THE ELEPHANT ITALY 1944

16 hours ago, Longbow said:

Stunning, Simon !!

That looks fantastic !! ;)

Cheers Lee......appreciate that. It's been looking at me from the cabinet for some time....so thought, let's get it done....or at least a little further along....

16 hours ago, Stef N. said:

That's a cracker Simon. If I can get anywhere near that on my current one I will be more than happy. What green did you use on the camo?

Thanks Stef......it was your recent post on yours that reminded me and prompted me to get back on it......sorry mate the green is a custom mix....it has all kinds mixed in. I was going to use the MIG RAL6003 Olivegrun opt2.....but it's very dark. I've made this mistake in the past. Once all the weathering is done it can darken to the point of looking like a dark grey....so I lightened it with a more leaf green colour I had mixed previously....so a mixed bag all round.

15 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Nice work Simon, got to agree the Elephant does suit the spider/cobweb camo. 

Great to see this back on the bench.

Atb

Thanks Darryl.....I know not technically accurate, but looks the part.......:smile:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Afternoon all.......a quick post to pop up the track test. Got them near finalised last night and wanted to see if they fit OK. I've just invested in some Abteilung 502 oils and  have to say they are wonderful. I replaced the MIG wash for German Dark Yellow with a thinned Shadow Brown ABT015.....really pleased with the results. With these oils I'm going to give the oil dot method a go on this Elephant next. ....but for now here is the track test.

BV6beEV.jpg

rQpbfoX.jpg

Bye for now.

Regards

Simon.

• Like 21

1 hour ago, Longbow said:

Wonderful job, Simon !!

Looking forward to further updates !!

1 hour ago, vytautas said:

That is outstanding! Nice work, looks great! A joy to watch 👍

Vytautas

Thanks both those kind comments....they are R-Model tracks...very pleased with them indeed......

I also try'd the oil dot method....mmmmmm, not sure if I'm doing it right, but have looked at a few demo's on YouTube.....I think my issue is the matt varnish I'm working on. I can't seem to blend it to a mottled effect. It ends up as an overall lightning of the surface and not very mottled.

I'll keep on going and maybe on the Mobelwagen I'll do the satin finish.

Thanks again chap's......:yes:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Redcoat2966 said:

I also try'd the oil dot method....mmmmmm, not sure if I'm doing it right, but have looked at a few demo's on YouTube.....I think my issue is the matt varnish I'm working on. I can't seem to blend it to a mottled effect. It ends up as an overall lightning of the surface and not very mottled.

I found the same problem, Simon, and decided to just focus on the streaking, with brush, rather than the oil-dot attempts. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Longbow said:

I found the same problem, Simon, and decided to just focus on the streaking, with brush, rather than the oil-dot attempts. 

I thinks it's the surface mate.....it's the only thing I can come up with. I'll give it a go on the next project and I'll shift back to my usual weathering treatments as I did on the Bergepanther and leave it at that for this Elephant.

I just ordered some MIG Mud and some weathering plaster base to do the mud on this one too. Never used it before, so giving it a go when it arrives I hope tomorrow.

• Like 2

Elephant looks fantastic Simon,  tracks have come out really well.

I've seen the R- model tracks but never bought any and with the current HMRC issues re' postage from abroad think I'll wait for a while. Did they go together as well as Fruils?

Cheers

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Morning all.....just finished the final oil pin wash for detail and shaping. Next is another go of the oil dot technique....which I'm having trouble getting and satisfaction from to date....have to see on this one. I'm going to let is dry for a few day's first. Off to jump to another project.

have a good day all.....:yes:

Simon.

4extVko.jpg

uu3DiOp.jpg

lXA0o5H.jpg

• Like 15

• 1 year later...

Afternoon all

Been flitting around from one project to the next.....so ended up on the Elephant for it's final stages. This stage being mud and dust. I've finished the base coats for the mud, next will be lighter shades and then an over dusting with a scumble glaze. The mud itself is just pigments set with a mix of matt varnish and Tamiya x20 thinner.

54eCF1E.jpg

mJqx3Tn.jpg

svYhxGj.jpg

JpP1J1V.jpg

4XEZClQ.jpg

Well thats it for now, have to get some other tasks done today....then back on this I hope over the weekend.

Cheers all.

Simon.

Edited by Redcoat2966
IMAGE EDIT AND REPLACEMENT
  • Like 16

1 hour ago, Longbow said:

Love the mud effects, Simon !!

Fantastic work, as always !!

1 hour ago, Milan Mynar said:

Excellent work from my point of wiew.

Thanks both, appreciate that......try'd out some new process's here and there and some experiments with new materials like ink and tried airbrushing Tamiya panel liner....:o.That came out great for some subtle shading, and to darken areas of the mud in the corners etc. I'm trying to pull together an approach with transparent colours and effects. I'm going to give matt varnish mixed with a hint colour next.

53 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Looking very good Simon, superb mud effects. :thumbsup:  I hope you are well and staying safe.

Hi Bob, thanks for that mate....and yes, staying safe and keeping busy, Hope everything is OK your end.........see your back on aircraft for a bit....:o

Cheers

Simon.

• Like 2

On 26/02/2022 at 20:43, Redcoat2966 said:

Hi Bob, thanks for that mate....and yes, staying safe and keeping busy, Hope everything is OK your end.........see your back on aircraft for a bit....:o

I'm not getting much modelling done at the moment, I'm tackling some 1:1 scale house decorating, lots of priming and sanding back, new flooring and skirting boards, I'll call that AM enhancements.  When the weather improves I can finish re-laying the patio and garden path, the fun of being retired, I was hoping for wall to wall modelling.  :fraidnot:

2 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

I'm not getting much modelling done at the moment, I'm tackling some 1:1 scale house decorating, lots of priming and sanding back, new flooring and skirting boards, I'll call that AM enhancements.  When the weather improves I can finish re-laying the patio and garden path, the fun of being retired, I was hoping for wall to wall modelling.  :fraidnot:

Yeah, same here Bob. With Summer approaching the jobs list is growing too.....decorating, driveway amendments etc etc......:unamused:

Keep your chin up......look forward to a rainy day, good excuse to sit and catch up on the bench.

Simon.

• Haha 1