THE ELEPHANT ITALY 1944

Hello and good evening everyone.

I'm back.......well, starting to get back into being at the bench after having to withdraw from the GB Panzer IV due to some medical and personal issues to fix; my apologies to everyone who finished and congrats on a great build from all. Even though I didn't drop by any contributions as regards comments etc....I followed avidly on all your builds. Thoroughly enjoyed everyone's progress.

My medication prevented me from being able to positively contribute both at the bench and on here as a forum with some chat etc. ...but I'm back and will slowly get up to speed. I have a few projects on the go that I flit between like a butterfly, medications limit concentration at times.......:unamused:.....:sleepy:

Here's one that I'm slowly,,,,,very slowly plodding through. I'm working from a walk around set of images from the Ferdinand that's resides at Bovington at present (the one from Maryland). Had some issues with it as regards the Dragon kit itself and the moulding in places as regards fit. The rear sponson construction that I think was added at the time to form the Ferdinand from the prototype Tiger chassis.....took a long time to sand and pair down to make fit and line up the chassis........ There's a lot of weld lines omitted from the kit itself that I'm working through adding, a very intricate PE set from Aber that I'm going for; even through the kit itself is a Smart Kit with PE included. Nice metal barrel and host of metal parts etc to get into over time.

SO HERE'S WHERE SHE STANDS AT PRESENT.....WELD LINES TO ORDER OF THE DAY.

ZPBl0d9.jpg

FRONT GLACIS WITH ADDITIONAL BOLT HEADS SUPPLIED BY MASTERCLUB. One note to add is the front drive wheels. There's no position marker of any sorts provided by Dragon to set them in place. I recommend taking a peek at some actual photos of that area of the chassis to get the position as close as possible. I set them wrong and had to remove and re-set......:wtf:

SRLpTsm.jpg

WELD LINES ADDED ON BOTH SIDES FOR THE MUD SCRAPERS

d9HkvfO.jpg

AND IN REVIEWING THE BOVINGTON FERDINAND, THE ADDITION OF SOME VERY HEAVY WELDS TO HOLD WHAT I BELIEVE IS SOME SORT OF ARMOURED EXHAST COVER....I IMPROVED THE TEXTURE OF THE COVER ALSO WITH SOME ADDITION OF LIQUID CEMENT 

xYgGQE7.jpg

AND FINALY....EVEN THOUGH NOT REALLY SEEN ARE THE GRILS FOR THE EXHAUST (OR AIR IN TAKE)

nSvJrSN.jpg

WELL....can't say when the next update will be....but it's nice to be back on the forum to some extent, slowly is better than nothing....🤗.......catch you all soon...regards....Simon.

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 14

Hi RedCoat,

I'm glad to see you again here, sorry about hearing that you had health problems, I also had some, but it was not serious, although I struggled to finish the model in time for GB PzIV.
Hope you are better.
A very attractive model Ferdinand / Elefant, or like or dislike, there is no middle point ...
Zvezda has recently released a kit of each, at a very competitive price, and I think they are very good. I think I'll end up buying either one of them.
I would love to see how your work progresses.:popcorn:
Cheers mate. 👍

• Thanks 1

• Redcoat2966 changed the title to RETURN TO THE BENCH - THE ELEPHANT ITALY 1944

THANKS TO YOU BOTH...:yes:...glad to be back as such...I have been doing some work here and there, but in a better frame of mind to get back on the forum for a good chat with the gang, and post some other projects.

I had to change the title of the thread Francis to "Elephant".....suddenly realised I wasn't building the Pre-Kursk model's, but the revised and refitted one's that survived the battle - machine gun in front etc, etc.....:think:

NOTES ON THE BUILD:

The one issue I am having with the PE detail set from Aber is the metal chosen for this set, is very, very rigid. I think I'm going to have to heat treat it as bending very fine long line's is near impossible.:worry:

Here's the overall set of parts and the ABER PE for the job at hand.

HD4tDjk.jpg

The Zimerit is on it's way from Eduard............hoping a PE version fits and looks OK....have to see....:worry:

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 4

Sorry to hear you've had some problems and wish you a speedy return to full health.

Like what you're doing with this one and will follow along if you don't mind

Roger

• Thanks 1

Hi John, Hi Roger

I'm on the mend, just have to battle with the meds.........:sleepy:, and yes, looking forward to this one, thanks for the thumbs up. I find my concentration levels wain somewhat, now and then so it'll be a long one. Still, that's why it's a great hobby. A good build, a good chat on here with a good set of chaps and lots of Youtube vids while you build............:thumbsup:

Cheers

Simon.

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 3

Hi Soeren, sorry mate.....here she is....it's the Dragon 6311 Premium Edition from 2006. Picked it up of a fellow modeller getting out of military models and going back to aircraft for £30. Although the "bling" has pushed up the budget a bit........:worry:

yeQG2ZZ.jpg

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 4

Just a note to everyone....if your intending to build a Dragon Elephant (post Kursk) then you'll have to resign yourself to hand application of the Zimmerit....the Eduard Zimmerit is near useless....:bangin:.....no better than printed sheet. It lack's any depth in the ridges, and troughs.......so....:think:...off to research the best "putty" stuff to use, and do some practice set's on some old hulks.....

cheers all

Simon.

• Sad 1

Hi Simon

You might want to check if ATAK makes any resin zimmerit for this kit or even a Tamiya kit that

might work on the Dragon. I have used 2 of their sets on my two King Tigers, although they are 

1/16 scale and that stuff is the best. Easy to apply and looks like real 3-D zimmerit because it is.

Hope you are feeling better. Some of those meds can get to be a bit much.

I just checked and ATAK makes zimmerit #SE35-06 which is for the Dragon Elefant

Lloyd

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Like 1

Hi Lloyd, how are you mate 👋

Thanks for that Lloyd.......I’ll look up a seller of the Atak set, its got to be better than the PE stuff. 

And thanks for asking........My meds tend to make me drowsy on occasion and without I have short fuse as regards patience......either way not good for modelling.☹️

Off to hint for some Zim.....cheers 

Yes it's pricey but it's light years ahead of that Eduard, Tamiya and Meng decal crap they are pedaling. It

actually looks like zimmerit and you can distress it to show chunks missing. I tried the putty and rake method

on a 1/35 Panther and it turned out not great, acceptable but not pretty. I won't be doing that again in this

lifetime while I can get ATAK that fits and looks right, especially in 1/16 scale.

Take care,

Lloyd

BTW you should try 3 months of chemo sometime if you want short fuse and all of the puking etc that comes with that.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BlackMax12 said:

Yes it's pricey but it's light years ahead of that Eduard, Tamiya and Meng decal crap they are pedaling. It

actually looks like zimmerit and you can distress it to show chunks missing. I tried the putty and rake method

on a 1/35 Panther and it turned out not great, acceptable but not pretty. I won't be doing that again in this

lifetime while I can get ATAK that fits and looks right, especially in 1/16 scale.

I'll keep it on my list to get next Lloyd, and give it a go......and I agree.....I've done DIY Zim in the past........very tedious. It's OK to do on a simple structure, but this Elephant has those rivets etc....which will make it even more tedious...:unamused: Although, I did see a Youtube vid of a chap in the States using a water based wood filler by Elmers, which I thought I might try and experiment with in the future.

Cheers

S

• Like 1

That Elmer's Wood Filler is the material I used on the 1/35 Panther along with Tamiya zimmerit rakes.

It works and it looks like real zimmerit but it's a pain to use. Too thick and the rake balls it up, too

thin and it runs and the rake doesn't leave the grooves and ridges. I also found the model has to be

painted before applying the filler as it doesn't want to stick to bare plastic.

The good news is it washes right off if you screw up and that's good as it took me about 4-5 tries to get

the turret looking half ways decent.

ATAK is the only way. A little 2 part epoxy, apply the resin sheet, position it just right before the epoxy sets up and

that's it. You can go back later and chip off some of the edges or break off chunks to make it look distressed. On the

King Tigers they give you resin replacements for the machine gun blister, the rear turret hatch and hinges and the gun

mantlet but I don't know what would be included in the Elefant package. Probably that big mantlet and rear hatches, etc.

No, I'm not an ATAK salesman but it is the easiest and best looking way to beat the zimmerit blues.

Take care,

Lloyd

• Thanks 1

On 3/25/2019 at 9:09 PM, Soeren said:

Glad to see you back with some modelling work :D

I've come to the decision to go for the ATAK Zim Lloyd (save up my pennies :think:). The only issue I have is that I'll have to do the Zim for the front armour plate as it's in place now and won't be able to use the resin one that comes with the ATAK set.........that's a bit of a bummer:sad:....anyway, get some practice in for that little section and try out some different materials to do it with.

Cheers

Simon.

• 3 months later...

Evening all........well, the ATAK arrived a few weeks ago and on it went. Really nice stuff to work with I have to say. Definitely on the shopping list when required in the future.........and I discovered (by accident :think: ), what I consider the perfect glue to attach ATAK.....Polymer Grab Adhesive. Really great stuff. Totally soluble in white spirit........moveable for at least 15 mins.........and when cured, you can still cut away Zimmerite and remove the glue with the tip of a knife......A+ stuff.

Here's where I am on the main hull. Still some bits and bobs as regards the Zim to go on yet.......

okHrhtI.jpg

RDxHfeW.jpg

JJkVI4Y.jpg

And finally the tracks........the R-MODEL tracks arrived last week....and what can I say.........

SUPERB AND FLAWLESS  :thumbsup:.....

Each side took me no more than 45 mins each, with a tea break in the middle of both....:coffee:. The special track pins are perfect. Bolt heads one end, and the tip rounded to slide in for a friction lock. I had to slightly cryo maybe 15 across both sets as I took them out as I got the track back to front.....:wall:....10 out of 10 for me though. Certainly looks like my chosen track type from now on if they have what I need.

LNQ5T2w.jpg

Anyway, off to tackle the running boards and mudguards for this one and the other projects on the bench......:yes:

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 11

How did you get on with the front bow plate/ m.g port with the Atak replacement?  only I have a couple of these kits and I do not want mess around with filler or glues.  Never heard of R-model tracks before?  O well it's time for my medication and bedtime, ain't it great to be old?

• Like 1

Hi Bob

I decided to leave the Dragon front bow plate and use parts of the ATAK meant for the mud guards and the plate just beneath the MG. Still have to finish off the MG face yet. I also added some to the lower front plate with the excess I have.

qPA99a3.jpg

As regards the track......certainly for me a favoured type from now on. The pins they supply make the difference. I recommend you try a set next time. I got mine of Ebay. They only come from China at present.

ygQvyIs.jpg

• Like 7