trickyrich and I shall make a start later this week.

Thanks for looking in and all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 16

Ooh lovely! Always loved the initial Marinefliger scheme the Tornado wore and hanging a couple of f-off big missiles under just serves to make it even cooler :wub: 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Col. said:

Ooh lovely! Always loved the initial Marinefliger scheme the Tornado wore and hanging a couple of f-off big missiles under just serves to make it even cooler :wub: 

Thanks Col, there really is something about the scheme isn't there, and yes a pair of f-off big ship killing missiles does make it even better.

welcome along Graig...........about time you showed up!!! Thought I'd have to go looking for you again.:fight:

very nice choice and as you say very much a hot topic now. The Marinefliger with big FO missiles is the only way to go, nice extras with her as well. 

I'm really interested in this build as the Tornado is the last aircraft I need to complete my "Swing Wing" collection, as I have everything else. I did pose a question in another thread about which is the best 1/48th Tornado model...no replies. If and when I do one it'll be a Luftwaffe one in Tiger Meet scheme.

Well good luck with the build, I'll be paying extra attention to this build (no pressure :D) and look forward to seeing her completed.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, modelling minion said:

I really wish they would stop with the special schemes and give us some good old fashioned politically incorrect front line aircraft in their proper warpaint.

Nice choice Craig... i couldn't agree with you more on that statement. I like the plain jane markings immensely more than the show birds, CAG planes, display teams, or Tigermeet markings. That says a lot as im a big fan of tigerstripe camouflage. Nothing against those that like stuff like that, it just isnt my thing. 

Dennis 

• Like 1

Looks like a lovely project and i agree with the decals.

I have got me decals from HaHen for a future Tornado Marineflieger Project.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, trickyrich said:

welcome along Graig...........about time you showed up!!! Thought I'd have to go looking for you again.:fight:

very nice choice and as you say very much a hot topic now. The Marinefliger with big FO missiles is the only way to go, nice extras with her as well. 

I'm really interested in this build as the Tornado is the last aircraft I need to complete my "Swing Wing" collection, as I have everything else. I did pose a question in another thread about which is the best 1/48th Tornado model...no replies. If and when I do one it'll be a Luftwaffe one in Tiger Meet scheme.

Well good luck with the build, I'll be paying extra attention to this build (no pressure :D) and look forward to seeing her completed.

My apologies for being late o illustrious leader, I shall try not to let it happen again :sorry:.

I can't help with which 1/48 kit is the best as this is my first 1/48 Tornado but I shall be honest in how I find it to build. For some reason I feel like a large magnifying glass of antipodean extract is hovering over my shoulder!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Christer A said:

A big Tonka with a pair of big poke a hole in a ship missiles? Yes please!

giphy.gif

Is that a resin lower fin piece by the way?

Any idea of what it's good for?

Thanks Christer, yes it is a resin lower fin piece, I think it is designed to correct an error in the Italeri kit so I don't plan on using it on this build.

12 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Nice choice Craig... i couldn't agree with you more on that statement. I like the plain jane markings immensely more than the show birds, CAG planes, display teams, or Tigermeet markings. That says a lot as im a big fan of tigerstripe camouflage. Nothing against those that like stuff like that, it just isnt my thing. 

Dennis 

Cheers Dennis, it used to be that you had to pay for aftermarket decals for special schemes but now its the other way around.

I really think that decal manufacturers are missing out on a large market for early Tornado markings which would include the likes of my Marineflieger example and also early Italian ones with large three colour roundels, and one or 2 in the MRCA prototype markings would be nice too.

10 hours ago, BerndM said:

Looks like a lovely project and i agree with the decals.

I have got me decals from HaHen for a future Tornado Marineflieger Project.

Cheers Bernd, I have heard mixed reviews on the HaHen decals as some of their stencils and markings are out of register with their white backing, but hopefully yours will be okay. I have my fingers crossed that my ancient ESCI  decals behave themselves!

13 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

Brilliant, signed up to follow before reading the detail, looking forward to this big time! 

Thanks Val, hopefully my build will not be a disappointment to you.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mirageiv said:

What a choice, hugely looking forward to watching this one Craig! 

:popcorn:

David

Hi David, how are you? Not heard from you in a while.

Not sure if having you along watching me attempt to build a half decent Tornado is a good thing or not, you know far too much about them! ;) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, modelling minion said:

Hi David, how are you? Not heard from you in a while.

Not sure if having you along watching me attempt to build a half decent Tornado is a good thing or not, you know far too much about them! ;) 

I'm just fine mate thank you, hope you are well also! (At least modelling wise everything looks good from here! :)

I'm sure many on here have forgot more than I've ever known but I'm happy to help on anything I can if needed! I have the same build planned one day in the silly scale (1/32) but also a few other marks using the Revell 1/48 kits so this will be a great thread for me in many ways. I've read the Revell kit can be a bit of a pig (no first hand experience though) but I'm sure you will set it straight one way or another ^_^

• Like 1

To be true the decals look quite good on the paper but they were not a real help to bring this project on the bench.

Good luck with your decals.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mirageiv said:

I'm just fine mate thank you, hope you are well also! (At least modelling wise everything looks good from here! :)

I'm sure many on here have forgot more than I've ever known but I'm happy to help on anything I can if needed! I have the same build planned one day in the silly scale (1/32) but also a few other marks using the Revell 1/48 kits so this will be a great thread for me in many ways. I've read the Revell kit can be a bit of a pig (no first hand experience though) but I'm sure you will set it straight one way or another ^_^

Thanks David, I've heard "interesting" things about the fit of the Revell kit but I will  give it my best efforts. I would love to see you do one of these in 1/32!

9 hours ago, BerndM said:

To be true the decals look quite good on the paper but they were not a real help to bring this project on the bench.

Good luck with your decals.

Thanks Bernd, I think I will need luck with the decals, I shall try some that I won't use before needing the ones I want for my scheme.

• Like 1

Nice choice of markings! 😍

Good luck building the Revell kit. A friend of mine has done in the order of the designer who painted the real 46+20 of MFG 2 Eggebek. I remember that my friend was not very satisfied during the build and was a bit disapointed about the quality for a new designed kit.

I´ve designed the decals for him and luckily I was able to took several pictures of the real Tornado during the last Spotterday at Eggebek in 2003, because there are no drawings of the real design existing. Because the paint job was done "scratch" by hand and with rattle cans.

Printed with Roland printer on continuously A4 decalfilm by a company here in Germany. The print quality was outstandig and looks like Cartograf on the sheet.

At the end my friend and the designer was very happy with the result.

If you have any questions about the markings of the Marine Tornados just ask. I am really shure that I am able to help.

To inspire you there are two pictures attached during construction. 🙂

5a31f3-1553816068.jpg

ddb45f-1553816475.jpg

Kind regards,

Jürgen

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Jurgen, I am sure I will be asking questions before too long!

Those decals look superb, I can understand why your friend was happy with them, you really did a great job on their design.

I have heard that the Revell kit can be a bit of a challenge to build, I plan on doing a lot of trial building before I put glue to plastic.

Craig.

• Like 2

This looks like it's going to be another great build Craig! Always loved the look of the Tornados! I like the extras you've got for it too.

Anytime you're ready...... :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Patience my friend, I hope to be able to make a start this weekend when I've got a bit more done on my KV-107, I also signed up for the Patton Tank STGB so need to start that one too! I really do need to give up work so I can spend more time building models!

Time management Craig, time management, no watching emerdale, corrie or eastenders, you seem to get loads more done by 9-00 lights out, unless your on shifts and  then leave out  Jeremy Kyle 🤪,  I  await patiently

• Haha 2