Short Skyvan, Airfix 1/72

1 hour ago, Moa said:

(Confession, just for you:

A few months ago I bought another kit of it)

Mum's the word.

I have this kit, but still can't decide how to paint it . I can't decide whether to paint it white or make it a colored bird ...,-)

11 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Agree! The NASA usage caught me by surprise as well.

A Skyvan appeared as a 2019 donation at Jet Age, which I bought.

Airfix-Skyvan-FS.jpg

I believe NASA used them during trials for satellite payload recovery,  BUT I cound find NO specific photos or other information.

Nice build.

I have one in my stash too. Strange looking plane. Thin long wings and a big body reminds me of a bumble bee which scientists say should not be able to fly!

Dave

• Haha 1

@Moa,

Claudio, you really know how to push the edge of the envelope! I had one of these but traded it for something else a long time ago; after looking at the excellent model of yours, I am sorry I let it go. The Skyvan always looked like they took wings out of a packing crate, attached them, and flew it away! Looks like it should have a dwarf and several post-apocalypse teen-agers peering from the windows over a barren wasteland! That being said, that's the prettiest Skyvan model I have seen! :like:

Mike

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, davecov said:

Nice build.

I have one in my stash too. Strange looking plane. Thin long wings and a big body reminds me of a bumble bee which scientists say should not be able to fly!

Dave

Strange indeed!

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/life/features/93a2d/30624895.ece/AUTOCROP/w1000/NWS_2014-09-30_OPI_012_33058711_I1.JPG

NWS_2014-09-30_OPI_012_33058711_I1.JPG

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, 72modeler said:

@Moa,

Claudio, you really know how to push the edge of the envelope! I had one of these but traded it for something else a long time ago; after looking at the excellent model of yours, I am sorry I let it go. The Skyvan always looked like they took wings out of a packing crate, attached them, and flew it away! Looks like it should have a dwarf and several post-apocalypse teen-agers peering from the windows over a barren wasteland! That being said, that's the prettiest Skyvan model I have seen! :like:

Mike

😝

I just pulled the other kit I have from storage.

I didn't realize that this second boxing I have is the latest (afaik: 2002, original 1974, yikes!!! 46 years ago!) and the molds are super-clean, almost no flash and almost no sink marks, opposite the one posted here which had plenty of those.

I am thinking British Airways...or another one that I will keep close to my chest for the moment.

I am fondling the parts as we speak...oh, memories...

That is really cool but, I can't help but think it would be funny if you built a really HUGE pair of clown shoes for the cargo area...

The real Skyvan looks like a shoe box with wings. 😉 👍🏽  (My apologies if I have offended any clowns)

• Haha 3

On 8/20/2020 at 2:41 AM, Moa said:

(Confession, just for you:

A few months ago I bought another kit of it)

Mum's the word.

Oh Sooo, Are you going to make an USAFE one ??

CC

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Bangseat said:

Lovely to see Moa - a great fun aircraft with so many interesting stories and a huge range of schemes, although not always in the best possible taste...

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/7866600

The big question is - did they have toilets..?

Oh, my. A plane with a lolling tongue.

Regarding your very important question, I have a photo of an airliner version of it, with flight attendant and all, that offers a strong hint behind a door.

Now, was it what the French call a plein-air restroom, with the ramp open and a view? One wonders...

4 hours ago, Todders said:

That is really cool but, I can't help but think it would be funny if you built a really HUGE pair of clown shoes for the cargo area...

The real Skyvan looks like a shoe box with wings. 😉 👍🏽  (My apologies if I have offended any clowns)

Would a Clown fish do for you?

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c9/b0/ee/c9b0eeaac0fce001d73c25e189f7c4f4.jpg

c9b0eeaac0fce001d73c25e189f7c4f4.jpg

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Moa said:

Manners maketh modeler, sir.

He's my bro in Nasty corner !! :cheers:

I'm proud of him !!:rofl2:

Nemo look like a good idea !! You just have to find him !!

CC

• Haha 1

Nice build.

I have an Airix Skyvan on the production line, albeit a 1975 boxing - needless to say it will finished in the Olympic livery. Its a little stalled at the moment as I'm trying to find a solution to replicate the white head rest coverings, I'm receptive to any ideas. I used Eduard seat belts that were meant for the C-47 and they looks good. I intend to use the Eduard webbing for the C-54 for the luggage restraint at the rear adjacent to the loading doors.

As has been mentioned its a rivet queen - but, other than that it scales out pretty well. I have sanded back the very overscale rivets and hopefully there will  only be hint of them when under a coat of paint.

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid