F-86H wings - slatted but not drooped!

RidgeRunner

All, 

i intend - when time in the schedule permits - to build a Maryland ANG F-86H 52-2110 "The Powerhouse". In researching I have downloaded many images of the Maryland ANG fleet and I have just noticed that while these aircraft had slatted wings (short type), almost all images show the LE flaps retracted while parked. My question is whether this is a peculiarity of the H-model? Any ideas? Thanks.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

I think the slats had to be pinned for them to remain up like that

I think that's correct, although I have read that they could be pushed shut and would stay shut until bumped, but some other accounts I have read stated that if properly adjusted, they would roll out unless pinned. IIRC on A-4 Skyhawks they would always extend on their own, but were kept shut by a bungee cord instead of a pin. On the F-86H slats, according to the Joe Baugher website:

The 1st 14 F-86H's had the standard span/chord slatted wing

The 15th and subsequent had the standard span, 6-3 wing

The last ten F-86H-10's were fitted with the F-40 extended span 6-3 wing with slats and almost all remaining H's in the USAF and ANG inventory were retrofitted with this wing. (So, as the wise Troy Smith so often says, better to have a photo of the one you want to build, as it could have either the standard span 6-3 wing or the F-40 wing, depending on the time of the photo.) Not a Sabre  expert by any means, so it might be best to wait for the oracle, @Sabrejet to weigh in on this one!

Mike

We are soooo overdue for a state of the art 1/72 F-86A/E/F/D/H/K/L...take your pick; they're all luvverly!

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Like 1

Ooh, that's a purty one, Martin! Never noticed it before, but the hubs on the mainwheels on the H model were different than those on the A/E/F models. Guess they were stronger to cater to the increased weight of the airframe  and stores? What- no dayglo or arctic conspicuity markings? 😜

Mike

Hard to tell, as the wingtip isn't in view, but going by the 0-prefixed serial number, I would bet that this H has had the F-40 wing fitted- SJ will know for sure, I would imagine. I couldn't find the ones that had the F-40 wings retrofitted by their serial numbers in any of my Sabre references.

Edited by 72modeler
added text

Hi Mike, 

BTW, this isn't my subject. I posted it in the hope that someone could tell me if it is an F-40 wing. ;). Mine subject is a more colourful MD ANG machine. :)

M

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

What- no dayglo or arctic conspicuity markings? 😜

Patience, patience ;)

On 3/25/2019 at 7:26 AM, RidgeRunner said:

Ah ha, so modelling slatted Sabres with "all hanging out" is not essential for any Sabre, actually?

You may well be correct in that? I also noticed from the Ginter book that the majority of the a/c had the airbrakes closed when parked. I don't know if they had a different hydraulic system or it was just the way they chose the pics.

Peter