T26E4 Super Pershing Pilot #1 - HobbyBoss 1/35 - Finished and in the Gallery 13/05/19

PlaStix

I bought this kit a while back because it seemed like a lot of kit for £24! - and it is! It got a couple of good reviews and looked like a beast of a tank! The box seems full of plastic and you even get a bit of photoetch. The detail seems nice if a little soft in places. It even has individual track links as well as some rubber band ones.

I cannot wait to get started next weekend!

In the meantime I got the sprues washed in warm soapy water and some photos taken.

Box art:

40492115743_b8785f26fc_h.jpg

I'll put the contents of the box photos in another post later on.

Some information about the Super Pershing can be found here as well as some photos of this actual tank:

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/us/t26e4-super-pershing

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 4

Hobbyboss ain't all that bad stix is it, they do make the odd boo boo, but truth be told, they all do, tis the age of the tinternet, if we didn't have it (the net) we'd probably all be singing hb's praises, look forward to your build and a closer look at the kit

• Thanks 1

Hi Glynn. The only HobbyBoss kit I've made before was a 1/48 Sherman Tank. The final model looked quite good but it was, if I remember correctly, a bit fiddly in places with some parts that didn't have any positive joining areas. So I'll wait and see how I get on with this one. Like you say - all kits have their issues.

Anyway - some photos of the contents - everything in the box:

46543808125_215245b35f_h.jpg

The lower hull looks nicely detailed:

46543807755_9d73928d55_h.jpg

Some subtle texture on the turret:

46735990384_99f4464d30_h.jpg

Nice details on the upper hull:

46543807375_8e84330680_h.jpg

Three bags of track links:

46543807045_841f445984_h.jpg

The links out of the bags:

46543806265_e9b4d6ee3f_h.jpg

Close up:

46543805995_03a41f5a8c_h.jpg

The Photoetch:

46735990094_64257db08e_h.jpg

Sample of the instructions:

46543806705_8e55f7af9d_h.jpg

The painting instructions:

46735989884_cbc5ebb432_h.jpg

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

Stix I wouldn't be disappointed by that at all, it looks very nicely done, the tracks will take time but the mini art ones on my t54 had another 2 sprue Gates per link so that's a bonus 😋

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hewy said:

Stix I wouldn't be disappointed by that at all, it looks very nicely done, the tracks will take time but the mini art ones on my t54 had another 2 sprue Gates per link so that's a bonus 😋

Thanks Glynn - I reckon it is really good value for money compared to even some 1/72 kits. I have a couple of 1/72 Dragon AFV kits that cost almost the same. And apparently the track links are supposed to be okay to make. I've had a go at some AFV Club track links that were really horrible! I'm hoping these will be okay.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

I can imagine!!!

I've seen some kits where there seems to be three or four parts per link with separate guide horns, etc. Needless to say those kits are not in my stash! Shame really because, in a couple of cases, the rest of the kit was really good.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wimbledon99 said:

Hi Stix,

I may join this GB if I complete my CH-46 before my next planned GB but will follow your build with interest in the interim, either way :smile:

Hi Nigel. It would be great if you could take part in this GB! :thumbsup: 🤞 Do you have something suitable in the stash or would you need to get something? Either way - what would you have in mind?

With everything going on with the Pz.IV I haven't had much chance to look around the rest of BM so I'll pop over and have a look at your CH-46 now!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hi Stix,

Good luck with the build. As you say, that looks like a lot of plastic (and PE)

I like the photo of the track links in their bags. And I like the photo of the track links out of their bags, but I'd like to see a photo of the track links halfway out of their bags as well please!

Rearguards

Badder

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Badder said:

but I'd like to see a photo of the track links halfway out of their bags as well please!

I'll see what I can do!! 😜

Kind regards,

Stix

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Nigel. It would be great if you could take part in this GB! :thumbsup: 🤞 Do you have something suitable in the stash or would you need to get something? Either way - what would you have in mind?

With everything going on with the Pz.IV I haven't had much chance to look around the rest of BM so I'll pop over and have a look at your CH-46 now!

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix. I'll have to go and find something if time allows. Will see how I get on 🤞

• Like 1

Hello Stix my apologies i haven't said anything yet. Poor hosting on my part. The T26 model looks to be quite impressive. Adding to that the etch, and individual links should send this one to another level. Ive linked to a set of photo’s i took last year. They're in the reference area and include another version of the real T26e4. Maybe that will help in some way. 

Dennis

• Thanks 1

Heads Up for you Stix. See that rough painted 'A' and '2' on the turret? Only applied when the vehicle was taken to the dump after WW2. In service it wasn't there yet! Nice choice of subject I've got a part built one (naturally) in 1/48th. Onwards and upwards.

Still waiting for my panzer IV photos to arrive though :(

• Thanks 1

Good luck on your build. Even with the help of the group and the pressure from the build, I don't think I am capable of turning a kit like this around in three months. The old Italeri M47 will be enough of a challenge to my mediocrity!

• Thanks 1

On 25/03/2019 at 17:10, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Stix my apologies i haven't said anything yet. Poor hosting on my part. The T26 model looks to be quite impressive. Adding to that the etch, and individual links should send this one to another level. Ive linked to a set of photo’s i took last year. They're in the reference area and include another version of the real T26e4. Maybe that will help in some way. 

Dennis

Hi Dennis. Not a problem at all! Yes it does seem an impressive kit - especially for the price - it still seems to be selling online at around the £24 mark - so suitable for anyone else interested and wants a cheapish 1/35 kit for this GB! And thank you for the reference material too! :thumbsup:

On 26/03/2019 at 14:03, BerndM said:

This kit looks like a well detailed fine kit.

Also well made instructions but this can only show the build.

Hi Bernd and yes it does seem nicely detailed although, as I mentioned, there are a couple of places where the detail is a little 'soft' - but still excellent value for money - as long as it builds up okay! 🤞

On 26/03/2019 at 18:40, SleeperService said:

Heads Up for you Stix. See that rough painted 'A' and '2' on the turret? Only applied when the vehicle was taken to the dump after WW2. In service it wasn't there yet! Nice choice of subject I've got a part built one (naturally) in 1/48th. Onwards and upwards.

Still waiting for my panzer IV photos to arrive though :(

Hi SleeperService and thank you for the heads-up! I did wonder because, on a couple of blurry online photos of the actual tank in Europe, there doesn't seem to be any markings on it at all. Hope your photos arrive soon.

On 26/03/2019 at 23:51, Asmodai said:

Good luck on your build. Even with the help of the group and the pressure from the build, I don't think I am capable of turning a kit like this around in three months. The old Italeri M47 will be enough of a challenge to my mediocrity!

Hi Asmodai and thank you for your comments. I'm not sure I'll get this one done in the timeframe - especially as I discovered something when I got the kit out for the first time at the weekend, to wash the sprues - please see below. And I'm sure you will have a great time building your Italeri M47!! I hope so anyway! 🤞

18 hours ago, Yetifan said:

Looks great (that’s a lot of track links 😲) really looking forward to following this build.

Hi Yetifan and thank you for your comments too. I have to say I am a bit surprised about the quality of the kit in the box for the price. And as you say - all those track links!! Hopefully they will go together okay - there doesn't seem to be any ejector pin marks to remove or disguise - which is a plus already!!

Now I haven't mentioned this yet but, when I got the kit out to check it over and wash the sprues, I suddenly realised that there was, what looked like, engine and transmission parts!!! Sure enough, on checking the instructions, I found it does include the engine compartment! There's no other interior parts but the engine looks like a reasonable version compared to some of the photos and diagrams I could find online. It's missing some of the pipework and cables but otherwise looks okay. The reason I haven't mentioned it was because I wasn't sure I was going to include it in the build. However, having discovered the engine deck hatches have some detail on the insides, I think I am going to include it and leave the hatches open! So I now have individual track links to cut off, clean up and assemble plus an engine to make up, detail and paint! I may not get this finished in time but it should still be a fun project!

If anyone knows of any good photos or diagrams (online) of the Super Pershing's engine compartment - I would be most grateful. I have a couple of diagrams and a poor photo of the engine and transmission but nothing more detailed of the compartment itself.

These are the parts for the engine compartment:

47433002942_9f3c9217e1_h.jpg

Anyway.....roll on the weekend when we can start!!

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 3

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 10:53 PM, Hewy said:

My personal track nightmare were the  bronco sherman  tracks with the seperate duck bills, oh god, still fills me with dread even today

I got this set for my Dragon Firefly…... 

• Sad 1

On 24/03/2019 at 22:08, PlaStix said:

I can imagine!!!

I've seen some kits where there seems to be three or four parts per link with separate guide horns, etc. Needless to say those kits are not in my stash! Shame really because, in a couple of cases, the rest of the kit was really good.

I totally agree, some kits are a little spoiled by over complicated tracks, I seem to remember there were 4 parts to each link on the bronco sherman tracks with the duckbills

Edited by Hewy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BerndM said:

I got this set for my Dragon Firefly…... 

Good luck bernd I don't envy you there, they look good but you have to be incredibly sparing with the glue to make them properly workable, don't try and add the duck bills after you've fitted the tracks, you'll have a hell of a job aligning them, they're difficult enough to  aligne in a home made jig

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And....we're.....off......!!!

I got up early this morning to make start on this! Really been looking forward to building this kit.

First off I decided I wanted to find out how easy the track links were to assemble. The good news is they seem really good...........so far. I've cut about half of them off the sprues but only assembled ten of them. I roughly timed how long it took me to cut the ten off, clean them up - with a file - and click them together. It took just under twenty minutes and I reckon they'll be quicker to do once I'm into a routine. I'm planning on doing only ten at a time or it will be a bit too dull and repetitive - there's 82 links per side. This is how the first ten look:

47498435701_7885a9a235_h.jpg

46583043705_5014a0307a_h.jpg

They click together quite easily and, so far, don't seem like the small pins, that connect them, will snap. They feel properly together as well. I've tried twisting them and pulling them gently and they didn’t come apart:

47498435511_e754d83263_h.jpg

Once I was satisfied the tracks weren’t going to be an issue for this project I decided I'd ignore the instructions a little and start the build with the engine. A couple of hours later I had these together:

46583043555_b0415cd3c6_h.jpg

I now need to decide how much of the engine compartment will be seen through the open hatches as to how much extra detailing I add before getting some paint on.

More later or tomorrow.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 7

28 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

They feel properly together as well. I've tried twisting them and pulling them gently and they didn’t come apart:

This is just not good enough Stix! You must pull harder. And if you can't do it, ask Mrs Stix to lend a hand.

Other than that, I'm shocked to see you've glued some parts together without painting them first! What is going on?

Nice progress though.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Haha 4

On 3/28/2019 at 5:51 PM, Hewy said:

Good luck bernd I don't envy you there, they look good but you have to be incredibly sparing with the glue to make them properly workable, don't try and add the duck bills after you've fitted the tracks, you'll have a hell of a job aligning them, they're difficult enough to  aligne in a home made jig

Thank you. The set brought the kit not really nearer to the bench.

• Like 1

Oh wow I didn't know that this kit came with interior parts! I may have to get one too so I can nick the gearbox & engine for my T92.

Edited by Mig Eater
  • Like 1