Short Skyvan, Airfix 1/72

1 hour ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

That's a wonderful model! I had no idea that NASA operated the Skyvan.

NASA, and its predecessor, the NACA, has operated a multitude of aircraft of all sorts. As well as actual experimental craft, such as the X-1E or the X-15, it has utilised all sorts of aircraft for for chase duties, general hack and transport work or for conducting aeronautical or scientific experimental and development work. I have a NASA theme to some of my builds (currently on the prowl for NASA decals for a 1/72 T-38. 

I have the AIrfix Skyvan in my stash (since 1977, would you believe) and I plan to complete it in the NASA scheme - some day.

I hope my Skyvan turns out as well as this one.

• Like 3

Beautiful work as usual! I had one of these kits for a brief time but I exchanged it for something else. A fellow modeller used it to convert it into a C-212 Aviocar many years ago!

I think NASA wanted to test the behavior of ugly planes in the hands of astronauts...LOL

Best regards

Ignacio

• Thanks 1

Brilliant job on the Skyvan, Claudio! I think it's that boxy fuselage combined with those absurdly high-aspect ratio wings (more like slats!) that makes the Skyvan a rather remarkable-looking machine.

Regards,

Jason

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Learstang said:

Brilliant job on the Skyvan, Claudio! I think it's that boxy fuselage combined with those absurdly high-aspect ratio wings (more like slats!) that makes the Skyvan a rather remarkable-looking machine.

Regards,

Jason

Thanks Jason

I agree, I love those apparently contradictory lines: elegance and stockiness.

The Hurel-Dubois wing is a very interesting (and efficient) device. Many designs used it, resulting in a similar visual fat-thin combination.

Cheers

• Like 1

I remember looking at this model when I too had an earlier phase of modelling, but somehow it did not appeal at the time. Looking at yours I can see that in the right hands, (not mine), it could be turned into a very good looking model.

P

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I happened on this thread while looking for another aircraft in your current collection thread.  It's rare and very nice to see a build of the 'Five Ton Budgie'.  I'm reminded of an item in Flight International's Straight and Level page back in the 1980s.  It said that it's common for Arab people to be named after the place they were born. So somewhere there's probably an Arab woman called Skyvan.

On 3/25/2019 at 2:27 AM, Alpha Delta 210 said:

That's a wonderful model! I had no idea that NASA operated the Skyvan.

Agree! The NASA usage caught me by surprise as well.

• Like 2