Badger's 1/72 Revell / MR Modellbau M60 - Completed!

badger

Evening all

And as the dust settles on the Panzer IV GB I can look forward to this one.

After a bit of indecision I am going to be backdating a 1/72 Revell M60A3 into the original M60 via a resin conversion kit that provides a new turret, wheels, tracks and various bits and pieces.

I originally bought the conversion set to use on an old Esci kit but was lucky enough to get a box of part started kits off ebay that contained an M60A3 hull (plus an untouched M60A1 and the DUKW that will be in my D-Day GB).

As the Revell kit is far nicer (and more in scale), and it was missing a turret I will be using it for this build.

There's a little of work been done on it (badly), but way under the 25% rule. I will probably have to detach the upper hull sides anyway as they are not on level and flush.

2019-03-02_03-53-192019-03-02_04-03-02

More at the weekend.

All the best

Ben

Edited by badger
  • Like 6

Sounds like a great idea for a project Ben and I'm sure it will be a fascinating build. As Glynn said - that turret does look amazing. I will be interested to see how well the resin tracks go together though. :hmmm:Hopefully they will look excellent!

Are you thinking of doing a base for this one too?

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

Sure to be a beauty Ben that turret looks amazingly detailed

Cheers Hewy

It is a lovely casting but I will probably replace the stowage rails as they are rather flashed up

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

Sounds like a great idea for a project Ben and I'm sure it will be a fascinating build. As Glynn said - that turret does look amazing. I will be interested to see how well the resin tracks go together though. :hmmm:Hopefully they will look excellent!

Are you thinking of doing a base for this one too?

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Stix.

The casting does look very good. I am a little worried about the tracks but at first glance they seem to be just like plastic link and length so fingers crossed they work ok.

It will be on a base but no water this time!! I plan on having it based in Germany so have an idea for a fairly simple base that should work well.

36 minutes ago, Plasto said:

Looks good have fun...

Cheers Plasto - I rather enjoy this type of modelling if I'm honest.

Just realised I got the wrong manufacturer for the resin set -  it is MR Modellbau -  title now corrected, although Modeltrans do make an M60 conversion as well.

All the best

Ben 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Ben ... I am looking forward to this build as i am to all of them. Really liking the A/M set & that Turret is quite nice. I don't see to much of an issue as far as the 25% goes. I’d say you're definitely under that. 

Dennis

Cheers Dennis

Been doing a little research over lunch and there's a couple of bits I'll need to scratch build but am looking forward to this a lot.

Glad it's under the 25% as have been wanting to build this for a while

All the best

Ben

• Like 1

Enjoy this one... I think you'll have to sand down the track detail (not the grousers) from the upper tracks to make them fit. the detail is added as I remember and doesn't fit between the return rollers and the fenders. Also check the diameters of the wheels. There was a difference in diameter between the inner and outer ones.

18 hours ago, badger said:

It will be on a base but no water this time!! I plan on having it based in Germany so have an idea for a fairly simple base that should work well.

Hi Ben. I'm really pleased you are planning on doing a base and I don't blame you for not including the water this time!!

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Silenoz said:

Enjoy this one... I think you'll have to sand down the track detail (not the grousers) from the upper tracks to make them fit. the detail is added as I remember and doesn't fit between the return rollers and the fenders. Also check the diameters of the wheels. There was a difference in diameter between the inner and outer ones.

Many thanks for this - useful tips to remember. I take it you've built this conversion yourself?

I've picked up on a few bits already - the infantry phone box on the rear fender needs changing to an earlier version for a start.

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Ben. I'm really pleased you are planning on doing a base and I don't blame you for not including the water this time!!

Kind regards,

Stix 

Cheers Stix.

I base all my builds as I really enjoy the groundwork aspect of modelling. This one will be fairly simple and involve a section of tarmac road and some German traffic signs!

All the best

Ben

• Like 3

On 25/03/2019 at 22:23, badger said:

will be on a base but no water this time

"god " me neither after I scolded my self and melted the rocks, I'm getting some different water effects for next time that you don't have to heat up to 160% 🙄

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On ‎26‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 20:50, Silenoz said:

No, haven't built this particular conversion, but ordered the tracks separarely for a Magach conversion.Think I ended using the kit tracks on top eventually.

Thanks for that - will dry fit to check.

On ‎27‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 06:05, Hewy said:

"god " me neither after I scolded my self and melted the rocks, I'm getting some different water effects for next time that you don't have to heat up to 160% 🙄

Hope the injuries have healed - I'm keeping it nice and simple this time.

No progress just yet as finishing a Sherman build off first as I want to avoid it ending up on the shelf of shame.

All the best

Ben

• Like 2

1 hour ago, badger said:

No progress just yet as finishing a Sherman build off first as I want to avoid it ending up on the shelf of shame.

😛I can't put anything on the shelf of shame, as its full, no room, I've even got boxes of shame😔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Morning all,

Time to rescue this thread before it falls any further down the page.

I've been busy clearing up a couple of other builds and now these are done I can get back to this.

I'm away for a few days so brought the Patton with me to get a bit done on it.

First task was to remove the late pattern air cleaners as the resin set provides new ones. This was harder than I expected and resulted in me cutting away a rectangle of fender which I'll replace with plastic card when I'm back home. 

This way the new parts will sit correctly.

IMG_20190412_203740IMG_20190412_210248

I then had a play with the lower hull which had been assembled badly, the main issues issue being the idler mounts being on upside down which prevented the hull fitting together.

IMG_20190412_194831

This was corrected, and the upper hull sides removed and refitted correctly. The gap has now been filled ready for sanding later.

IMG_20190412_220644

The road wheels arms have also been fitted.

IMG_20190412_220628

I've also removed the rails from the turret sides and will replace with wire later.

More soon

All the best

Ben

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Small tank big details, nice going ben

Many thanks Hewy

Not been paying this build the attention it deserves recently, so hopefully I can get cracking with it now.

All the best

Ben

• Like 2

Im really liking the work so far, this should look very good when shes all painted up. You had plenty of time, i didn't think you were ignoring the build. Besides who here doesn't have multiple projects going on. Im at five myself currently and juggling them like i was a mad clown. 

Dennis

• Thanks 1

Evening all

Thanks to those that have looked in on my build.

Cheers for the comments @PlaStix and @Corsairfoxfouruncle - enjoying this build now.

Some good progress tonight. The lower hull has had the filler sanded down. Upper hull has then been attached and whilst this was drying I cleaned up the resin turret and sub turret so once the hull was dry I attached these.

IMG_20190414_225414

I then cleaned up and added all the inner road wheels as I use the kit ones with this conversion.

I have added the first of the resin outer wheels tonight but they are taking a while to clean up. 

IMG_20190414_225403

Lots more still to do but happy with it so far.

All the best

Ben

• Like 5

Excellent progress again Ben and that resin turret looks to be beautifully textured - especially considering it's 1/72! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1