A little side project, L Class Destroyer “HMS Legion”

Since I’m at the stage of my other two builds atm, where I’m now down at dirty end of small detail painting, assembling/ fitting and glueing PE and small parts such as guns, masts, small boats etc. I’ve started this wee build while I’m waiting for paint to set or glued parts to set etc.

This build will be a slow one as main rate of effort will be on the J Class and HMS Ariadne, but it will also depends on the weather and I’m going fishing and hunting trip for most April.

Today’s wee job of adding the black waterline and which will be followed by the rest of the hull.

• Like 5

Have applied the Colourcoats M16 this afternoon on HMS Legion after I in counted a few problems with the 20mm twin powered mounts for HMS Ariadne. The second/  touch paint won’t get done until come back from my fishing/ hunting trip around 11-12 Apr depending on the weather of course.

258F36B2-07F0-4B60-AE57-913E41F308E9

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Came home early from my hunting and fishing trip as the weather packed in, but I bagged out of Jew Fish and Golden Snapper about 2-3mths worth of fish.

HMS Legion, painted on G10 and MS16 from Sovereign Colourcoats over the weekend. Slow and steady atm.

0FA8D49F-4643-4EA3-97F4-70C94DA6155B

and

• Like 2

On 30/03/2019 at 14:09, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, or 1/600 scale. I agree with the beauty bit, though. Regards, Jeff.

Yes, I would prefer 1/600 any day over 1/700 scale and the wife would be probably happy at the less colourful language when dealing with 1/600 scale model than a 1/700.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I dress up the 40mm quad Pom Pom Gun from Flyhawk as is look a little bare, with some PE from Niko.

C01F51C4-CA75-4DF0-B643-C16ECAB21E60

Have prime the superstructure for HMS Legion and I’m currently 0 and 4 with the blue carpet monster atm with the HMS Legion build.

8C6E8483-032A-4233-865E-368C7C39784C

Here’s the quad Pom Pom Gun all painted up

3652204F-511F-47D7-BCE9-A3958EECB862

Edited by Exkiwiforces
Found a pic of the quad Pom Pom Gun painted up
  • Like 3

HMS Legion, the funnel attach, the emergency wheel house is fitted, with first of the four twin 4” guns
fitted in the A position and with the 40mm quad Pom Pom fitted. The remaining superstructure of HMS Legion is behind just waiting for the ready use lockers to dry prior to fitting and some small railings to be fitted on the main superstructure (right hand side) The one in the centre is for the Cruiser.

This build has been a real joy to build to compare to my other plastic kits, but I do have a couple of issues with Flyhawk.

1, I have found the plastic they use to be a little bit on the soft side when you compare them to the likes of Tamiya and Trumpter kits with either the small parts breaking easily or flying off to god knows where.

2, Their PE is a little bit on the soft side as well compared with Peter Hall’s from Atlantic Models and Western model companies that do PE.

3, The idiots guide aka the instructions sheet can be a little confusing at times, but with some prior planing and researching where the PE goes which is on a separate sheet btw can be overcome these little problems. 

Other users may have other issues with Flyhawk, all in all this company is kicking more goals than mighty AB’s thrashing British Lions or helpless Ozzie’s in the Four Nations. In other words Flyhawk is streets ahead of the more established plastic kit set companies by far. Give me a Flyhawk model and Colourcoats and I’m almost in heaven.

6A31413D-7B64-42B4-97CE-BCDBB362B0A4

Edited by Exkiwiforces
  • Like 3

On 28/04/2019 at 21:11, Bandsaw Steve said:

Looking good bro!

Should do one of these in All Black colours! 👍

Well I was a Western Force supporter until they got chop for all the wrong reasons and the only foreign team I follow now in the Super Rugby is the Jaguars as I love their style of rugby apart from the mighty Red & Blacks and the Highlanders.

The only Aussie I follow now is Izzy and this coming from an ex 5/8th, Centre turn flanker/ blind side flanker before I had to hand the boots up.

Edited by Exkiwiforces
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Exkiwiforces said:

the emergency wheel house is fitted, 

Gidday Exkiwi, is that the deck-house between the two sets of torpedo tubes or the one supporting the quad 2lb pompom? I never knew they had an emergency wheelhouse. Regards, Jeff.

17 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Exkiwi, is that the deck-house between the two sets of torpedo tubes or the one supporting the quad 2lb pompom? I never knew they had an emergency wheelhouse. Regards, Jeff.

Yes, it’s the one between the two sets of torpedo tubes. I would normally quote a reference, but my books are back in Darwin and I believe they were quite common on British Destroyers.

• Thanks 1

A trial fit of the of parts of the superstructure prior to wrapping this afternoon. Have a number of small things to do like installing the ready use lockers and the first of the railings just aft of the main part of the superstructure.

C21FFB24-E25A-4852-8C10-43204EC185CC

Edited by Exkiwiforces
Finally got the pic up
  • Like 3

Gidday again, and thanks for replying so soon. I've noticed this deck-house between the sets of tubes in nearly all WWII RN destroyers, it never occurred to me what it really was for. Thankyou for the info. Regards, Jeff.

Great work so far, nice touch with the quad pom pom. Extra detail is always good!

Is it me or is the Niko quad just huge in comparison to any 1/700 kit? Tried putting one on the Tamiya O class and it Almost looked the same size as the funnel. Their 4.7's look great but the quads? 

:popcorn: Enjoying this I am!

Geoff 

The Niko quad 40mm Pom Pom, to me this best after market product by far and Flyhawks one is probably the best one for plastic by a long way compared to others on market. 

I was was going to jazz up the ammo boxes on the quad Pom Pom, but forgot to get some paint while I was buying more paint brushes.

The structure between the torpedo tube mountings on many RN destroyers housed the ventilation arrangements for the engine room and gearing room.  The deck above it originally carried the searchlight (replaced by RDF (radar) in some ships later in the war) and the Emergency Conning Position (ECP).  If the bridge was unusable through damage, then the ship could be controlled from the ECP, which was open to the elements, and carried a steering wheel and telegraphs.  It's not a wheelhouse as such.

14 hours ago, Our Ned said:

The structure between the torpedo tube mountings on many RN destroyers housed the ventilation arrangements for the engine room and gearing room.  The deck above it originally carried the searchlight (replaced by RDF (radar) in some ships later in the war) and the Emergency Conning Position (ECP).  If the bridge was unusable through damage, then the ship could be controlled from the ECP, which was open to the elements, and carried a steering wheel and telegraphs.  It's not a wheelhouse as such.

Depending on which book or magazine you read the either called it a Emergency Wheelhouse or as you have pointed out an ECP and I  aren’t anywhere my library atm (about 2,500 kms) it was the first thing that came to my head amongst all the poo-poo that’s flying about atm. 

Today I finally added the some railings (which is a first for me) before I added main part of superstructure, the ready use lockers added, the aft superstructure was added as well, before  I place spare the Depth Charges which were attach to aft superstructure. But i’ve lost a couple of smoke stacks where the Y position gun to the blue carpet monster.

Anyway it’s time to crack on with the Daring Class project for the Xavier Ward at St John of God Hospital, as I need to have that done prior to discharge.

21051318-B66F-4C86-AB0B-D20F24F89848

13260A4B-6CB2-4D7B-86E9-81387C75C63E

• Like 4

Did some tidy up painting this afternoon on “HMS Legion” today, before I attached the twin 4” Guns, a number of ladders were fitted as well, a part of the starboard railing decide it didn’t want to play either and I wasted about an 1hr trying to it back together. Just before I thought of attaching main superstructure to the ship, I had realised I hadn’t attach the small smoke stack which cost me another half hr as this thing somehow grow a pair of wings, anyway it’s attached now and I finally attach the windows/ canopy on the bridge, and to find I made a right hash of it assembling it with folds out of place etc. Anyway the damm thing is on now and remember that the HMS Lance build. Just got a few more things to with this build before I stop and pack it way until I return back to Darwin and do the masts and I might try and do rigging while I’m at it. (another first for me as well)

46F7F9B5-1B67-4561-AD66-F2BC9BCD3071

526D2C13-E60C-4FA1-813F-BCB0DF4BC7EA

• Like 5

Gidday Exkiwi, It is coming along very nicely, and your kits seem to have good detail. They rather beat the pants off my Airfix efforts. And regarding Geoff's query about the quad pompom, it looks the right size to me. I believe they were rather large and heavy mountings. AFAIK anyway. Keep up the good work. Regards, Jeff.

16 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Exkiwi, It is coming along very nicely, and your kits seem to have good detail. They rather beat the pants off my Airfix efforts. And regarding Geoff's query about the quad pompom, it looks the right size to me. I believe they were rather large and heavy mountings. AFAIK anyway. Keep up the good work. Regards, Jeff.

I believe they are a quite large beast just going by the pictures I’ve seen and on that Noel Coward’s movie from the war which is loosely base on old Mountbatten’s time in the Med. But I would love to know if there is an example of one in UK as I know there is one on a Ex WW2 Canadian Destroyer on the East Coast (I wish there is one around Vancouver?) somewhere?

The one on “Legion” is the Flyhawk one,  with the PE from the Niko quad 2pd Pom Poms and even without the PE the Flyhawk ones look the piece. Where as  on my J Class Destroyer and the “HMS Ariadne” builds are all Niko ones.

• Like 1