Vietnam Patton

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Dont know if I’ll be the first, Im just starting to paint the stowage and bags. I added the dust cover to the Mantlet and that will have to set/Dry then be painted. I figure a week to pick out the stowage in color. Then i can gloss for decals, satin coat, & weathering. I have the wheels and return rollers painted green.

Right now I'm stuck there, I'm out of black until i can get to the hobby shop. I haven't even begun the tracks yet, they wont take long as I'm using the rubber bands from the kit. However they're molded in silver? So will need some serious work to get to look somewhat acceptable. If i have to guess 3-4 weeks of work. Though to be honest this is probably the most effort I've put into a tank since the 90’s. I was on a serious Sherman kick then and a couple of those I'm still very proud of. 

Dennis

Fair do's Dennis, take your time and enjoy it, and be proud of this one too👍

• Thanks 1

Hello everybody... Spent a few hours starting the stowage and sandbags. Still needs a bit of work but were getting closer to my vision. 

bmVfmd9.jpg

0cCCi1Z.jpg

LrQW8ZQ.jpg

JlgtiGh.jpg

98g0dKd.jpg

Because of a very kind gift from a member. I now have the decal sheet from Star decals. 1st Marine tank Battalion C-Coy company 1970. 

TGfhRiS.png

More specifically this tank is the one i am building. 

tkL1qAT.png

The one with the red cover/Deaths head on the light.

I believe these two tanks. 

owLaqBM.png

↕️

xZi9VuE.jpg

Are the same tank at two different times. My thoughts focus around the “Death” light cover. It appears to be identical artwork. That is the premise and reason i am building my tank with attributes of both photo’s. I could be a simple change from red to black as one got damaged and was repaired/replaced. Or as simple as one crew went home and another took over the tank and changed the color from black to red/gold (the USMC colors BTW). Questions, comments, thoughts, or jokes please. 

Dennis

• Like 5

Hello ... For todays update not much work has been done. I spend several minutes at a time staring and deciding “is this good enough ?” or “does it look right ?”. Then i add a lick of paint here a dash of color there. I think after several days i have got it to the point where it can be clear coated in preparation for decals and weathering. Here is where we are as of today. If anyone thinks i should add/subtract/change anything please say so ?  

cJftby6.jpg

gRfOxma.jpg

aFx3i6n.jpg

Pv0kKub.jpg

uvzS1sh.jpg

My goal is to clear it in a couple of days. Then i can move forward with it. Questions, comments, or jokes. 

Dennis

• Like 8

Maybe late now, but despite what the decal sheet shows, I would tone down or eliminate the blue of the cupola glass and periscopes. On the real thing, there is not really much of any color to it, as depending on the situation not much light may be showing through these. Just my opinion. This thread on Armorama discussing various non standard .50 cal mounting points has some good pics of the cupola and its glass as well. 

https://armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=247647

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Asmodai said:

I would tone down or eliminate the blue of the cupola glass and periscopes. On the real thing, there is not really much of any color to it,

Already done actually, that was a base coat they are actually a dark blue black. Heres what they look like now.

Xcqq23E.jpg

ezwEbwt.jpg

sExdJih.jpg

vtBTVli.jpg

Not perfect but better. 

Dennis

• Like 3

Ok everyone... So i was finally able to tackle the decals today. They're on and drying, still need a second maybe third coat of Microsol in a few spots. Especially the aerial recognition numbers on the engine deck, and the sharks mouth on the hull front. But here she is as of right now. 

ImzZOIb.jpg

aASfK3v.jpg

roU2N1n.jpg

vHFckso.jpg

RZ1O0sX.jpg

CLewD15.jpg

Questions, Comments, good stories always and as usual are welcome.

Dennis 

• Like 7

Sorry Craig i didn't see your post and for some reason it never showed up in my notifications ? 

I put a base coat of orangey-brown color if dust on the Patton then i sprayed it with a satin coat. I will need to add more orangey-brown dust, as well as the same color mud on the lower hull. I also blackened the tip of the barrel with some sooty color to indicate use. Its not much yet its a start towards weathering. 

tXinzwR.jpg

4wqxhNu.jpg

OuDaRYf.jpg

pyZL4JI.jpg

LboB33w.jpg

Questions, comments, stories, or jokes ? 

Dennis

• Like 6

I spent Saturday night actually painting and touching up the tires on the running gear.

HCYL1uW.jpg

I was going to do this post last night. However the server switch occurred just before i was able to. Next up is the Mud ! I still need to figure that one out, so it may be a few days before i post again. 

Dennis

• Like 4

Hello everybody... The grand experiment has begun, i have applied the MUD ! Its looking good so far but its wet. I will photograph it later tonight and add photo’s, once it has had time to dry. I have done all 3 armor vehicles at the same time. The Patton here, the M3 Lee in the Trainers Group build. And from my 1st ever group build. The M10 Achilles from the M3/4 Lee/Sherman group build from last year. 

• Like 1

That's one filthy tank! Like the coloured areas as they really add interest to an otherwise drab scheme.

Stowage looks spot on as well.

All the best

Ben

• Thanks 1

Hello everybody... well little by little i get closer to the final product. Ive added the running gear minus the drive sprockets.

XhOaMOe.jpg

YcgfyTD.jpg

Those will wait until i mount the tracks. The rest of the stowage, a couple of oil cans and some “C” ration boxes have been added. The one exception to the stowage will be a surprise for the final unveiling. Next up are the tracks and crew. Seen posed on the tank in the locations. 

nGEvBms.jpg

Im not the best with figure painting so will do my best. Just don't be to disappointed if they turn up looking like funky bloated stick figures.   

Dennis

• Like 3