Badger's 1/72 Revell / MR Modellbau M60 - Completed!

badger

12 hours ago, Silenoz said:

looks good, as I recall there's a diameter difference, in which the resin wheels are smaller then the kit wheels. when making the tracks, sand the bottom flat.

Cheers Silenoz

Luckily my wheels seem to be ok size wise. Sadly they are more than a little out of round which I've tried to correct as best I can but some strategic mud may be called for.

7 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Excellent progress again Ben and that resin turret looks to be beautifully textured - especially considering it's 1/72! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix

The turret is a very nice bit of casting and does have a great texture.

6 hours ago, Hewy said:

I agree the turret does look good, will you be doing a little scene for it too Ben? 

There will be a little diorama with a German road and some groundwork.

Tonight's progress has been mainly focussed around the roadwheels. These have been a pain in the rear as the tyres are sadly out of round and despite my best efforts they still look a bit of a mess.

IMG_20190415_230757

Hopefully some paintwork, strategic mud and groundwork will hide the worst of it.

I've also fitted the turret basket which required copious amounts of carving and some hot water to get it to fit neatly.

IMG_20190415_230745

I've also fitted the shock absorbers and a few other smaller bits.

More soon

All the best

Ben

• Like 4

Curses - consulting the references it appears that there are a few differences in the lower hull that the MR Modellbau instructions don't mention.

I'll have a proper look later but the main one is the deletion of the second shock absorber.

Note to self - ALWAYS CHECK PHOTOS!

All the best

Ben

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Well I've managed to get an hour on this so far.

After consulting my references it appears there are 3 amendments to make to the lower hull, which are not mentioned in the conversion set instructions and I'd completely missed when building the lower hull.

The first of these was to remove the second shock absorber and it's mount. This was relatively easy.

I then had to remove the two lifting eyes each side, again fairly easy.

The final amendment was to remove the front return roller and mount to move it back 6mm as these were equally spaced on the M60.

IMG_20190416_170617

This has now all been done ready to start the rebuild. Sadly I had to remove the front two road wheels and arms on each side to access the area I needed to work in.

I've also removed the periscope from the drivers hatch to replace this with the earlier style.

IMG_20190416_173354

All in all, a frustrating session!

All the best

Ben

• Like 4

That's one side done. Return roller has been moved back 6mm and the shock absorber removed.

2019-04-16_08-14-12

Lifting eyes have also been removed and need replacing with vertical ones which I'll have to hunt in the spares box for when I get home.

All the best

Ben

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

nice surgery ben, the eye is very much in the details

Cheers Hewy

I enjoy this kind of modelling, and had I not corrected it, then I would never be entirely happy with it.

All the best

Ben

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Great to see more progress Ben and your attention to the details is shining through again. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Stix

Sadly work has been manic the last couple of days and I've been too worn out to pick this up, as I need to sort the fenders next.

Might try and get back to it over the weekend.

All the best

Ben

On 17/04/2019 at 09:29, BerndM said:

Good work in the small scale.

Thanks Bernd

Much appreciated.

• Like 2

On 15/04/2019 at 23:15, badger said:

Hopefully some paintwork, strategic mud and groundwork will hide the worst of it.

Can't beat a bit of strategic mud, what would we do without pigments lol

You surely must have fingers like tweezers, my poor old eyes could barely see a kit this size, let alone build one, great job so far

• Like 1

On 01/05/2019 at 21:20, Hubba said:

Can't beat a bit of strategic mud, what would we do without pigments lol

You surely must have fingers like tweezers, my poor old eyes could barely see a kit this size, let alone build one, great job so far

Many thanks. Not sure about the fingers like tweezers, but I do have a selection of different tweezers I use 🤣

Sadly work has taken me away from this the last couple of weeks. Hopefully I can get back to it over the weekend.

I'm stalled on the mudguards as I've got it in my head these are going to be a problem.

Just need to pull the mojo out from behind the sofa, give it a stiff talking to and crack on!

All the best

Ben

• Like 2

And I'm back!! 

Managed an hour on this tonight, and after a slow start, managed to sort out one side of the fenders.

I cut a section of plastic card and gradually trimmed it little by little until it fit the gap. Once it was glued in and dry, I added the resin early pattern air cleaner.

IMG_20190505_221350

A smear of filler was then added to blend the new plastic card section into the existing fender - this still needs cleaning up

IMG_20190505_223400

Happy that's sorted as it was a major stumbling block - now I know how to do it, the other side should be ok.

Once I've done that I need to sort the gun barrel - there's something very wrong with the turned metal, multi part, one provided as it doesn't fit the pre-drilled hole in the turret!

All the best

Ben

• Like 5

Hi Ben. Great to see you are back onto this project. Great to see you managed to sort out this sides issue too. Your fix fix looks great! Hope you manage to get the other side and the barrel issue sorted too! 🤞

Kind regards,

Stix

On 11/05/2019 at 00:42, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Ben... just letting everyone know we’re halfway through the build. 

Dennis

Thanks Dennis.

Spurred on by the message above I have done lots on the M60 tonight, but photos will have to wait as it's very late here.

All the best

Ben

• Like 2

7 hours ago, badger said:

Thanks Dennis.

Spurred on by the message above I have done lots on the M60 tonight, but photos will have to wait as it's very late here.

All the best

Ben

I'm looking forward to the update Ben :popcorn:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BIG X said:

I'm looking forward to the update Ben :popcorn:

Thanks Steve,

A major session last night has seen the M60 almost built.

I had a number of challenges remaining at the start.

First up was to add the second section of fender from plastic card. This was much easier having already done one side and didn't take long.

IMG_20190512_005653

On a bit of a roll after that, I replaced the drivers periscope with an earlier pattern one trimmed from a scrap Pershing.

IMG_20190512_005700

Once this was done I decided to tackle the gun. This was a nightmare!

The conversion set supplies an early main gun barrel in 3 pieces of turned metal and a resin fume extractor.

All very nice apart from the mounting points in the metal bits were larger than the holes in both the fume extractor and the mantlet.

Drilling them out with a 2mm bit solved that but it took a long time to get all the sections lined up and straight. Still not entirely convinced it's perfect but it will have to do.

IMG_20190512_005629

I then set to adding the searchlight. This took a bit of faffing to get attached, not helped by the total lack of instructions for the resin set (I bought it second hand so not sure if it ever had any).

Eventually I realised it is "very similar" to the esci M48 one which I have built, so using this as a guide I managed to get it fitted.

IMG_20190512_005642

I then did a bit attaching various small parts and started cleaning up a commander figure (this time from Elheim Figures as they do an excellent range of cold war subjects).

That's it for now but happy with that progress.

All the best

Ben

Edited by badger
  • Like 4

On 12/05/2019 at 21:28, PlaStix said:

Good progress Ben. It's looking really impressive.

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Stix.

Hope to get the last few bits done this week ready for primer.

Have started the base but not worth a photo yet

All the best

Ben

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well an update has been a long time coming on this build as I have been seriously struggling to find the enthusiasm to pick this back up.

However I've pushed on tonight and have finished the building stage! It's now ready for primer.

IMG_20190528_005104

Tonight has been a slightly frustrating session spent adding the final small details.

I've wired the searchlight to the turret roof, added the other stowage rail, finished the fuel can, attached the mg barrel and made some towing ropes.

IMG_20190528_005111

An effort was put into creating new rails for the side of the searchlight, using a trumpeter grab handle tool I had for Christmas.

I've then made a bracket to the side of the loaders hatch and attached some bits of etch to finish off the tank.

IMG_20190528_005119

Pretty pleased to have got this to this stage as it's been a bit of chore and by no means the easiest build.

More soon

All the best

Ben

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Sorry to hear the mojo for this is lacking. Now that your getting to the painting stage, it should move a bit quicker. 

Many thanks

I hope so too - this is a build I've been wanting to do for a few years.

The conversion kit, whilst looking good, has thrown up a fair few issues which have just sapped my enthusiasm somewhat.

At least the paint scheme is nice and simple - all over OD!

All the best

Ben

• Like 2