Yet another go around for an old warhorse...the Italeri M47

Asmodai

No photo update yet, but I've started applying my base of a black wash to the entire vehicle. Meanwhile, I have discovered some more recent pics of this vehicle, besides the set I have that was taken in 2004. It does not seem to be photographed and publicly posted much. Since 2004, it has been repainted at least once in a darker green shade and is now adorned with just a few white stars. Any sign of the Italeri '21s' and the USA serial number have now been overpainted with green. Makes me wonder even more if someone had just copied the kit for painting directions before 😎

• Like 1

Overall black wash is done. Came out kind of heavy as usual and the flash doesn't help, so will be followed up by a drybrush of the green base to tone things down some, then a lighter color for some highlights. Then we need to work on some rust and dirt, and the tracks to finish up. Won't be this weekend, though. I have an all-day road trip on Saturday, and Sunday I have to prepare for Monday's infusion stab session. So that looks like where it's going to have to sit for the weekend. Despite some pains, the Mac conversion may be the only part of my life working well :coolio:.

spacer.png

• Like 4

9 hours ago, PlaStix said:

That's looking rather good!! :clap2:

Kind regards,

Stix

I’m hoping To be done with all the painting except for the tracks by next Sunday. The tracks are a bit of a trick, and hard to paint, since they have both metal and rubber areas. There’s a lot to cover, and not spill over on each other with them. See how it goes. 

• Like 1

Working on the dry brushing, so I can get to the rust and dirt. And the tracks. It's probably rather subtle on the model, if you can see it at all. But the difference between the base OD Green and the SS Camo Highlights I used last is more obvious on the napkin I was wiping my dry brush on. I guess it came out 'okay'. spacer.png

• Like 3

I've added some rust. Some areas came out better than others. Lesson learned for the next time. If there is a next time. Mostly, I now need to do the tracks, and paint a few small details, like  the lights, cupola glass, and whatever it is in the coaxial machine-gun mount. If I can get started on the tracks, I may well finish up in a few days. 

spacer.png

• Like 3

Tracks are base coated now. I used the same Scale75 Slate Grey for the rubber parts as the wheels, along with Thrash Metal for the metallic bits. Total accuracy was not necessary here; I need to cut the tracks off then get them joined, so I can weather them. Which will cover up a lot of any errors. Why Italeri included the two short runs is a mystery; the M47 was not authorized, and did not routinely carry any spare track as part of its standard equipment. Getting close to that finish line with a couple weeks to go.

spacer.png

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Asmodai said:

Why Italeri included the two short runs is a mystery; the M47 was not authorized, and did not routinely carry any spare track as part of its standard equipment.

Possibly Foreign military use ? These were used by quite a number of european and other nations. 

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Possibly Foreign military use ? These were used by quite a number of european and other nations. 

I haven't seen any solid evidence it was practice by anyone. On really any of the Patton series, for that matter. You only see spare track links on M48s in Vietnam, due to mines damaging tracks frequently, and as extra armor because of the introduction of the RPG-7 that could pierce the M48s armor. The Italeri and Testors M47 kits have had the same decal sheet pretty much their entire existence, regardless of the date of the boxing, offering US, German, French, and an Italian machine. None of them need extra track sections. Go figure...

It was inevitable...disaster. I put the first track on okay. Doing the second side, the track broke. In two places. Neither of which was at the join. Trying to fix it, I made it worse. And dropped it, causing the hull to pop apart, and numerous things to fly off or break. I did the only sensible thing then, and finished it off. 😶

I need some time to process this. With two weeks left, and no hobby shops in town, not looking good. And I don’t want to touch another Italeri M47, even though I have one. Got to think this over...🤭

spacer.png

• Sad 4

8 hours ago, PlaStix said:

That is such a shame. Sorry you weren't able to get this one finished.  

Kind regards,

Stix

I am still pretty upset here about it. I guess I should have remembered 'Not meant to be' has been the quote line for my life so far. With less than two weeks to go, it doesn't seem likely I can get in anything else. I'd have to work hard to finish another Italeri kit, or the Takom M47, and it wouldn't be any fun. The closest hobby store is an hour drive, and they won't have anything. Getting something off the internet would have used up even more of what little time is left. I have a 1/100 M60A3 here that is a gaming piece. That's about it...

29 minutes ago, Asmodai said:

I am still pretty upset here about it. I guess I should have remembered 'Not meant to be' has been the quote line for my life so far. With less than two weeks to go, it doesn't seem likely I can get in anything else. I'd have to work hard to finish another Italeri kit, or the Takom M47, and it wouldn't be any fun. The closest hobby store is an hour drive, and they won't have anything. Getting something off the internet would have used up even more of what little time is left. I have a 1/100 M60A3 here that is a gaming piece. That's about it...

Whether you opt to build something else is entirely your choice, and only if you think it's worth it. My comments were just pointing out that your Patton looked very good and I was sorry it didn't survive the fall. If there is anything I can do to help please ask. I did have an idea ? The Austrians used M47 turrets mounted to bunkers as defensive positions.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/missinglynx/emplaced-m-47-turret-questions-t135905.html

Maybe you could salvage your turret and build one of them, it's an idea at least. 

Dennis

• Confused 1