Yet another go around for an old warhorse...the Italeri M47

Asmodai

Well, from where I'm sitting, it's looking very good in it's coat of primer! Hope you manage to get the issues sorted.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Looking very good 👍 ... sorry to hear you're not feeling well. Good to hear you picked up the Takom kit. Are you planning on a standard Iranian M47 or maybe a Sabalan conversion ? If you opt to do a WIP in the future, either way let me know id like to follow the build. 

Dennis

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Well, from where I'm sitting, it's looking very good in it's coat of primer! Hope you manage to get the issues sorted.

Kind regards,

Stix

I think I’m doing okay. I’ll post a picture at some point of the turret join on the real M47 to show what I mean. And maybe make myself feel better! It’s not slapdash Russian early WW2 welding, but it still isn’t especially pretty. I think I have a solution to my muffler problem in the works, too...

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Looking very good 👍 ... sorry to hear you're not feeling well. Good to hear you picked up the Takom kit. Are you planning on a standard Iranian M47 or maybe a Sabalan conversion ? If you opt to do a WIP in the future, either way let me know id like to follow the build. 

Dennis

Not sure on the Takom kit. I have read a bit about the Iran-Iraq War over the years, and find it an interesting subject, although the amount of material you can get in English is still limited. That has improved some the last few years, though. I’ve been careful with my commitments. There have been other group builds or my own build logs or reviews I have might have gotten into, but I am wary of my skills and depth of commitment. I’ve written stuff for Modeling Madness, but that probably averages maybe a piece a year or so, if that! I guess we’ll see on the M47M. The Iranian ones are far more interesting to me than the Spanish machines in the Takom box. There was a company called Star Decals, or something like that; they did some M47 decal sheets, including one for wars in the former Yugoslavia, too. 

Edited by Asmodai
  • Like 1

Yes star decals I'm using on of there M48 sheets for my project. Good decals worked like a charm. I only asked about the Sabalan because i found them while researching for the build. To be sure its definitely an interesting sub-type of the M47. Of course i never did find any A/M for the Sabalan.  So it would have to be scratch built modifications, if one chose to go that route. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Yes star decals I'm using on of there M48 sheets for my project. Good decals worked like a charm. I only asked about the Sabalan because i found them while researching for the build. To be sure its definitely an interesting sub-type of the M47. Of course i never did find any A/M for the Sabalan.  So it would have to be scratch built modifications, if one chose to go that route. 

I have seen some info on the Sabalan, but it looks like it ended up as a showpiece. The Iranians are reluctant to discard anything, and there are definitely some M47s still being held there, but it looks like this tank is in the same category as their 'stealth fighter'. Still an interesting project if a talented modeler can be found. Must have missed the post about you using some of the Star Decals for your project :( 

Edited by Asmodai
  • Like 1

I survived another infusion, but not much time for modeling when you have to work all day, and have six hours worth of strange goo squirted into you when you get home. So, I've lost a few days to that, and trying to get over it. But at least my Mr. Surfacer 500 jar isn't dried up, so I can continue my quest to be the last person to finish this build...

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Asmodai... Just curious to see if your feeling any better ? Also letting everyone know we’re at the halfway point in the build. If theres anything i can do please let me know. 

Dennis

Thanks for asking. Struggling with some things, besides/and the model. Things I thought would be easy have been difficult, and the things I thought would be difficult kind of were. I've made some progress, and was planning on posting some sort of update this weekend, even if the news wasn't much, or the greatest. I'm still planning on finishing. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Can i help ? If its any consolation Ive had some issues with a head cold throwing my diabetes off. So i can kind of feel where you're coming from. 

Thanks for the offer, but unless you know a place selling dignity or self respect, not feeling overly talkative. Which is not good for a message board. I probably mentioned a while back my prototype M47 was missing part of its exhaust system. I finished work on that, which was probably more than it was worth. Besides leaving off the guards, I made a mold of a master part, and reproduced a couple copies of the exhaust pipes, to give me these bits that were not part of the kit. The second photo shows them posing. Clean up the glue marks and they'll be ready to go. 

Meanwhile, still working on cleaning up the turret and gun barrel mess. Maybe green paint, before this build ends?

IMG_5630_zpsdlj3pmsb.jpg

IMG_5632_zpsjzli7drv.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I'm sure the Takom M47's are very good, but this is reminding me of just how good some of these old Italeri 1/35 kits are. This one is looking very neat indeed. Great build.

Terry

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

I'm sure the Takom M47's are very good, but this is reminding me of just how good some of these old Italeri 1/35 kits are. This one is looking very neat indeed. Great build.

Terry

Thanks, and I certainly agree that the Italeri kit is still a viable option all these years later. It missed the mark in a few places, but overall was a superlative effort for 1979. Tough to remember now for all the young 'uns out there, but this and the Leopard 1A2 were as good or better than any other armor kits out there at the time. Italeri's prior efforts had been pretty crude, and Tamiya was just leaving the carpet crawler era behind then...

Meanwhile, I am plugging away at the tires, so I can get the suspension on and begin weathering, with less than half my time left. Also, switching from PC to Mac in the middle of this build is not helping.

• Like 1

Still getting through the tires. Ugh. Maybe a pic before the holiday weekend is over here. They're all painted and mounted; just need some cleanup. Decals, weathering, tracks...seems a million miles away still. 

• Like 1

I guess I have some mixed news, instead of the pic today. The running gear is all on; just needs some touch up to be ready for the weathering stage. As to the news, it looks like I will have plenty of time, and no excuses not to finish the build now. I will be off the entire final month of June, and beyond, as my employer has furloughed much of the workforce due to 'poor business conditions'. Good thing I already have everything I need and beyond to finish this kit...

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Wow... Of course it is good to know you will finish. But thats a heck of a punch to the head ? Sorry your laid off until work improves. I hope it doesn't last too long and you don't lose a lot of your savings while waiting. 

Dennis

We'll be covered by unemployment insurance, but that is quite a bit less than most people there were making that had been there any length of time, myself included. The company is clearly not doing well, so there are no guarantees long term. So it goes. I suppose I have more time for reading the M47 manual starting next week....

• Sad 1

I am still alive. Coping with work, medical, social, Mac conversion, and all other kinds of problems. Here is where I am with about a month to go - Running gear and everything else is base coated, attached, and touched up (sort of). All but the tracks. Now that the running gear is on, I can seal, decal, seal again, and begin weathering. I didn't do a first class effort on the green/rubber parts of the wheels. A lot of it won't be seen, or will be weathered. Scale75 Warfront Slate Grey SW-42 is a good dark grey 'rubber' color without being black. I am pleased with how it looks in person. 

spacer.png

• Like 3

Added gloss coat, and then decals. Now must let dry before sealing over again, so I can weather the decal areas too, without damage. I had to use parts of two sheets to get the markings more or less correct. Not a big deal, as I have(had) three of these kits. As I said before, I am less than certain that the vehicle in the museum is the actual one Italeri included on the sheet. I'm thinking someone at the museum copied the Italeri kit instructions when a repaint was needed there. There are some slight discrepancies I was mostly able to correct using the appropriate sized markings from two sheets. Looks like some waiting for drying time now for a few days. 

spacer.png

• Like 2