A little side project, L Class Destroyer “HMS Legion”

Well another successful afternoon working on the “HMS Legion” build. This afternoon I did the following,
paint the bridge windshield and fitted the Yagi antennas along the bridge superstructure, to the rear of the bridge fitted and painted two ladders along with some touch up painting all the way aft and fitted 4 Depth Charge launchers to the aft port side. Was thinking of doing Flyhawk’s PE set, but their plastic are just as good as the PE one’s. So I might leave them for the “HMS Lance” build?

83F0A113-32EC-4C3E-B19C-7E6462E9BE28

D98D02E1-4D27-422E-8A9E-19B0A448B913

EA036528-C71F-4356-9A36-BCFE123A23C3

Edited by Exkiwiforces
  • Like 4

Another productive day this afternoon for “HMS Legion”  build. Fitted the first of many railings next the B position 4” gun, had to a bit trimming. But fitting them into position will require some patience as the PE is quite soft by Western standards.

Fitted the remaining depth charges and davits on the port side. And again I had a few issues with trimming up the ready use depth charges which come in as set of 3, a- plastic is a little soft, in which I almost broke it so it is a little bit wonky, b- can be a little hard to place as well and in some chases flew off while using a pair tweezers and c- I had to use super glue as I had a set that didn’t want to stay in place. 

28E47CC9-4ABB-44C9-9F68-5396E5DE9BB8

E4EB543B-49E7-4849-AE5E-3CFC443D6C95

B19B5644-959E-4718-8963-782320F87EE6

• Like 4

Getting a little bit crowded down back of the “HMS Legion” build this afternoon. I broke two davits on the sprue, then managed to lose two and broke two throughout this afternoon while fitting the depth charges and a couple of railings which were a mission in itself. Thank god for the PE set that Flyhawk supplied.

Almost forgot though the mayhem of flying davits etc this afternoon, I also managed to a set of ready use Depth Charges off the port side and I did use super glue to keep them in place.

Hats off to the Pirates or to the Jack Tars and the Jackie’s (Officers) who served down back in the L Class Destroyers (actually it should be to minor Fleet warships), as it was a right royal pain in the bottom trying to fit everything on today and it must have been hell tipping over equipment or trying to squeeze though those tight spaces during combat or in rough seas etc!

1D303A59-5AE9-4E19-8E18-062E4BF08E54

17229368-8A08-4BB0-9728-F843EB7A7DB9

• Like 4

Added the forward set of railings today to “HMS Legion”. They took a bit longer than planned as I didn’t line up the 1st set, but anyway they are now on and the plan for tomorrow is a bit of touch painting. The ship is already looking a bit weather beaten atm with paint peeling off the f’wd area and around the waterline as well.

4C9105EF-8393-4AA6-A16B-4F4F03A78F88

0CFBAFA7-D181-4DEC-AD57-0ED7B8F3E557

Edited by Exkiwiforces
  • Like 5

She's looking good and busy now, like you say, they had a lot of stuff crammed onto them.

Makes for a Cracking model!

Geoff 

On 5/2/2019 at 4:45 PM, Our Ned said:

The structure between the torpedo tube mountings on many RN destroyers housed the ventilation arrangements for the engine room and gearing room.  The deck above it originally carried the searchlight (replaced by RDF (radar) in some ships later in the war) and the Emergency Conning Position (ECP).  If the bridge was unusable through damage, then the ship could be controlled from the ECP, which was open to the elements, and carried a steering wheel and telegraphs.  It's not a wheelhouse as such.

This continues to the present day (or at least did into the 60-80s warships I served in!).  The ECP (definitely so-called nowadays, as the term “wheelhouse’ has pretty much died, the modern helm being on the bridge itself) is usually on top of the hangar of a modern warship - same reason; if the bridge is sufficiently badly damaged for you to have to abandon it, you want somewhere else to control the ship.

Legion is looking lovely.

After today’s wee trip into Pendle Hills (Western Sydney) to Woodpeckers Model Railways Shop, well it’s more trains and Oxford diecast than Model kits unless you are an Airfix fan. Where I had buy tin of Humbrol paint which I forgot to get last weekend.

Anyway I’ve fitted two davits OIT try my hand at some rigging tomorrow around the funnel and added one bit of railing to the ECP and actually found two pieces that go on the ECP which I thought I had lost to the carpet monster, but were still on the spruce. 

4CD979E9-B48E-47B4-889E-220F790C364C

Edited by Exkiwiforces
  • Like 5

Well I try my hand at some rigging today by doing the funnel or stack. The British on most of their Navy Ships had rigging around their funnels/ stacks unlike other navies during WW2. Well what a f**king poo-poo fight it was today, when it started all rosie, but towards the end the “HMS Legion” nearly up growing wings as i nearly launched it a few time along with colourful language that would make any DI, SSM, SQNWOFF or RSM smile and for this ultra fine thread from Infini Models well you can this crap up your jackise. 

My reference guide for rigging.

F5CF033F-B56C-4F8B-B0C1-6020E2724BCD

Chapter 9, How how do rigging, David Griffith make it look easy and mind he is using a different thread than I was today, I’m blaming the thread for this poo-poo fight.

C7D52BF8-E712-47AB-B546-51282E257ABB

This is where I came unstuck trying to tire off.🤬🤬

98D72A36-156A-4FB9-BD2D-A3D35A4BF088

Step one attach four rigging lines and a bit of blue tac on the stack.

D4F47BDC-AB8F-40A1-90B7-7AF3A7222E5B

Place the four threads on the blue tac, I’m going great here and this rigging is easy, so I thought.

C337EE1B-20DB-4341-A845-939A1BD90CEF

Some two hrs later I finally got it done, so I thought. Well the port side looks great 👍,but the starboard which you won’t see is a poo-poo fight🤬.

A901EF0B-F48C-457B-80DF-FE76CF52E5C4

Yep, I’m blame the thread on this one.

• 1 year later...

Pulled HMS Legion out of the cupboard to finally finished this build. Added on the ships small boats and railings around aft twin 4” guns. Hopefully sometime today I’ll start the two masts. The only thing I haven’t fitted to this build is the railing around the quad 2pdr gun.

3190C400-9795-4F8C-B33F-98863E8D7D42

• Like 7

Not much has happened with this build atm, as I have been battling assembling the two masts   which has put the stress/ anger levels into the stratosphere (thank god for my meds) and I seem to have it at a level where after two days of fighting I can pull the soldering iron out I 🤔.

16E4085A-DB45-4652-B5D0-FC66A2E92E20

85990298-DF19-459C-811B-C847EE23FE9F

• Like 3

Well that was an effort today, It started off well, until the one of the stays from the main mast came lose after all the good work. 

Instead of probably super gluing but in place. I whipped out the soldiering iron again and it was all down hill after that from a B+ to a D-. 

Did my best to fix it up and an even worse job in the end. But as this is going to be a part of a of a massive diorama project down the track who cares.

1/700 HMS Legion from Flyhawk

1/700 HMS Legion from Flyhawk

It was a very wet & humid afternoon, which was a good day to do some modeling. 

Well the mast fit to Legion required some tweaks to properly fit and with a bit super glue it was all ready to go for some rigging. 

Oh just one thing the antenna for the main mast fell apart from the PE Fame as I slice it out. Flyhawk PE is so good, but so soft and brittle than your more common brands or from the likes of Peter Hall’s wonderful PE items that he produces 

1/700 HMS Legion by Flyhawk

1/700 HMS Legion by Flyhawk

• Like 2

Actually my PE work, well the main mast is rubbish compared to Chris Hewitt’s Ships. Metal Work at  intermediate and high schools wasn’t my forte as I’m more of a wood worker because if stuff up ie forget to measure twice & cut once, you grab another bit of wood.  With geology /geography and history with a bit of Horticulture/ Farming thrown in to make up the numbers. English, maths & science weren’t actually my forte either which kissed my  goodbye of any thought of being a Airforce Pilot.

Almost finished this build, just got to do the decals and it’s completed. I did make a hash of things with the rigging etc, so I’ll try & do a better job with the HMS Lance build which I’ll & restart sometime this weekend  

HMS Legion

HMS Legion

HMS Legion

HMS Legion

Somewhere in the Atlantic on a dull day late 40/ early 41

HMS Ark Royal & HMS Legion

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, it was worth sticking with it. She looks very good. Regards, Jeff.

Hopefully I can use my lessons learnt from this build into the Lance build and especially the with main mast on Lance looks a way bit more tricky considering my skill level or the my complete lack of skill with the soldering iron. 

Gidday, my experience with soldering is limited to connecting wires, firstly when working for Telstra (made redundant nearly twenty years ago) and then after that wiring up my son's train set. I've no experience with PE and it looks too fine for me. Instead of soldering, can PE be glued? Either way it's good that lessons learnt on one build can be used on the next. I'm looking forwards to seeing it. Regards, Jeff.