Vietnam Patton

Hello all I will attempt to build This Tamiya M48. 

OlfboTl.jpg

My goal is to build this Tank.

vQIP2uX.png

My backup choice will be this one with the Twin .50 mount.

PVC8HWI.jpg

Im also planning on adding a sizable amount of stowage, as well as some grenades i like grenades. 😉  I like this photo as its exactly what I am looking to do. 

x7oB0Nn.jpg

Here are the obligatory sprue shots.  a40DBTE.jpg

mLeJbW8.jpg

1eEDRkI.jpg

DE6mRpV.jpg

I have already done a little bit of work to this. I needed to mold some sandbags for my primary choice. So i had to add the required bits that go under the bags. 

78IlVor.jpg

Before ⬆️ After ⬇️

MePgShi.jpg

VtaGNYf.jpg

I posted the work i did over in the chat thread. Heres the finished bags minus paint. 

tgvyRRL.jpg

NnNuBdG.jpg

9nq2vlV.jpg

The three ammo cans on the left fender are just sitting there mocked up. They're not glued on yet. This is as she sits currently. The Turret is not glued and is just mocked to get the gun angle im wanting. 

QN1BdBO.jpg

EI2SwIh.jpg

Questions, comments, or jokes if you want to. See everyone next week. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 7

4 minutes ago, Plasto said:

Have you seen Paul Budzik’s Patton build

No i hadn't ? I admit its great work but im probably not going to get that detailed. I figure if i finish this it will be a success. I have no idea how busy im going to be with the build so just opted to go for something easy. 

Dennis 

• Like 1

This might work ? Printable mini umbrellas. 

https://paraligo.com/en/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2014/06/Umbrellas1.pdf

You print it out on paper, and can build the structure out of plastic strip or balsa ? The British flag or Pirate flag will work. 

• Haha 2

Hi Dennis,

Good luck with your build - my favourite mark of all the Pattons. Would be great to see some tiger's teeth on it, but the brolly would do.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

On 3/25/2019 at 8:39 AM, Badder said:

Would be great to see some tiger's teeth on it, but the brolly would do.

Oh im doing “Death” like the photo with the Jaws and teeth. I just like the idea of using the Brolly. Like i said im not sure which type i will use. I could go floral print much like the one in the photos. But i really like the idea that a crew bought a large pirate flag or possibly a confederate union jack. Took it to a local “mama-san” to stitch it into the umbrella cover. Then again i may use the U.K. Flag as a nod to the forum. 

Vietnam sadly has a Familial connection of sorts. Im named after an uncle that died in country in October of 1967. He was covertly trained as a Dog handler/Jungle Tracker by the British in Malaysia. Sometime early summer in 1967 then was sent to Vietnam. Here he is with 4 of his Gurkha instructors. Ive met one of them, sadly im not quite sure. Though i believe its the chap all the way to the left. 

UMk7LPV.jpg

And here he is just a week before being killed with his team. Combat tracker team #8. They’re enjoying some cold cokes and local cooking at “Mamasan’s hootch”. He is the last man sitting down with the M-16 next to him on an angle.yVEnevV.jpg

Ive actually met two of the gentleman in the photo, and have gone to several of the reunions. Here he is just shortly before going to Vietnam. TV9myer.jpg

His medals including Bronze star with “V” for valor, Purple heart, two Air medals( blue/yellow one medal two cotations), and others. PcWhtCt.jpg

His unit was 1st Cavalry, 9 squadron. Not sure why the Cavalry uses the term squadrons but they do. This was the patch they wore. Lbrx7sI.jpg

And a link to their website. Run by one of the gentlemen in the hootch photo. Warning there are some not so pretty photo’s of combat situations. 

http://www.combattrackerteam.org/

Questions or comments are welcomed, and thank you for this slight indulgence.

Dennis

♦️EDIT: The tracker website is currently up.  I will continue to check and see if it comes and goes. ♦️

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Hello everybody... I did a little work today in the way of filling the holes on the pattons belly. LRhpOy9.jpg

That will take a bit more filler but at least it will be solid. I also started playing around with some stowage for the crew. 

3fKfWYj.jpg

Not complete by any shake of a stick. I still need to glue the mufflers, bustle rack, and other bits. Then i can come up with a more permanent layout. I have more sandbags from a failed first attempt and raw material so i may add bags to the turret ? Not sure about that yet. Questions, comments, or jokes ? 

Dennis

• Like 6

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 5:46 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Not sure why the Cavalry uses the term squadrons but they do.

Hi Dennis,

A poignant back-story, unfortunately the link you supplied doesn't work - my internet provider 'can't find it'.

As for the use of the word 'Squadron' it applies to a unit of two or more flights of Wingy things and their crews, two or more troops of an Armoured or Cavalry regiment, and a group of warships detached on a particular duty, or under the command of a flag officer.

The word squadron originally referred to a 'fighting square' from the days when troops formed up in blocks on the battlefield.

Rearguards

Badder

• Thanks 1

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 10:34 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Questions, comments, or jokes ? 

I really like the structural forms of the Patton's lower and upper hull; the engine grills at the rear, and the curved glacis/hull at the front. Personally, I'd try to limit covering those nice details up (except with mud) but I understand the requirement for sand bags and stowage in some places. Of course, if you do cover up those nice details, a pretty umbrella will make up for it.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Badder said:

unfortunately the link you supplied doesn't work - my internet provider 'can't find it'.

My apologies, i checked myself and don't know what happened. It was working when i placed the link. Their webpage has been having diffulculties off and on for some time now. I thought they had solved the issue but see it is still on going. I will keep a look out and if it comes back up, i will let people know if they're interested. I understand what you mean about the 48’s hull BTW. However like in any conflict, the crews added any extra protection the could. I was just trying to make it look a little more lifelike, rather than a museums tank. I was even going to attempt a crew.  Oh I just remembered that there is a book written by Susan Merritt. Her husband and her operate the website. Im not sure if the book is available as an e-book but heres a bit of info. Frank Merritt was a close friend of my uncle, and on Combat Tracker team Seven. Sadly Frank was in a hospital when my uncle was killed. 

https://www.amazon.com/Seek-Susan-Merritt/dp/1609113373

Dennis

• Like 1

Hello everyone... I was able to get a good jump on the M48. I built up the lower hull and the suspension. Still need a bit more filler in the long thin opening. 

dbYNKCT.jpg

Yejw90I.jpg

WIk6Fwj.jpg

Everything minus tow hooks, road wheels, sprockets, and return rollers. Those will get painted before being mounted. The tow hooks will be added right before i paint the hull, less chance of snagging and breakage. Once i did the lower hull, i moved onto the upper hull. I added the rest of the boxes and mufflers to the work i already have done.

06SwhBF.jpg

While that was drying and setting i started to finalize my stowage. Here is where i think im going to be with the hull stowage. 

eTOxTMV.jpg

Heres the mid thought on the turret stowage.

BXgUnL7.jpg

LvDxhpo.jpg

Again i still need to add the bustle rack and commanders cupola turret, to really finalize this area of stowage. The gunners .50 is just sitting there for the moment on the tripod. I have a standard pintle mount that is more likely to be used. As much as i like the tripod. Its hard to figure out if it was welded to the turret, or held down with sandbags. Questions, comments, or jokes if you please ? 

Dennis

• Like 4

Good progress so far Dennis. With regards to the infantry phone question. Some of the info that I have is from a 30 year old article in MM by Vasko Barbic (there's a name from the past), and in it he is converting the Tamiya kit into a Magach. He states that the infantry telephone box is too big and needs to be cut in half. Now, I don't know if that's just  for IDF versions, or if the kit part is oversize anyway. Might be worth asking anyone who has the Dragon kit of the M48 about the size of the telephone box in that kit.

John.

• Thanks 1

Hello everyone... I think i have somewhat of a big issue. I just took stock and realized in the last 32 hours. I have spent 13 of them building this tank. SWMBO loves it because im not in her way. I have got to the point where most of the tank is ready. The lower hull is done minus tracks and running gear.

WIk6Fwj.jpg

The upper hull is done with 80-90% of the stowage in place.

BeND0Cv.jpg

coj4OWx.jpg

AOzRVMX.jpg

hmpFMXb.jpg

wmUcBwO.jpg

wk2vcUz.jpg

NqqGFlR.jpg

xLYaLUv.jpg

qKSWq1u.jpg

The turret is done with about 50-60% of the turret stowage done. Some of the stowage on the turret is just placed for the photo.

The cardboard boxes will have to wait until after the painting to be attached. Im attaching the stowage before painting, as i will black base the whole thing. I can then build up color over the armor. This way I will use less armor green, as i don't need to paint everything. I can then paint the stowage individually after the tank. Once thats been done i can blend it all together. Probably using an orange-red dust color, from my pastels to mimic the very famous Vietnam clay dust. Questions, comments, or jokes if anyone has a good one ? 

Dennis

• Like 2