Idf, m60 a1 blazer

Hewy

7 hours ago, Badder said:

Some lovely alterations and remedies going on there Glynn. I hope you realise that by dropping the suspension you're going to need longer tracks - only a tiny bit longer, but with some kits, or AM tracks, that might be a critical factor.

When it comes to fixing the upper and lower hulls together, if they've got nylon bush and pin fixings and the joins are good, I don't bother gluing the halves together. I figure that I might want to upgrade, rework, or in some other way add to the model at a future date and separating the upper and lower hull might be of great benefit.

Rearguards,

Badder

Thanks badder all the Hull pe is done and the blazer armour is on  so I can test fit the tracks later on before paint , I reckon the the tracks will actually be a bit too long, as I've lowered the body and contracted the suspension,  anyway not to worry either way badder I've seen some nice styrene early  magach  link tracks from wolfpack the picture that advertises them is with the academy kit and they retail for about £14 or so, these will get me out of the poop if it goes belly up 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hewy said:

I reckon the the tracks will actually be a bit too long, as I've lowered the body and contracted the suspension, 

Ah. My mistake.  I assumed you'd dropped the suspension arms and raised the body.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

The Hull is just about ready for paint,  I just noticed I've forgot the hinges on the engine doors, and the turret isn't far off, after looking at idf magach 6's on the net I noticed that some of them while prowling the streets  of the Lebanon have the gun barrel deflected down to what must be its lowest point,it looks in some photos to be nearly touching the fenders , so I thought I'd try to replicate that, the blazer armour hides the fact that the mantle cover isn't appropriately extended, but it won't be the only thing wrong about this model,  I've also tried dent and damage the tops and sides of the fenders and storage boxes a bit, hard to belive  but the suspension is actually lowered here, 

NNB8jXa.jpg

mvCBMMY.jpg

NX3FcXp.jpg

P0aftiv.jpg

ouQE8HS.jpg

r6YhF0l.jpg

dINe96V.jpg

• Like 5

Wow! You are really motoring on with this one despite the issues with the kit. I like the idea of the lowered gun. The PE looks to be adding lots of finer detail to the old kit! Great stuff. 

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Thanks 1

Thanks fellas, I appreciate your comments, constuction just about done, only the guns to add, I'll touch a few areas up and clean it up and I'm going to give it a coat of black

w2Och80.jpg

a7eAr8G.jpg

x0w2ZRR.jpg

PRoh6pb.jpg

2WprW83.jpg

• Like 6

I thought I'd strike while the iron was hot and give it  a lick of paint, patience is not one of my strong points, paint is the 50x50 mix I mentioned in an earlier post of  xf49 khaki and xf 66 light grey, how it stands at the minute, the pre highlighting didn't really work out, the paint was thin enough, but maybe not enough contrast as I used buff not white, 

tU6tRaK.jpg

clqAAYY.jpg

Here you can see my daughters tank wheel painting tool, which has been successfully masking all my tank wheels of the last three  or four builds, a gods send for 99p

I must clean it up and pop it back into her pencil case, after the tiger gb of course, cheers all, hope you like the colour, I'll weather the bejesus out of it next🤓

Vx9MrIL.jpg

• Like 7

Hi Glynn. I can understand why you might be concerned but I reckon you have nailed the paintwork. I really like the subtle effects you have achieved. This is going to be another stunning model! :clap2:

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, badger said:

That looks excellent!!!

The wheel masking tool is ingenious - must look out for one of those.

All the best

Ben

Thanks Ben, I admit its all a bit easier in this scale, 

2 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Glynn. I can understand why you might be concerned but I reckon you have nailed the paintwork. I really like the subtle effects you have achieved. This is going to be another stunning model! :clap2:

Kind regards,

Stix 

Thanks stix much appreciated mate, basic painting now finished, a  little chipping next, oh yes  and some white stripes on the barrel, still to do

Glynn 

qJIjt83.jpg

4L3jiWO.jpg

16nkiAZ.jpg

• Like 7

Glossed, barrel marked up, I'll do the chipping in enamels, then if I go ott (again) I can remove it easily, decals soon, BTW, the tracks aren't playing fair, they are a couple of links too big now I've lowered it down but that isn't the main problem, it's the fact that they're very springy and  firm, and don't conform at all, still the hairdryer, and hot water treatment yet  to try though, and some acetate in the peep holes😁

Regarding the barrel markings, granted the white stripe down the barrel I've only seen on a couple of idf tanks up to yet I don't know what this depicts, but the stripes on the barrel mean battalion so it's 2 battalion 

pW0iaMd.jpg

Edited by Hewy
  • Like 7

Cheers, stix, Craig, useful piece of modelling kit that 🙄, don't know if you noticed  what seems like a complete colour change from the previous post, but it's not,  only the barrel markings, and gloss, I've  finally grown accustomed to the gloss coat darkening and levelling everything out and for the second time, after  the panzer shlipperslapper  have taken it into account, and I reckon its the look I was after, so up to yet its a good  one, this Could all change as you know,    " the right track?" , maybe! 

Edited by Hewy
  • Like 1

Stunningly fast progress, but skilful and artistic as always. Not quite as 'crazy' as your:

26 minutes ago, Hewy said:

shlippershlapper  (I corrected your spelling Glynn)

but  wonderfully 'busy' with details. The pre-shading looks to have worked well, to my eyes anyway, as has your 'eye' for an interesting/more unusual AFV of a particular type.

4 hours ago, Hewy said:

white stripe down the barrel I've only seen on a couple of idf tanks up to yet I don't know what this depicts,

This is conjecture on my part, but I'm thinking its there for one of two reasons and they both have to do with the fact that the stripe is narrow and only on the very top of the barrel.

1. In a battle situation, it might be that air cover can more easily see where the tank's barrel is pointing, and thereby get an immediate bearing on the enemy target.

most especially at night in star/moonlight, or at dusk.

2. It could be a 'friendly' identification marking, visible again to air cover and not to those at the wrong end of the barrel or to the side.

As always, I stand to be corrected.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Badder said:

could be a 'friendly' identification marking, visible again to air cover and not to those at the wrong end of the barrel or

That's my guess too badder, in the yom kippur conflict most idf  afv's had a broad white stripe down the centre for air recognition,but  a lot thicker, I like your directional theory though too, convincing! 

Not to worry though badder, crazy will appear soon or later, the colours fell together early for the shlipperslapper 🤓, there's still hope yet, cheers pal

Glynn 

• Haha 1

Hi, 

Looking good - I've been testing colours for my IDF Patton too, I bought the Vallejo IDF colours to check but their 'sinai grey' looks a bit dark to me, the XF-66 and XF-49 mix looks a better mix -  though I've never seen any of this stuff in the metal!

I've heard that the white markings down the top of the barrel are for the tank commander, so he can identify which direction it's pointing in low visibility conditions, the vertical stripes might well be unit markings (I've never really questioned what they're for, other than possibly to breakup the profile) - did your kit come with decals for this? Mine has decals for the top but I seriously question my ability to align them correctly - might need to just mask and paint it. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Scargsy said:

your kit come with decals for this

Thanks scargsy, glad you like it so far the barrel markings are painted, there aren't any in the kit, the ones that go around the barrel are battalion markings, 2nd battalion =2 stripes and which way round the chevron points on the side  ^>v< denotes it's company , pointing down is  1st company. Pointing forward is 2nd company, up 3rd, decals yet to go on are Hebrew letters and numbers, the number is its  platoon, and the letter is its position within the platton, great isn't it you only start out building an old carpet crawler kit and you end up a Flippin idf armour recognition  nut 🤓

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 14/04/2019 at 14:45, Asmodai said:

Things are coming along great there. I’m pretty sure I won’t be the first one to finish!

You maybe will, I reckon I'm going to push the boat out and get the wolfpack magach tracks, they may take a while to come🤔

8 hours ago, Silenoz said:

what a pace, what a pace, but nicely painted, that's for sure...

Thanks silenoz, sometimes I get a lot of modelling time, not always but this weekend was one of those, and I don't get bored with sitting at the bench, I really must get out more😜,  also I've put together the cupola machine gun in Mr eduards photo etch, it's very delicate, the barrel is the smallest I could roll the PE, but the end fits very well, so I couldn't have been that far off, by the way the close ups are cruel, 

First with the kit part 

cFpcUL5.jpg

O04AvMJ.jpg

vF5xv58.jpg

Also for the  main gun I've got a well molded 50cal from an italeri sherman calliope I did in a gb last year, it knocks the academy one into a clocked hat so with the help of Mr eduard that will be next, 

Thanks to all who've commented on the build so far it's very much appreciated 

Glynn 

Edited by Hewy
  • Like 3