Badger's 1/72 Revell / MR Modellbau M60 - Completed!

badger

Hi Ben. I'm glad you have managed to get the building stages completed but sorry to read it's been a bit of a chore. I hope you have mre fun with the painting and weathering stages.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

Thanks Stix

Not sure why but not really been feeling "it" with this build. Started off ok, but I think the endless issues have sapped my enthusiasm sadly.

However - progress!!

In between the rain yesterday I managed to prime the Patton, then got a quick coat of OD on it (Tamiya TS5). It's had another coat this morning and just needs a last touchup.

IMG_20190529_095006

Last night I worked on the base. This has had the edges painted and varnished then a piece of wet and dry stuck on to represent tarmac. I then added the groundwork with my usual cheap readymix filler, textured with shot blasting powder and sand.

IMG_20190529_095027

This should be dry by tonight, so I can start painting it.

More soon

All the best

Ben

• Like 4

Hi Ben - That OD makes a hell of a lot of difference - marries it all up - looking good.

Liking the base too - must remember that one - 'sandpaper for tarmac' - makes a lot of sense.

If this is a mojo down period - you should be proud of such brilliant results.

Catch you later - Steve

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Hi Ben - That OD makes a hell of a lot of difference - marries it all up - looking good.

Liking the base too - must remember that one - 'sandpaper for tarmac' - makes a lot of sense.

If this is a mojo down period - you should be proud of such brilliant results.

Catch you later - Steve

Thanks Steve

Pretty pleased with the OD - the rattle can dries to a slight sheen which is actually quite accurate for the postwar period :nerd:

I had some self adhesive roadway I was going to use (model railway product), but it must have gotten damp as when I took it out of the packet it was mouldy and crumbling. I suddenly had a flash of inspiration and used the wet and dry, although it will be weathered a tad to age it.

Slowly getting back into it - not been feeling too well the last week or so which hasn't helped as I've generally been too tired to summon the enthusiasm to tackle the remaining challenges on this build. Pleased I've managed to push on with it though as I've got the Ferdinand and a DUKW for the up and coming D-Day GB to do as well :frantic:

All the best

Ben

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Mojo loss and all You have still done a wonderful job on your M60. You should be happy with the results. Im happy you're going to finish this, but sorry you've lost your enthusiasm/mojo for the build. 

Dennis

Hi Dennis

Thanks for the kind comments - much appreciated. Hopefully the mojo is back now there's paint on and the construction is complete.

41 minutes ago, Hewy said:

I agree with Dennis, mojo dip apart, it's looking smashing ben

Cheers Hewy.

Fingers crossed I'm out of the dip and on the way back to the top.

More later.

All the best

Ben

• Like 2

Tonight's progress

To start with I decided to mask the road to paint some white lines.

This didn't go well as the paint ran under the masking and made a right mess.

IMG_20190529_214103

To this end I've had to paint the road, whereas I was planning on leaving it as the wet & dry. It has killed the slightly out of scale sparkle so probably not a bad thing.

The paint is still wet here, hence the shine. When dry it will be matt varnished and I'll remask and airbrush the lines.

IMG_20190529_220423

I've painted the soil areas with an earth brown and drilled a hole which has had a section of brass rod inserted to become a sign post.

I couldn't resist a mock up. The road sign is correct for the time period - thanks Wikipedia! I really wanted something to visually set this in Germany, hence the particular sign chosen.

IMG_20190529_220846

More tomorrow (hopefully I can finish spraying the OD on the tank).

All the best

Ben

• Like 3

Despite the road marking adventure it looks very promising - it has a good degree of 'movement' - i.e. it looks like it is 'moving'

nice wok mate

PS - loving the HALT sign.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, BIG X said:

Despite the road marking adventure it looks very promising - it has a good degree of 'movement' - i.e. it looks like it is 'moving'

nice wok mate

PS - loving the HALT sign.

Thanks mate - think I'm getting back into this build!

On holiday for a couple of days so I managed to nip out and touch up the OD paint first thing while the sun was out.

After leaving it to dry for a couple of hours, I've just been busy decaling it.

As I don't have the correct markings, I've had to piece them together from a variety of other sheets. Currently there are 19 decals on this and 4 more to go on!!

2019-05-30_01-02-08

All the numbers and bumper codes are individual characters which was a tad "interesting" to apply! I even had to split two bridging discs to get the required "52".

2019-05-30_01-08-20

The little bit of silvering should disappear with more micro sol.

Off for lunch to let this dry before I apply the final decals.

All the best

Ben

• Like 3

More progress tonight.

The decaling has been finished - 23 in total. I think that's a new record for a 1/72 tank!!

IMG_20190530_231653

I've then cracked on for a couple of hours and painted all the stowage, canvases, mg barrel and tow cables.

IMG_20190530_231701

There's a few bits left to do, such as the sights around the cupola and tyres, then I can apply a wash or two and start the weathering.

IMG_20190530_231640

I've also masked the base up ready to airbrush the white.

IMG_20190530_231713

More soon as I've rather enjoyed this today.

All the best

Ben

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Well done .. The markings look crisp and clear. This should look real good when the base is done. Im looking forward to seeing it all together.  

Thanks Dennis

Weathering will be fairly minimal on this as they were very well maintained from the photos I have.

Still got the tracks to tackle which I'm not particularly looking forward to.

All the best

Ben

• Like 2

Much happier with this

2019-05-31_08-50-40

Will let it fully dry then I can start the weathering ready for foliage.

All the best

Ben

• Like 4

Last update for today.

The soil has been washed and highlighted, and the tarmac has had a much thinned down coat of same wash before being highlighted to fade and age it.

Doesn't show up great in the photo, but it's much more noticeable in  reality.

2019-05-31_11-07-08

I've then started adding the larger clumps of vegetation before playing with the static grass machine tomorrow.

2019-05-31_11-48-40

Finally I couldn't resist adding the sign

2019-05-31_11-48-19

More soon

All the best

Ben

• Like 4

Time for tonights / this mornings update.

I've all but finished the base. Just a couple of touch ups and a name plate and its done.

2019-06-02_12-55-16

2019-06-02_12-59-13

The Patton has had the last few bits painted (road wheels, headlights, etc) and I've just applied a thin black wash (still wet in the photo).

2019-06-02_12-56-42

Finally I've cleaned up the resin tracks and have thinned these a bit by wet sanding (keeps the resin dust down) the treads. Hopefully they will then fit under the fenders better.

These have then been taped to a piece of wood for primering later.

2019-06-02_01-00-27

All the best

Ben

• Like 4

Small amount of progress tonight.

I've sprayed the tracks black earlier in the day and have been busy painting in the metal sections tonight.

I've managed to get a few sections on (more since this photo), which proves the time spent sanding the treads down was worth it as they fit nicely under the fenders now.

2019-06-02_10-32-36

There's only a couple of gaps that will need filling with mud, which considering the slightly rough nature of the resin casting I'm surprised there isn't more.

All the best

Ben

Edited by badger
  • Like 3

Excellent progress Ben. Your M60 and your base are looking superb. Looks like another few hours should have this impressive project completed! :clap2:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

Cheers Stix

An hour tonight has seen the first side of the tracks completed.

So long as a bit of care is taken they actually go on fairly well.

I've started the second side so hopefully should get that done over the next couple of nights.

Then the tank needs some weathering, especially as the wash has dried a bit gloss for some strange reason.

I'm working on a crew figure in between doing the track sections, but I'm having to sculpt a new helmet as he is wearing the 80 / 90s issue rather than the 60s one I need.

More soon

All the best

Ben 

Ps - flickr is playing up again so no photos yet sadly

• Like 2

Many thanks Stix!

I've taken a break from the tracks tonight and have finished sculpting a new helmet for the commander.

Rather pleased with that

2019-06-04_10-05-47

There's a complete lack of 1960s US tank crew in 1/72 and the couple I could find were in Vietnam and had flak vests which wasn't appropriate for my Patton.

I used an Elheim miniatures figure which had the later 80s / 90s helmet and backdated this with some green stuff.

Hopefully I'll be able to get him primered tomorrow.

Right - back to tracks!

All the best

Ben

• Like 3

Bit of a short update tonight.

I've painted the tank commander - the sculpt is very basic around the face, so I've done what I can with it but close up photos aren't too kind.

IMG_20190605_225514

As usual I've painted all the appropriate insignia which was fun.

I've then been plodding away with the remaining tracks - not too many left now.

IMG_20190605_225552

More soon

All the best

Ben

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Good work on the commander Ben. 👍🏻

Thanks Dennis - I was reasonably pleased with how he turned out.

• Like 2