A couple of 1/350 scale submarines

Two more submarines finished.

type214_04.JPG

type214_02.JPG

type214_05.JPG

A Type 214 submarine from Wolfpack. A manufacturer that was new to me.
It turned out to be a very nice kit. I finished it straight out of the box as Son Won-iL from the Republic of Korea.

trenchant_07.JPG

trenchant_05.JPG

trenchant_08.JPG

Next was Airfix Trafalgar class built in the experimental camouflage tried on HMS Trenchant.

airifix-trafalgar_02.JPG

Together wid my HMS Swiftsure

• Like 13

I read that it was the change of operation areas after the end of the cold war that initiated this. They operated more in shallow and clear waters than the previous Atlantic operations. I know that there was a completely blue submarine at one point. As a model builder I'm grateful for the chance of something else than black/dark grey. 

• 3 weeks later...

I served on Trenchant during this trial, we were used as we getting near to our refit period and all the tiles had been removed from the aft end of the boat

so they could paint it I think the blue was sourced from a local DIY store and the grey came from a Type 23 that was in the dockyard at the time. The trial was carried out as submarines were carrying out more ops in the Med and Gulf, but unfortunately the trial was carried out in the North Atlantic which meant we stuck out like a sore thumb Torbay was painted in a very dark plum colour. there were a couple of variations the blue was over painted in grey and then black as you can see from the picture it weathered quite badly.

33696995308_5b03854f07_b.jpgtrencpay by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

• Like 2