THE ELEPHANT ITALY 1944

Hi Simon, just been looking on ebay for Atak zimm and R-model tracks, it's a pity no one in the UK stocks these products, I notice some of the track packs had a coil of wire instead of pins, must have been some of their early products.   What do you think of the zimmerit, is it worth the money?

Hi Bob, yeah some do. I think it's to keep them in price line with Friuls. I think for me anyway, the additional cost of the pins is well, well worth it. As regards the ATAK Zim, I can't really fault it. The use of the grab glue made a big step forward.....I recommend it. 

• Thanks 1

Evening all....update on the Elephant. Managed to get a lot of the final detail work done today. Getting closer to the primer coat, and the final construction of the upper hull and attachment to the chassis. Maybe by next week, the first base coat of DK will go down.

Npuaq8d.jpg

eSgzbzL.jpg

W6Yj0ph.jpg

yjry8OT.jpg

• Like 16

1 hour ago, Robert Jan Scholte v. Mast said:

Well that is some beast. The ATAK Zim rules IMHO. It's a bit pricy but it really pays off. I used it on 2 Tigers I. Easy to work with and excellent detail.

Looking forward to see some base coat applied.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan

Thanks Robert

I agree, worth the price. You could never create the battle damage with PE versions of Zim, which I bought first and shelved the idea of using. And yes, can't wait to get the primer on, as I think they always look pretty rough in their raw state with PE etc.

Cheers

Simon.

Looking very good Simon, I will have to get some Atak zimm, which retailer did you get yours from.  I looked on ebay and the only seller was from Poland with high postage costs

• Thanks 1

Hi Bob, thanks for taking a look and the positive comment.......and yes mate, I got it off EBay.......and wasn’t cheap as you mention with the shipping ☹️☹️☹️☹️. I originally bought the PE set from Eduard......wasn’t impressed so had to switch to Atak.

I feel it was worth it. If you want to do an Elephant, best to go for a Kursk version.

Thanks again mate👍

Thats looking good Simon, love the work on the brass fenders and also like how you bent them, looks real. this will look great with your paint job.

Regards

Richard

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

I feel it was worth it. If you want to do an Elephant, best to go for a Kursk version.

I do have a Ferdinand in the stash, so no zimm there, I also bought the Eduard etched zimm years ago, as you say it's a waste of money.  So Atak it is, not sure I would want to do all that brass work, though it's great for re-creating battle damage.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ripaman said:

Thats looking good Simon, love the work on the brass fenders and also like how you bent them, looks real. this will look great with your paint job.

Regards

Richard

1 hour ago, Retired Bob said:

I do have a Ferdinand in the stash, so no zimm there, I also bought the Eduard etched zimm years ago, as you say it's a waste of money.  So Atak it is, not sure I would want to do all that brass work, though it's great for re-creating battle damage.

Thanks chaps.....👍👍👍...I’m waiting for a delivery of 3mm brass tube for what I believe are the gun cleaning rods canister on the fenders and then I should be on to primer.....clean it up and check for any flaws in the zim etc.

Thanks for taking a look

cheers

• Like 1

Evening all....hope the heat isn't getting you down too much. Stayed in today and worked on the "beast"........managed to get the two tone primer on....Base black then IJA Parched Grass (Late). So next is the 4 tone Dunkelgelb base colours. Intend to keep it very, very light when finished; as I want what really was quite light camo'.

aXolbDN.jpg

CWVaWwx.jpg

gOjuIkq.jpg

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 13

• Redcoat2966 changed the title to THE ELEPHANT ITALY 1944

Hi Simon, how is the Elephant coming along?  It's looking good with the primer on  I have been busy with my son finishing his degree at university, driver, humper-dumper, cleaner, the usual things but it has stopped me getting much modelling done.  But I did get around to ordering some Atak zimm for my Elephant, plus a few more goodies since I was paying for the postage.  Looking forward to starting it once I have finished these other Tigers.

1 hour ago, Retired Bob said:

Hi Simon, how is the Elephant coming along?  It's looking good with the primer on  I have been busy with my son finishing his degree at university, driver, humper-dumper, cleaner, the usual things but it has stopped me getting much modelling done.  But I did get around to ordering some Atak zimm for my Elephant, plus a few more goodies since I was paying for the postage.  Looking forward to starting it once I have finished these other Tigers.

Hi Bob .....sounds like you have been busy away from the bench mate. As you can see, I managed to get the primer on. Black with IJA Parched Grass for the lighter areas. I stopped though, as I'm waiting for some 4mm OD brass tube to build a rod cleaning holder on the funning board. Once I get that built , I'll crack on with the main hull airbrushing and pre mud the lower chassis. Been studying a load of Panzer Ace magazines for some tips on mud etc,

As regards the Zim you've got I certainly would recommend trying to get the Polymer Grab Adhesive by Dual from B&Q.....perfect for the Zim application.

What other goodies did you get?

Simon.....:yes:

• Like 1

On 01/08/2019 at 21:12, Redcoat2966 said:

What other goodies did you get?

With the Atak zimm looking so good I bought a set for a King Tiger, the Dragon molded on zimm looks ok but I think the Atak zimm will look better.  I also bought some Aber armoured m/g barrels for the hulls of Tigers, KTs and my Elephant.  Some Aber m/g barrels  and sights for the cupola mounted m/gs on my KTs, and finally some Aber towing shackles for again for the KTs.  Should be here by next Wednesday.:penguin: 

On 8/2/2019 at 10:35 PM, Retired Bob said:

With the Atak zimm looking so good I bought a set for a King Tiger, the Dragon molded on zimm looks ok but I think the Atak zimm will look better.  I also bought some Aber armoured m/g barrels for the hulls of Tigers, KTs and my Elephant.  Some Aber m/g barrels  and sights for the cupola mounted m/gs on my KTs, and finally some Aber towing shackles for again for the KTs.  Should be here by next Wednesday.:penguin: 

Hi Bob, yes I have to agree. I'm very pleased how the Atak looks when painted. I have to get some of the armoured MG barrels. I've been looking for some reference on whether they used standard un-armoured as I have a few of those. If not, I'll send off for some too. Sounds like you picked up some nice detail stuff overall.....looking forward to seeing them on the finished pieces.

I have my eye on a new project....again :whistle:, now I know why I have so many awaiting finishing......looking at doing a captured Russian bus in '45 during the retreat westward.....have to see. I'd like to get this one done. Managed yesterday to get the base Dunkelgelb on and highlight detail work. Hard to take good pics, with my phone. Here's where she stands at present. I might try some oils on this one...never tried that method yet......so need to dig out my oil paints from my designer days........I might increase the detail highlighting a little before the next stage....and repair some slight issues on the Zim on the leading corners of the front gun mantlet plate.

Well, off to the model club meet.....catch you all soon.:yes:

U2ZaY2S.jpg

80FYOpk.jpg

• Like 10

Hi Simon, well that zimm really "pops" out on your photos and the damaged mudguard looks the dogs danglies, like you I have so many models on the go, once my m/g barrels arrive I want to wrap up the 2 KTs.  I also went to my model club meeting and then to my sons flat to do some resealing of his shower, home in time to put the chickens to bed!  I am chicken watching/sitting for a neighbour while he is on holiday, so no modelling today.  That bus diorama sounds good, and no zimmerit, win, win.

• Thanks 1

On 8/4/2019 at 12:40 AM, Retired Bob said:

Hi Simon, well that zimm really "pops" out on your photos and the damaged mudguard looks the dogs danglies, like you I have so many models on the go, once my m/g barrels arrive I want to wrap up the 2 KTs.  I also went to my model club meeting and then to my sons flat to do some resealing of his shower, home in time to put the chickens to bed!  I am chicken watching/sitting for a neighbour while he is on holiday, so no modelling today.  That bus diorama sounds good, and no zimmerit, win, win.

Sorry about the delay in replying Bob, lost track.....been working on my Matilda. The Zim' does show up well. More than I thought it would, and with some wash it'll show up well. Sounds like you've got your hands full all round.........and the KT's.....:D:D,.....for some reason I have this urge to get to KFC......:whistle:

The bus get's here next week. I might break my vow to get all the others done.....and kick it off.....I like to be building something, makes a change from the painting. I find I need a break to figure out a process etc before I apply to a finished piece. Practicing with chipping medium at the present on a Steyer in DAK colours over German Grey.

Thanks again.

On 8/4/2019 at 1:23 AM, Ripaman said:

Looking good Simon :thumbsup:

Regards

Richard

Cheers Richard.....on the shelf at present. Big decision on final camo'. I can't follow Zitadel patterns, so trying to develop something different than the regular 3 colour camo' scheme.

35 minutes ago, Silenoz said:

Splendid work, just in time to catch up with this one, camo looks very good, construction too...

Hi Silenoz, and thanks.......:yes:....I enjoyed the build on this one a lot. Nice one to paint too, as it's such a large "canvas"

12 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Sorry about the delay in replying Bob, lost track.....been working on my Matilda. The Zim' does show up well. More than I thought it would, and with some wash it'll show up well. sounds like you've got your hands full all round.........and the KT's.....:D:D,.....for some reason I have this urge to get to KFC......:whistle:

No problem, I know the feeling well.  I must admit I had missed the Matilda build, very different to the usual camo finish, no blue for you. :wicked: I have the AK caunter set, I'll leave that for a rainy month. :whistle:. I always thought of the Maltese camo as a dry stone wall camo, If you have been to Malta, buff coloured dry stone walls are everywhere.

My Atak zimm has turned up, for the Elephant its number is 35004, and it looks different to yours, there is no vertical patterning and all around the bolt heads on the front plates and those circular covers the zimm has a radial pattern.  This is correct for the one that went to the USA, but not all of them were patterned like that. :hmmm: Best thing for a chicken, a roasting pan, don't forget the stuffing and roasties. :Tasty: 

12 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

The bus get's here next week. I might break my vow to get all the others done.....and kick it off.....I like to be building something, makes a change from the painting. I find I need a break to figure out a process etc before I apply to a finished piece. Practicing with chipping medium at the present on a Steyer in DAK colours over German Grey.

Nothing like starting another kit to re-boot your mojo, especially something different, until it ends up on the shelf waiting to be finished.  Guess how I know. :facepalm:

• Like 1