Idf, m60 a1 blazer

Hewy

Not a lot to show for a full session, but I've got started, I've glued the Hull sides together and made a start on the photo etch, in a vain attempt to bling this old kit up a bit, here you can see eduard instructs you to remove the fender  brackets there's no way you can do this without obliterating  those details plus it sits in a groove, so I removed the mudguards first this allowed me to tidily wizz the bracket off , 

vwWFJtG.jpg

gSkcjiK.jpg

And fitted, mudguards reattached 

gX40ymS.jpg

A bit of a gap horror story here, I've put some plasticard behind the gaps I was going to use filler but I used very thin card stock instead

NLzAkai.jpg

That looks a little better, when the top and bottom are glued those gaps should close up, I've removed the mud gaurd plasticard reinforcement from under the fenders too

5RwPxiW.jpg

EvGJka5.jpg

Cheers all

Glynn 

• Like 6

I've had a  good day at it today, trying to get the main bits together ready for the photo etch, also it's an easy kit to build, I've got the main turret parts together, a few more to add then I'd better bite the bullet and do the wheels, I should be able to join the upper and lower halfs tomorrow 

r10QRKu.jpg

OaynHHN.jpg

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Off to a cracking start Glynn, broke out the PE already!

Seems to build up quite nicely (other than the gaps on the hull) and quite quickly too, might have to have a look for an M60 at Cosford on Sunday, though I do have an M47 I'm supposed to be building.

Thanks Craig, good job you reminded me I'd not realised it was Cosford, old school kits  are great  for rapid progress aren't they? , it took longer to fill over those holes in the Hull  sides  than the the pe bits 

• Like 1

Hi Glynn. Good progress so far. I had the same problem with that horrible gap around the rear sprocket. I'll have to try filling it with some card and also hope that the sprocket and tracks hide most of it. BTW. When you join the upper and lower halves you'll fine that there are no locating pegs, just large lugs on the inside. Unfortunately, this allows a bit of backwards and forwards movement, so make sure you have it in the right place before gluing.

John.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Hi Glynn. Good progress so far. I had the same problem with that horrible gap around the rear sprocket. I'll have to try filling it with some card and also hope that the sprocket and tracks hide most of it. BTW. When you join the upper and lower halves you'll fine that there are no locating pegs, just large lugs on the inside. Unfortunately, this allows a bit of backwards and forwards movement, so make sure you have it in the right place before gluing.

John.

Heads up duly noted John, thanks,  

18 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Great work so far Glynn, the P/E looks like it will definiely add to this. I agree with the older kits building quickly. My M48 is virtually done minus painting, and some minor bits & pieces to be added after paint. 

Thanks dennis, there will be a lot of chopping about done for sure before I'm ready for a lick of paint , your moving at quite a pace on your main build, you'll have to do a 72nd scale kit for pudding at this rate

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

John.

I'm using a kit based on the same chassis - the Academy Magach 7, whilst there's no locating pins (other than the large cutouts around the inside to go over the return roller pegs inside), it does have a poly-cap that can be used to locate/lock the upper and lower hull together - do your versions not have this?

Edited by Scargsy
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Scargsy said:

do your versions not have this?

Yes mine does scargsy although I'd rather glue it together i could use that for locating purposes 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Scargsy said:

I'm using a kit based on the same chassis - the Academy Magach 7, whilst there's no locating pins (other than the large cutouts around the inside to go over the return roller pegs inside), it does have a poly-cap that can be used to locate/lock the upper and lower hull together - do your versions not have this?

Yes, the Gal Batash kit does have it, but it was such a tight fit and pushed the two halves apart that I decided against using it.

John.

• Like 3

Hi Glynn. Great to see your build underway and off to a good start. It does sound like these kits from Academy have some 'intersting' left overs from being motorised.

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Glynn. Great to see your build underway and off to a good start. It does sound like these kits from Academy have some 'intersting' left overs from being motorised.

Kind regards,

Stix 

Yes a bit clunky and simplified around the running gear, there's only so much you can do, I reckon it'll polish up OK though, 

• Like 1

In what may be a vain effort to make the running gear at least slightly resemble an m60 I've slightly modified the running gear, I've cut off the locating lugs  and lifted the suspension arms, they are now about 1.6 mm from the bump stops, this also makes the dampers locate on the arms, with a little fettle, I've also altered the front idler wheel  bar , making it connect to the front arm as it should, and I've done a bit more pe to th upper hull, I know it's not actually replicating the 1/1 running gear but it's a little closer

I've got some meng nuts and bolts for a little more detail

Maybe a little more m60 ish

bx2J7IA.jpg

Damper locating holes filled, and suspension lowered

cOyihi5.jpg

v79w2FA.jpg

5z0n9kq.jpg

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Very nice work on the suspension. :thumbsup:  1.6 mm's is good i think the article i read online was 2 mm so you're definitely close to perfect on that.

Thanks den at least I haven't gone overboard for once👍

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Good fix Glynn. I've done something similar, but I won't clog up your thread with the details.

John.

I don't mind John, I look to forward seeing your fix all the same, concerning the paint I'm going with the  idf sinai 82 colour which I'm going to mix with a simple recipe from an "andys hobby headquarters" you tube video  its equal parts xf 66  light grey and xf49 khaki  and looks convincing enough 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Asmodai said:

The many joys of the carpet crawler era of model armor continue to bring joy! Good to see things well along. 

If you can't breath a bit of life into these old clunkers what's it all for😜

3 hours ago, Hewy said:

If you can't breath a bit of life into these old clunkers what's it all for😜

I just read Mike's review of the new Meng Gal Batash in the AFV review section. Talk about chalk and cheese!

John.

• Haha 1

Some lovely alterations and remedies going on there Glynn. I hope you realise that by dropping the suspension you're going to need longer tracks - only a tiny bit longer, but with some kits, or AM tracks, that might be a critical factor.

When it comes to fixing the upper and lower hulls together, if they've got nylon bush and pin fixings and the joins are good, I don't bother gluing the halves together. I figure that I might want to upgrade, rework, or in some other way add to the model at a future date and separating the upper and lower hull might be of great benefit.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1